U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:00 AM

3,263 posts, read 4,511,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Yeah, I don't know. I think I'd still pick something that made it easier to get to the Loop, O'Hare, and Oakbrook Terrace. Six trips a month doesn't sound bad, but even daily commuters make only about 20 trips per month. It's still about a third of the time.

I'd still look at closer-in Western suburbs, or even northwestern suburbs like Arlington Heights. If you think the inner suburbs are too packed together, I wills say that things really start to loosen up once you get in to Central DuPage County. There are more open spaces between the towns, less congestion, and larger lots available.

In this case I don't think it makes a lot of sense pay the premium for "walk to train", so you could get a very nice house in the towns that have been recommended.
I guess with that few trips it just comes down to personal preference. Money does just go farther in St. Charles than it does in other western burbs. Many people choose to make a long commute every single day. Nearly every one of my neighbors worked in Chicago when we lived in St. Charles. Most of them drove in daily, too. I couldn't handle that, but maybe if I had a stay at home spouse to do all the cooking, cleaning and yard work I could. I don't know and I doubt I'll ever be in the position to find out.

I agree that in the OP's case paying a premium for a walk to train/town location would be a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 11:02 AM

8 posts, read 6,807 times
Thanks for all the input everyone I am glad I posted here and going to read through everything again now.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:03 AM

Thanks and great info! It will help me a lot.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:45 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,325,826 times
I would definitely look at Naperville and Downers Grove. Great schools and you can get a nice sized house for your money. I agree St Charles is way too far.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:33 PM

211 posts, read 316,122 times
This forum is pretty anti fox valley due to many posters on here wanting proximity to Chicago/the top notch schools in Illinois. I have literally lived my whole life in the city and suburbs of Chicago. For your situation St. Charles is perfect.

Now if you were going to Oak Brook every day and Ohare every day than absolutely not.

The quality of life in St. Charles/Geneva/Batavia is wonderful and the best in the Chicago region in regards to housing/Quality of life.

Do yourself a favor and get off a web forum and experience for yourself. That is the best way. Best of luck. There are tons of great burbs everywhere.

Negative for Fox Valley, very high property taxes, promixity to Chicago and highways outside of Batavia.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:52 PM

495 posts, read 572,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
This forum is pretty anti fox valley due to many posters on here wanting proximity to Chicago/the top notch schools in Illinois. I have literally lived my whole life in the city and suburbs of Chicago. For your situation St. Charles is perfect.

Now if you were going to Oak Brook every day and Ohare every day than absolutely not.

The quality of life in St. Charles/Geneva/Batavia is wonderful and the best in the Chicago region in regards to housing/Quality of life.

Do yourself a favor and get off a web forum and experience for yourself. That is the best way. Best of luck. There are tons of great burbs everywhere.

Negative for Fox Valley, very high property taxes, promixity to Chicago and highways outside of Batavia.
And truthfully, if you want primo highway access in Batavia, it would be best to live on the southeast edge. Highway access in Geneva/STC is nonexistent, though Geneva has the train. Batavia is nestled between UP-W and the BNSF, and if you live north enough in STC/unincorporated STC, you're not too far from the Elgin stations either. And the schools in STC/Geneva/Batavia are just a hair beneath Naperville, so you're really not sacrificing anything in the education arena either if you move out to here.

I echo westburbs that the Fox Valley is a truly unique place to live. These river towns have kind of a fun, quirky character.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:18 PM

Default Great and thanks for the feedback

Quote:

Thanks again!

Old 04-30-2015, 02:24 PM

28,384 posts, read 67,987,556 times
Default Hmm...

Quote:

Did I miss the part where even the OP is RELOCATING to Illinois they will essentially be "working from home"?

Or is this accurate --
Quote:
driving distance to the airport and the city, will also be working on Oak Brook Terrace.
?

Because, no two ways about it, driving to/from CHICAGO, OAKBROOK TERRACE and/or the Airports on any kind of regular basis from a home in the greater Fox Valley is unnecessarily lengthy. Distance wise this is going to DOUBLE one's commute, factor the lack of commuter rail to towns like Batavia or St. Charles as well the flow of commuters from other parts of the Fox Valley it the traffic headaches will likely mean MORE THAN DOUBLE the travel times.

Truth be told I do like the Fox Valley. I have friends that live in Batavia, St. Charles, Aurora, and Geneva. Some of them did in fact grow up and have family in the area. Others relocated to the area. The majority of the folks that I know do, however, have jobs that are significantly closer to the Fox Valley and that is why living there works out for them. Honestly, driving east of about Lisle on any routine basis is going to just about kill anyone's spirit on the days that they have to endure tie ups caused by the unpredictable but unavoidable complications due to roadwork, weather, collisions and every other kind of nonsense that turns what can be an altogether not too bad 20+ mile / 45 minute trip into something that EASILY will be double that. And the crazy part is that SINCE THERE IS NO WESTERN ACCESS to O'Hare you are going to easily drive 50 miles EVERYTIME you head to the airport, hundred mile round trips are pretty NUTS!

OP can certainly figure this out "on the ground" and I actively encourage folks contemplating a relocation to the area to PLEASE check-in with a hotel near where home or office is and certainly drive the route once or twice so that you are not blindsided by the wacky variability of how even things like a nice clear / bright day can result in traffic slowdowns due to SUN GLARE!

Old 04-30-2015, 02:41 PM

3,263 posts, read 4,511,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Did I miss the part where even the OP is RELOCATING to Illinois they will essentially be "working from home"?

Or is this accurate -- ?

Because, no two ways about it, driving to/from CHICAGO, OAKBROOK TERRACE and/or the Airports on any kind of regular basis from a home in the greater Fox Valley is unnecessarily lengthy. Distance wise this is going to DOUBLE one's commute, factor the lack of commuter rail to towns like Batavia or St. Charles as well the flow of commuters from other parts of the Fox Valley it the traffic headaches will likely mean MORE THAN DOUBLE the travel times.

Truth be told I do like the Fox Valley. I have friends that live in Batavia, St. Charles, Aurora, and Geneva. Some of them did in fact grow up and have family in the area. Others relocated to the area. The majority of the folks that I know do, however, have jobs that are significantly closer to the Fox Valley and that is why living there works out for them. Honestly, driving east of about Lisle on any routine basis is going to just about kill anyone's spirit on the days that they have to endure tie ups caused by the unpredictable but unavoidable complications due to roadwork, weather, collisions and every other kind of nonsense that turns what can be an altogether not too bad 20+ mile / 45 minute trip into something that EASILY will be double that. And the crazy part is that SINCE THERE IS NO WESTERN ACCESS to O'Hare you are going to easily drive 50 miles EVERYTIME you head to the airport, hundred mile round trips are pretty NUTS!

OP can certainly figure this out "on the ground" and I actively encourage folks contemplating a relocation to the area to PLEASE check-in with a hotel near where home or office is and certainly drive the route once or twice so that you are not blindsided by the wacky variability of how even things like a nice clear / bright day can result in traffic slowdowns due to SUN GLARE!
The OP will commute to either Chicago, Oak Brook Terrace or O'Hare a total of 7 times per month. They are mostly working from home.

Honestly, there are thousands of people who commute from the Fox Valley to Chicago every single day who could afford to live further east, but they don't. They like the lifestyle they have enough to keep that up for years/decades. If the OP doesn't mind the commute they seem like a pretty good candidate for living in the Fox Valley if there is one.

My brother in law commutes from St. Charles to Franklin Park every single day. I don't think he considers his life horrible. I know he wants to get a larger house, and they're pretty much looking in St. Charles and Geneva exclusively. So, people do make these commutes and still manage to have a high quality of life.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:01 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,608,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
The OP will commute to either Chicago, Oak Brook Terrace or O'Hare a total of 7 times per month. They are mostly working from home.

Honestly, there are thousands of people who commute from the Fox Valley to Chicago every single day who could afford to live further east, but they don't. They like the lifestyle they have enough to keep that up for years/decades. If the OP doesn't mind the commute they seem like a pretty good candidate for living in the Fox Valley if there is one.

My brother in law commutes from St. Charles to Franklin Park every single day. I don't think he considers his life horrible. I know he wants to get a larger house, and they're pretty much looking in St. Charles and Geneva exclusively. So, people do make these commutes and still manage to have a high quality of life.
As far as I understood, the OP is simply satellite shopping right now, via Zillow et al, and was drawn to the area simply by the "bang for your buck" factor. I think its important he understand the kind of lifestyle trade-offs that happen west of the Fox. Chet pointed out some valid issues in a previous post. West of the Fox, the spread between the houses can become so great as to really make it difficult for kids to get out on the street and play together the way they would in a more traditional neighborhood. Cliquey associations and long commutes to school may further compound issues for shy children in a new town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or