U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 10:01 AM

6 posts, read 7,087 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any input about this area? We are thinking of buying in Hinsdale and townhomes seem to be a more affordable option.

Are town homes in that area mostly for older people or are there families with young children living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:08 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,608,226 times
Hinsdale by address only. Be advised this part of Hinsdale is not part of D181, which is a (read: the) major reason people buy in Hinsdale.

If you're a family, I'd recommend using your $350k+ budget to buy a nice SFH home better (read: centrally) located in any of the other charming western burbs. If you go SFH, you avoid the $337/mo HOA fee that Ashbury levies, and you can expand your budget $70-80k. A $370k townhome becomes a $450k house.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 04-28-2015 at 10:42 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 11:57 AM

28,384 posts, read 67,971,595 times
Nope, hworth is wrong, these are part of D181 -- 412 Ashbury Dr., Hinsdale, IL 60521 - Homes by Marco

You won't find a whole of young professional type families (mix is mostly empty nesters with a decent sized portion of divorced moms and dads...) but it is a decent enough quality of construction, great access to the very nice facilities of Katherine Legge Memorial Park (which includes paddles tennis, frisbee golf, dog park and huge amounts of greenspace) as well as convenient access to Hinsdale Central for older kids. Downside of being at Elm is pretty big percentage of the kids are going to be living in literally full on mansion-sized homes that increasingly have been built south of 55th, so the range from "smallest to largest" is pretty stark, but in practice there are lots of decent neighbors that go out of their way to make kids get along with one another...

Resale of townhomes is always tricky. When an older widow passes away their heirs rarely do anything to fix it up so that often makes for depressed prices and even if younger family puts money into modernizing after eight - twelve years or more of living the places look dated again so it is kind of a cycle of never really being in the "charm factor" sweet spot. That said, it is among the more affordable ways to get into the area and if that is your real focus everything is secondary...

Old 04-28-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Nope, hworth is wrong, these are part of D181 -- 412 Ashbury Dr., Hinsdale, IL 60521 - Homes by Marco

You won't find a whole of young professional type families (mix is mostly empty nesters with a decent sized portion of divorced moms and dads...) but it is a decent enough quality of construction, great access to the very nice facilities of Katherine Legge Memorial Park (which includes paddles tennis, frisbee golf, dog park and huge amounts of greenspace) as well as convenient access to Hinsdale Central for older kids. Downside of being at Elm is pretty big percentage of the kids are going to be living in literally full on mansion-sized homes that increasingly have been built south of 55th, so the range from "smallest to largest" is pretty stark, but in practice there are lots of decent neighbors that go out of their way to make kids get along with one another...

Resale of townhomes is always tricky. When an older widow passes away their heirs rarely do anything to fix it up so that often makes for depressed prices and even if younger family puts money into modernizing after eight - twelve years or more of living the places look dated again so it is kind of a cycle of never really being in the "charm factor" sweet spot. That said, it is among the more affordable ways to get into the area and if that is your real focus everything is secondary...
My bad. I'll defer to you. Zillow actually says Center Cass.

412 Ashbury Dr, Hinsdale, IL 60521 is Recently Sold | Zillow

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 04-28-2015 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 12:53 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,865,997 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
My bad. Zillow says Center Cass. I'll defer to you.

412 Ashbury Dr, Hinsdale, IL 60521 is Recently Sold | Zillow
This is definitely something I'd clear up before looking any further... You don't want to be in an uncertain school boundary situation.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
This is definitely something I'd clear up before looking any further... You don't want to be in an uncertain school boundary situation.
This should help: http://www.d181.org/data/files/galle...ap.1218133.pdf

Zillow is way off in this cass. Lolz. SD66 is nowhere near this address. I should've investigated further initially, but instead just glanced quickly at the assigned schools and noticed they weren't D181.

Zillow is worthless. The ratings they pull from GreatSchools aren't even the correct ratings, per the actual site.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 7,087 times
Thanks everyone, very helpful stuff. We really want to be in an area with other toddlers and we want to be in a part of Hinsdale that has a little bit more income equality.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:43 PM

166 posts, read 279,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiano View Post
Thanks everyone, very helpful stuff. We really want to be in an area with other toddlers and we want to be in a part of Hinsdale that has a little bit more income equality.
Do you mean income inequality? Doesn't Hinsdale have income equality, its all high.....LOL

Old 04-29-2015, 06:08 PM

28,384 posts, read 67,971,595 times
You might be surprised by just how many folks that live even in the rather posh parts of town are not particularly flush. I did a LOT of door-to-door work to get good candidates elected to the school board recently and had MANY conversations with folks that honestly admitted that they are not only living in homes that they could never dream of buying at current prices but also rather sympathetic to the younger families that would very much like to buy a modest home before the builders swoop in and replace it with something that costs 3X more. Of course the reality is that when even such soft hearted sellers do decide to downsize they are NOT going to let themselves lose out on potentially hundreds of thousands that very likely is the mainstay of their ongoing plans for healthcare. And of course many of the modest cottage style homes do have so much deferred maintenance that even a handy home buyer would be kind of nuts to attempt to sign up for all the work that might be required to bring all the systems up-to-date...

I have to say that while the turn-out of the election was much better than in recent history and I am mostly happy with the outcomes of the elections there are no easy answers in really making nice towns more affordable to younger buyers that probably share a whole lot of values with folks that may have lived in town before some of the current generation of home shoppers were even born. In the main, the kind of people I am talking about are NOT what one would consider "old money", just regular folks that may have worked in the Loop for a big firm like Sears or Inland or CNA or maybe some tiny law firm that long since was swallowed up and shut down. They just wanted good schools, nice parks and a place with safe streets for their kids 40+ years ago (judging by some of the potholes in Hinsdale some of those streets have not be paved since the 1970s too). The explosion of wealth created in certain financial markets has afforded some people from younger generations the ability to buy those modest homes and replace them with creations that look like they oddly lifted from the countryside outside Paris or the heart of London...

Old 04-30-2015, 09:07 AM

11,972 posts, read 26,865,997 times
Quote:
You might be surprised by just how many folks that live even in the rather posh parts of town are not particularly flush.
While Glen Ellyn is significantly more affordable than Hinsdale, I see the same phenomenon that Chet describes... Long-time homeowners who probably couldn't afford their home's price today if they were just starting out. And the younger families that I see coming in have very high incomes comparatively. Of course we have plenty of high-income older homeowners as well.

I wonder how the housing market will transition when Baby Boomers, who hold the greatest amount of real estate wealth in America, begin aging out of the real estate market. If home prices are still at levels too high for the average American and loans are difficult to obtain, I worry that this will be a painful period for homeowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs