U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 08:09 PM

341 posts, read 259,712 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a SW suburb of Chicago, IL. I am looking to move to a small town outside Chicago land/Chicago area. My background is in Early Childhood. I am in my 30's and single. Any advice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CVLVaBECuc
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 12:05 PM

62 posts, read 64,727 times
You have to go mid-state or farther for those types of towns. The two that I'm most familiar with are Mahomet and Monticello. Mahomet is about 15 miles from Champaign and Monticello is about 25 miles from both Champaign and Decatur. Mahomet is the pricier of the two because of its location, but professionals live in both towns because of their proximity to Champaign/Urbana. You'd probably get more responses in the Illinois forum.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:45 AM

3,783 posts, read 5,526,561 times
I don't know how small they are but most towns outside Chicago and its suburbs are fairly small save a few. A few that I have heard of are Beardstown, IL, Princeton, IL, and Sandwich, IL.

They all seem to have nice little downtown areas with shops and Beardstown was popularized by the so called Beardstown Ladies who wrote a book about investing in the stock market and it became a best seller. Princeton and Sandwich seem to have some antique type shops so sometimes they come on the radar screen of those in the Chicago area. These places are easy to visit and I would encourage you to take a drive to them to see them.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:33 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,322,982 times
Check out Hebron, Union, Genoa, Hampshire, Pingree Grove, Gilberts, Cortland, Maple Park, Elburn, Sugar Grove, Somonauk, Channahon, Peotone, Manhattan, Manteno, Mommence, Beecher, Monee, and Crete. They're all nice small towns that are still in the Chicagoland area.

Look at NW Indiana too. Not far from Chicago and it's actually still part of the Chicagoland area and it's less expensive. In NWI, look at Lowell, Lake Village, Hebron, Winfield, De Motte, and Fair Oaks.

Also, look at SE Wisconsin too. It's not far from Chicago and is cheaper than the Chicagoland area. However, it's more expensive and further from Chicago than NWI, but still worth looking into. Look at Bristol, Salem, Silver Lake, Paddock Lake, Wilmot, New Munster, Somers, and Sturtevant.

Last edited by 4122; 05-02-2015 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or