U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:31 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,504,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
As far as I understood, the OP is simply satellite shopping right now, via Zillow et al, and was drawn to the area simply by the "bang for your buck" factor. I think its important he understand the kind of lifestyle trade-offs that happen west of the Fox. Chet pointed out some valid issues in a previous post. West of the Fox, the spread between the houses can become so great as to really make it difficult for kids to get out on the street and play together the way they would in a more traditional neighborhood. Cliquey associations and long commutes to school may further compound issues for shy children in a new town.
I suppose. My sisters and I were all new students and none of us are particularly outgoing and we all managed to make friends. I got a pretty late start since we didn't move there until I started high school and most people had established friends from middle school. I think being new in any school is tough; I don't think it was any tougher in STC than it would have been anywhere else. But that is only my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:33 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,845,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
This forum is pretty anti fox valley due to many posters on here wanting proximity to Chicago/the top notch schools in Illinois.
I am not anti-Fox Valley. Geneva is probably one of my top five favorite suburbs, and I also like many things about St. Charles, Batavia, and even Aurora. It just seems to needlessly complicate life for out OP in this case, unless housing affordability trumps all else.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:17 PM

495 posts, read 571,321 times
I will concur that in the Tri-Cities, it is very dependent on where you live if you want the "walkability" to school or having a more compact neighborhood. The west side of Batavia (can't speak for all the Tri-Cities, but know that they have similar situations) that has more established housing, in most cases, has very logical boundaries for school districts. The east (usually newer) sides, have far less sense (i.e. I had to drive past two elementary schools to get to my assigned one).

That doesn't mean you won't find that situation, and I would argue that though lots get spacious in the Tri-Cities, many of the neighborhoods can be closely knit, and aren't necessarily cliquey. But I will also admit that does occur.

However if you want a house on a decent chunk of land for a good price, I think the Tri-Cities would be for you, or even the northern Aurora part that feeds into D204 or Batavia, where similar housing stock and large lots exist (similarly with an even nicer price tag since Aurora, for some people, carries "connotations").

Old 04-30-2015, 05:55 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,605,903 times
For folks driving to work, Batavia is a viable option. For those interested in a transit commute to the Loop, Geneva is viable. Saint Charles is a tough sell though. It has neither the highway access nor the Metra stop, and just feels "out there." And the property tax rates are approaching levels of ridiculousness that are ridiculous even for Chicagoland. I'm seeing $14k bills on $450k homes. WOW.

All IMO of course. Except the tax part. Dats fo real.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:54 PM

211 posts, read 315,644 times
There is a lot of old money in St. Charles and some in Geneva as well. But on the most part it is middle to upper class families. The school districts, park districts, etc. are top of the line. But the big charm lies in the people and the downtown settings which are hilly(Illinois hilly) and just beautiful with the Fox River.

I know many many people who commute all over. Not just from this area, but I know a couple from Plainfield who commute to NorthBrook, a couple from Downers Grove who commutes to Elgin, etc. etc.

Again my main thing is to spend a day in different communities. If it is important to be downtown everyday or every other day The Fox Valley is not for you. It is geared to families(St. Charles was voted by one service as the best place to raise a family).

Things like highway access, trains, etc I have found is waaaaaaay more important on web sites than in real life. Most don't even give it a second thought unless they commute downtown in which I have always said, I would not live in Fox Valley if that was my case.

Good luck!

Old 05-01-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
There is a lot of old money in St. Charles and some in Geneva as well. But on the most part it is middle to upper class families. The school districts, park districts, etc. are top of the line. But the big charm lies in the people and the downtown settings which are hilly(Illinois hilly) and just beautiful with the Fox River.

I know many many people who commute all over. Not just from this area, but I know a couple from Plainfield who commute to NorthBrook, a couple from Downers Grove who commutes to Elgin, etc. etc.

Again my main thing is to spend a day in different communities. If it is important to be downtown everyday or every other day The Fox Valley is not for you. It is geared to families(St. Charles was voted by one service as the best place to raise a family).

Things like highway access, trains, etc I have found is waaaaaaay more important on web sites than in real life. Most don't even give it a second thought unless they commute downtown in which I have always said, I would not live in Fox Valley if that was my case.

Good luck!
Batavia also was voted one of the best places to raise a family in 2009 by CNN Money and they are expanding the Tanglewood Hills subdivision.

Interestingly, latest census stats show that, on average, a Batavia family makes more than a Geneva family (I know, what a shocker, right?!).

Don't count Batavia out either. As hworth said, if you want the primo highway access, Batavia is your best bet.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:38 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,605,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Batavia also was voted one of the best places to raise a family in 2009 by CNN Money and they are expanding the Tanglewood Hills subdivision.

Interestingly, latest census stats show that, on average, a Batavia family makes more than a Geneva family (I know, what a shocker, right?!).

Don't count Batavia out either. As hworth said, if you want the primo highway access, Batavia is your best bet.
What latest census data? I took the 2014 American Community Survey last year, and I've been wondering when the results will be published. Haven't seen any yet...

Old 05-01-2015, 07:49 AM

2013 numbers, I believe. So I'm holding onto that, as of now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or