Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburban area offers the most?
Northern Suburbs 65 47.45%
Western Suburbs 61 44.53%
Southern Suburbs 11 8.03%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 01:27 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times

Advertisements

North >> West >> South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 09:04 PM

474 posts, read 530,209 times
IMO western suburbs have the most breadth of built environment, density, race, class, etc. Unfortunately like the rest of Chicagoland they can be quite segregated, but I think there's something to be found for any lifestyle. Plus it has the best Chinese and Mexican food of any of the directions, which is a priority for me

That said, it would be nice to see Lake Michigan more often. North suburbs are great for this, south suburbs not so much as that stretch of the lakefront is very industrial. I know there are plenty of beaches out that way, but I don't know that I'd want to go to swimming anywhere surrounded by oil refineries and steel factories. (As an aside, that's also why I prefer Warren Dunes/Sleeping Bear in Michigan over Indiana Dunes.)

Old 06-20-2021, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,710 times
Having grown up in the south suburbs of Chicago, just over the border from Indiana, having spent 5 years in Barrington village, and having lived on the north side of Chicago for 13 years, I have a very formed opinion on this question. Please note, though, everyone is different.

Though I live in Chicago, I spend the majority of my time in the north suburbs. It is simply easier to get around. I live one block from the Chicago/Niles border…if I drive 1/2 mile south, traffic becomes nearly unbearable. My children attend CPS and we purposefully moved BACK to the city from Barrington. We love it here! But, yes, the suburbs tend to be more convenient. I am a stay at home mom, and I tote my kids all over the north shore. Yes, we pay extra for the beaches (and the pools) as non-residents. What do we get in return? Incredible beauty. Natural beauty that is enhanced by gracious homes and gorgeous, lush trees. I love that other people appreciate it, too. There is park after park after beach that we can explore and tromp around in. We spend our weekends at Ravinia, the Chicago Botanic Gardens, biking the Green Bay and the North Branch Trails. We drive, a bit, but it is nothing like needing to drive to these areas from the northwest, west, or south side. The city is close—when there’s no traffic for date nights or when I want to take my kids to one of the other Chicago neighborhoods.
Each area of Chicago is unique; but in terms of what they offer, nothing beats the northshore. We have, beaches,, beauty, Northwestern (fun to poke around), diverse restaurants, glorious old homes, nature, Old Orchard! (Less crowded than Oak Brook), etc. The towns are all connected as well, so you can bike, run or drive your way through.

It’s a fun place to take a Sunday drive, if you’ve never been!

I could go on and on. Life certainly isn’t perfect, but we have found our corner of the earth to be quite idyllic.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:02 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
I grew up in the North burbs, specifically Niles and recently moved to the Western burbs namely Lombard. I prefer DuPage county to Cook or Lake. DuPage is better run and the amenities are better. There is also less big government democrap. I can take my dog to the park for a nice walk whereas in Niles and Morton Grove all the parks had obnoxious no dogs allowed signs. I don't have to purchase ugly vehicle stickers, there are fewer red light scameras. I also don't have to deal with with President Pigswindle and her corrupt douche county government. I feel safer with Bob Berlin as State's Attorney vs Kim Foxx. In short, the fewer Democrats helping the working people the better my life is.

If Indiana were a viable commute though I would prefer it. I don't enjoy living under Democrat rule. They have done nothing to improve my life and I can see no redeeming qualities in their party.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 06-20-2021 at 04:18 PM..

Old 06-07-2023, 11:49 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
I thought I would bump up this thread and compare the CULTURAL VIBE of these three suburban regions of Chicagoland based on the fact that I have dated three girlfriends from Chicagoland throughout my life, each from the different suburban regions of Chicagoland. (I have been living in Southern California for over a decade and my now girlfriend is originally from New Jersey, and is the best relationship I've had - we learn who we're compatible with as we get older). While one can not generalize about a whole region based on one person, I still nonetheless, each of the three girls/women in many represent the cultural vibe of all three suburban regions of Chicagoland.

North Suburbs I grew in Buffalo Grove, right by the Arlington Hts border (literally the neighbors in back were in AH). Buffalo Grove is about 1/4 Jewish and has been for decades, including when I was growing up there in the 80s and 90s, as are several other nearby northern suburbs (Northbrook, Highland Park, etc.) My first girlfriend in high school was half Filipina, half German-American. One of my other good friends was also mixed race (half Jewish, half Chinese). I've known many people over the years from across Chicagoland, and there are comparatively few Jews or mixed White and Asian people in the West and South Suburbs. I knows it a bit of a stereotype, but it really is true that Jews (at least, reform and secular Jews, not talking about conservative/Orthodox Jews)are on average more open-minded and judgmental of other marginalized people, less conforming to rigid gender roles, and more attune to arts and culture than the population on average. Today, Buffalo Grove is one of the few Chicago suburbs that actually has its own pride parade (for the last several years) and my high school girlfriend, (now married with two kids still living in the Northwest suburbs) posts on Facebook where she are her husband bring their kids to the event. Pride events from what I know are non-existent in the West or South suburbs.

West Suburbs My first girlfriend I had after I moved to SoCal/LA was about the same age as me, and moved from Chicago to LA around the same time I did so we had some of those basic roots in common. She was born in Glen Ellyn, but most grew up in St. Charles, and went to Catholic high school. Her parents were born and raised in DuPage County when DuPage County suburbs were more small townish. As opposed to my parents who were born and raised in the city and moved out to the suburbs later. Though she thinks she is a tough, sophisticated, big city woman because she lived much of her post college, adult life in Chicago proper (Lincoln Park and Bucktown, lol) she does seem to have a bit more parochial and insular mindset. She and her siblings chose very "safe" careers in finance (sister went for a career in the military), she seemed to have limited experience growing up around people that weren't of Western European descent (her ethnic background was Irish and Swedish and had no extended family from the old country), though she had a typical rebellious phase as a teenager, where she was into punk music, and left the Catholic faith, she has an extremely fiscally conservative outlook, and has a very limited preference of what an attractive man looks like. (more corporate/preppy, anything that looked too blue collared OR even slightly gender fluid was unattractive).

South Suburbs I dated a woman, several years older than me through a group of friends, several of which grew up in the South Suburbs but then moved to the West Suburbs. (more jobs, nice neighborhoods, etc.) Rather typical South Sider/South Suburbanite. Hard core White Sox fan, thought Cubs fans were all yuppies, etc. born and raised in Summit, a rougher working class area with toxic waste and heavy industrial sites, she could have a rather, no-nonsense tough attitude. Was of a mix of Eastern European backgrounds (Polish, Lithuanian, etc.) and a semi-practicing Catholic, and while she worked an office job downtown the time we were dating, she worked as a railroad engineer, after a short career as a teacher. Though, she liked the fact that I came across as more sophisticated than other guys she dated and married to, and liked the fact I didn't say bigoted and racist things like her ex-husband, she thought it was a little weird that she followed sports more than I did. It was hard to make that work, with the age difference. She always thought I was going to cheat on her with a younger woman, so that was the shortest of the three. Eventually married another railroad engineer, they moved to St. Louis for awhile, and then eventually back to the South/SW suburbs (Tinley Park).

Anyways, like I said, while one can't generalize about the culture and vibe of a region, I think all three women are somewhat representative of the North, West, and, South suburbs respectively.

Last edited by Tex?Il?; 06-07-2023 at 12:24 PM..

Old 07-22-2023, 03:12 PM

29 posts, read 32,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
IMO western suburbs have the most breadth of built environment, density, race, class, etc. Unfortunately like the rest of Chicagoland they can be quite segregated, but I think there's something to be found for any lifestyle. Plus it has the best Chinese and Mexican food of any of the directions, which is a priority for me

That said, it would be nice to see Lake Michigan more often. North suburbs are great for this, south suburbs not so much as that stretch of the lakefront is very industrial. I know there are plenty of beaches out that way, but I don't know that I'd want to go to swimming anywhere surrounded by oil refineries and steel factories. (As an aside, that's also why I prefer Warren Dunes/Sleeping Bear in Michigan over Indiana Dunes.)
Definitely agreed with this. Im from the West burbs and they are very diverse. Lots of good Mexican, Indian, Persian, Mediterranean, and Chinese food in the area too.

Old 07-27-2023, 06:46 AM

5 posts, read 4,409 times
North and West are a wash (I give a slight edge to the north). South is hands down the least desirable in general, I know there are really nice areas however.

The only difference IMO is West gives a little newer suburban feel, it's a little more diverse and integrated racially. Most of the towns and schools are good. I think you have to be a little more picky with the areas though because some towns are a little meh or not so good.

North is great and has more of a slightly urban/suburban feel in some areas with a typical suburban feel in others. Does lack a lot of diversity in some areas and integration. Much more of an old-money feel with culture and values due to being close to the north shore.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:32 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I thought I would bump up this thread and compare the CULTURAL VIBE of these three suburban regions of Chicagoland based on the fact that I have dated three girlfriends from Chicagoland throughout my life, each from the different suburban regions of Chicagoland. (I have been living in Southern California for over a decade and my now girlfriend is originally from New Jersey, and is the best relationship I've had - we learn who we're compatible with as we get older). While one can not generalize about a whole region based on one person, I still nonetheless, each of the three girls/women in many represent the cultural vibe of all three suburban regions of Chicagoland.

North Suburbs I grew in Buffalo Grove, right by the Arlington Hts border (literally the neighbors in back were in AH). Buffalo Grove is about 1/4 Jewish and has been for decades, including when I was growing up there in the 80s and 90s, as are several other nearby northern suburbs (Northbrook, Highland Park, etc.) My first girlfriend in high school was half Filipina, half German-American. One of my other good friends was also mixed race (half Jewish, half Chinese). I've known many people over the years from across Chicagoland, and there are comparatively few Jews or mixed White and Asian people in the West and South Suburbs. I knows it a bit of a stereotype, but it really is true that Jews (at least, reform and secular Jews, not talking about conservative/Orthodox Jews)are on average more open-minded and judgmental of other marginalized people, less conforming to rigid gender roles, and more attune to arts and culture than the population on average. Today, Buffalo Grove is one of the few Chicago suburbs that actually has its own pride parade (for the last several years) and my high school girlfriend, (now married with two kids still living in the Northwest suburbs) posts on Facebook where she are her husband bring their kids to the event. Pride events from what I know are non-existent in the West or South suburbs.

West Suburbs My first girlfriend I had after I moved to SoCal/LA was about the same age as me, and moved from Chicago to LA around the same time I did so we had some of those basic roots in common. She was born in Glen Ellyn, but most grew up in St. Charles, and went to Catholic high school. Her parents were born and raised in DuPage County when DuPage County suburbs were more small townish. As opposed to my parents who were born and raised in the city and moved out to the suburbs later. Though she thinks she is a tough, sophisticated, big city woman because she lived much of her post college, adult life in Chicago proper (Lincoln Park and Bucktown, lol) she does seem to have a bit more parochial and insular mindset. She and her siblings chose very "safe" careers in finance (sister went for a career in the military), she seemed to have limited experience growing up around people that weren't of Western European descent (her ethnic background was Irish and Swedish and had no extended family from the old country), though she had a typical rebellious phase as a teenager, where she was into punk music, and left the Catholic faith, she has an extremely fiscally conservative outlook, and has a very limited preference of what an attractive man looks like. (more corporate/preppy, anything that looked too blue collared OR even slightly gender fluid was unattractive).

South Suburbs I dated a woman, several years older than me through a group of friends, several of which grew up in the South Suburbs but then moved to the West Suburbs. (more jobs, nice neighborhoods, etc.) Rather typical South Sider/South Suburbanite. Hard core White Sox fan, thought Cubs fans were all yuppies, etc. born and raised in Summit, a rougher working class area with toxic waste and heavy industrial sites, she could have a rather, no-nonsense tough attitude. Was of a mix of Eastern European backgrounds (Polish, Lithuanian, etc.) and a semi-practicing Catholic, and while she worked an office job downtown the time we were dating, she worked as a railroad engineer, after a short career as a teacher. Though, she liked the fact that I came across as more sophisticated than other guys she dated and married to, and liked the fact I didn't say bigoted and racist things like her ex-husband, she thought it was a little weird that she followed sports more than I did. It was hard to make that work, with the age difference. She always thought I was going to cheat on her with a younger woman, so that was the shortest of the three. Eventually married another railroad engineer, they moved to St. Louis for awhile, and then eventually back to the South/SW suburbs (Tinley Park).

Anyways, like I said, while one can't generalize about the culture and vibe of a region, I think all three women are somewhat representative of the North, West, and, South suburbs respectively.
Interesting post, thanks for posting this! In a way, I could see how all these thoughts are true.

While traditionally I see the stereotypes about the north suburbs, west suburbs, and south suburbs, I see some exceptions to this rule. Such as that even certain west suburbs have long felt underinvested and declining, such as Maywood and Bellwood. Even Broadview had some pockets, which felt like they've seen better days.

And as much as the south suburbs often seem to be ripped, there are some places that've held up to this day, like Homewood, Flossmoor, and Matteson. I'd say even Lansing still seems somewhat nice, to this day. I wish Harvey hadn't declined so much, since with the architecture there in its downtown, you get that sense it used to be much more successful than it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs