U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 05:51 AM

3 posts, read 2,122 times

Advertisements

We are a couple in our early-mid thirties with no children (no plans in the near future either).

Would like a safe neighborhood that has good options for restaurants nearby. My husband flies a lot for work so a drive that isn't too overwhelming to the airport would be ideal (though we don't want to live so close that we hear planes all the time).

Our budget is around 400k give or take. We'd like a 3 bed, 2 bath 1700+ sq feet.
We also want a lot thats at least 0.25 acres.

Would also prefer an established neighborhood that's tree lined if possible. We are ok doing some work but not a complete overhaul.

We would super appreciate some recommendations for areas/neighborhoods that would suit our needs. I'm not entirely sure where to start.

Thanks so much
S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 06:47 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,538,963 times
You don't say what your budget is. Park Ridge is a very nice community and is just about as close to the airport as you can get without being right next door. There have been some noise issues there recently so I would look into it. Park Ridge has the good schools and tree lined streets you are looking for.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:49 AM

650 posts, read 603,546 times
check out (VISIT and SEE) La Grange ~ my favorite...

Old 05-06-2015, 07:04 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,609,706 times
O'Hare or Midway?

"Good options for restaurants nearby" -- meaning an active, walkable core? As in a historic downtown district with charming boutiques, coffee houses, bars, locally owned restaurants and the like? Or are you looking for more of a car-centric area with national retailers and big chain restaurants?

La Grange and Naperville have the largest, most active downtown districts in Chicagoland. Park Ridge is a good alternative, as well as Elmhurst, Wheaton and Arlington Heights.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:06 AM

I do like La Grange very much.......its quite far from O Hare but closer to Midway. If you fly southwest, you will need to consider close to Midway, if you fly United, then O Hare.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 AM

650 posts, read 603,546 times
Hi Toria, O'Hare is usually a 20-25M drive for us. We usually use 5thAve's cab service (40$) for the drive in a audi.

Last edited by JJski; 05-06-2015 at 07:26 AM..

Old 05-06-2015, 07:25 AM

Wow you must fly in a speed drone. It takes me at least 45 min or an hour to get from Wheaton to Berwyn. I guess you can take La grange road all the way north but still for me it would take me at least 45 min. And I have a current speeding ticket on my record too. I can't reconcile the quick quick timeframe people quote on here for drives. Yes Sunday mornings you can fly...but not other times. I live in south wheaton and it takes about twenty minutes to get to downtown Naperville in good times. Takes me seven min. to get to the train station and I live only a few miles away. I've specifically timed these times as I am a nut stickler about getting places on time.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:58 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,609,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Wow you must fly in a speed drone. It takes me at least 45 min or an hour to get from Wheaton to Berwyn. I guess you can take La grange road all the way north but still for me it would take me at least 45 min. And I have a current speeding ticket on my record too. I can't reconcile the quick quick timeframe people quote on here for drives. Yes Sunday mornings you can fly...but not other times. I live in south wheaton and it takes about twenty minutes to get to downtown Naperville in good times. Takes me seven min. to get to the train station and I live only a few miles away. I've specifically timed these times as I am a nut stickler about getting places on time.
I'm confused by this.

La Grange enjoys decent proximity to O'Hare and I can't imagine the drive taking more than 25 minutes.

And I regularly drive to downtown Naperville from Wheaton and it's never taken 25 minutes from the Danada/South Wheaton area. Danada to downtown Naperville is only ~5 miles, and with limited street lights. The trip is 15 minutes tops with traffic. I've found Naper/Diehl/Washington to be the quickest route. Google Maps is quoting 10 mins right now.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
O'Hare or Midway?

"Good options for restaurants nearby" -- meaning an active, walkable core? As in a historic downtown district with charming boutiques, coffee houses, bars, locally owned restaurants and the like? Or are you looking for more of a car-centric area with national retailers and big chain restaurants?

La Grange and Naperville have the largest, most active downtown districts in Chicagoland. Park Ridge is a good alternative, as well as Elmhurst, Wheaton and Arlington Heights.
@holl1ngsworth
We would love an area with a historic downtown, with charming boutiques, coffee shops etc... It doesn't have to be walking distance from our home. We don't frequent big chain restaurants very often at all so that would definitely not be a priority.

I would say he would mostly be flying out of O'Hare and occasionally out of Midway. Closer to O'Hare would be better.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:24 AM

3,263 posts, read 4,513,863 times
Elmhurst would be a good option. There are plenty of houses that meet your requirements within your budget.

https://www.redfin.com/city/29479/IL...market=chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or