Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:30 AM

45 posts, read 66,663 times

Advertisements

Hi! Have been thinking about moving to Northwest suburbs from Chicago and stopped on Rolling Meadows.
Would like to hear any thoughts on how good or bad this town is.
Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 11:41 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,233 times
Well, I live right nearby in Palatine - and frankly, really like Rolling Meadows. Their downtown area off of Kirchoff (so to speak) is having trouble, but being where it is (by Arlington Heights, Palatine, etc.) you have plenty of options for grocery shopping, etc. Algonquin Road has plenty of options for dining, shopping, etc.

It's convenient for the train - there's a huge world-class hospital - the track (Arlington International Racetrack) is right there - I have never actually lived there, but find myself there often.

Are you considering renting or buying?

Oh - welcome, new neighbor!

Old 05-26-2015, 12:00 PM

Thank you for advice, missy2u.
Buying

Old 05-26-2015, 02:21 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
You need to be careful exactly where in Rolling Meadows you end up. The hospital and race track mentioned above are in Arlington Heights - as is the train station, not in Rolling Meadows. Rolling Meadows has some sketchy areas and apartment complexes to avoid, but it also has some nice areas too. If schools matter, watch very carefully where you are because school quality can vary quite a bit from so-so (Rolling Meadows High School) to excellent (Fremd High School).

Old 05-26-2015, 02:34 PM

We were looking at single family homes around Algonquin and Weber. Is it nice area?

Old 05-27-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
You need to be careful exactly where in Rolling Meadows you end up. The hospital and race track mentioned above are in Arlington Heights - as is the train station, not in Rolling Meadows. Rolling Meadows has some sketchy areas and apartment complexes to avoid, but it also has some nice areas too. If schools matter, watch very carefully where you are because school quality can vary quite a bit from so-so (Rolling Meadows High School) to excellent (Fremd High School).
wjj is correct - the hospital and track, are, technically, in Arlington Heights - but for all intents and purposes, I consider that part of A/H and R/M almost interchangeable. The track is 100 yards from the courthouse across the street and the courthouse address is Rolling Meadows - so I figure six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Personally, I'd be careful of buying in certain areas of Rolling Meadows as well - I'd tend towards the western part closer to Palatine than Arlington Heights - but since I've never purchased nor have any real experience in that, don't take my word for it - I'm sure someone else will have MUCH more to offer when buying a property in the area - rentals, I'd have had ya covered.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:16 PM

I've heard, that part of RM west to Route 53 is better compare to east one. in my opinion everything is subjective and relative. But I could be wrong as well So, what factors impact "good" and "bad" description of different parts of the same town? And on the example of Rolling Meadows, if west part is better, how much worse east part is?..

Old 05-28-2015, 11:42 PM

It's subjective, but east of 53 has a lot of gang problems along with the resultant crime. The majority of low income rental properties are there. West of 53 tends to be more homes. Again, this is only my opinion - I could be biased because we have a police scanner and hear the calls. We also read all the local papers.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:10 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
It's subjective, but east of 53 has a lot of gang problems along with the resultant crime. The majority of low income rental properties are there. West of 53 tends to be more homes. Again, this is only my opinion - I could be biased because we have a police scanner and hear the calls. We also read all the local papers.
Agree. Plus some of the western portion of RM feeds into Fremd HS, which is a very large step up from RMHS.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:59 AM

Thank you all for repliesMu budget is 250,000. So, which part of Rolling Meadows can I get a single family home with 3 bdr/ 1.5-2 baths?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs