Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburban area offers the most?
Northern Suburbs 65 47.45%
Western Suburbs 61 44.53%
Southern Suburbs 11 8.03%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:14 AM

110 posts, read 277,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHunter View Post
I think the lake stabilizes the temperature. Temperatures along the lake are cooler in summer and warmer in winter than further inland. North burbs of chicago get very little lake effect snow.
This seems like an interesting way of articulating a tolerance of when it's really frickin' cold in the spring and early summer compared to other areas. In the winter, the only time the lake really does anything is overnight when it gets really cold inland. As far as snow, about 85% of the area sits west of the lake, so the same can be said for the entire region about the lack of lack-effect snow.

As far as stabilizing, the lake isn't stabilizing anything, because during the times that you mention, the temperatures along the lake are outliers compared to the rest of the region. Stabilizing suggests that the temperatures along the lake are independently higher or lower, and the lake is bringing it into balance with the rest of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 10:13 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
I lived a half block in from Lake Shore Drive until moving to the burbs two years ago... I don't miss the cold winds coming off the lake or the extra "lake effect" precipitation. I do miss the cool lake breezes in the Summer... Unfortunately in Chicago we are much more affected by cold winds and "lake effect" precipitation.

That said, I still think the North Shore is quite lovely.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:38 AM

107 posts, read 247,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_H_2 View Post
This seems like an interesting way of articulating a tolerance of when it's really frickin' cold in the spring and early summer compared to other areas. In the winter, the only time the lake really does anything is overnight when it gets really cold inland. As far as snow, about 85% of the area sits west of the lake, so the same can be said for the entire region about the lack of lack-effect snow.

As far as stabilizing, the lake isn't stabilizing anything, because during the times that you mention, the temperatures along the lake are outliers compared to the rest of the region. Stabilizing suggests that the temperatures along the lake are independently higher or lower, and the lake is bringing it into balance with the rest of the region.
If it is cold in early spring it is warmer in the fall. Its a wash. The lake keeps the temperature more steady (stabilizes). As the temperature rises in the spring it takes longer by the lake because the lake water temperature is so cold. Same in the fall, the water is warm so it takes longer to cool down. Google it.

From NOAA.gov:
The large thermal mass of the lake tends to moderate temperatures, causing cooler summers and warmer winters.

Having your own private boat launch and beach on lake michigan is a pretty sweet deal. I used to live in chicago and dealing with launching my boat at Diversy or Burnham was a zoo on a saturday morning. Even going to the beach was not worth it. I can go to the beach on a saturday afternoon on a nice day and get a parking spot 20 yards from the sand.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:24 PM

110 posts, read 277,740 times
Quote:
If it is cold in early spring it is warmer in the fall. Its a wash. The lake keeps the temperature more steady (stabilizes). As the temperature rises in the spring it takes longer by the lake because the lake water temperature is so cold. Same in the fall, the water is warm so it takes longer to cool down. Google it.
More steady compared to what? I understand the dynamic of the lake and how it can affect temperatures. But it doesn't stabilize them. I think you're confusing stabilize with moderate.

Quote:
From NOAA.gov:
The large thermal mass of the lake tends to moderate temperatures, causing cooler summers and warmer winters.
The only reason it sounds like I'm making a big deal out of this is because you try to pass off the dreaded "cooler near the lake" that you find in the spring into early summer as an attraction. It really kind of sucks.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:22 PM

107 posts, read 247,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_H_2 View Post
More steady compared to what? I understand the dynamic of the lake and how it can affect temperatures. But it doesn't stabilize them. I think you're confusing stabilize with moderate.

More steady than if the lake wasnt there. If the lake wasnt there the temperatures would rise and fall much more quickly as they do inland.

From dictionary.com:
Stabilize
to maintain at a given or unfluctuating level or quantity:
The government will try to stabilize the cost of living.

The only reason it sounds like I'm making a big deal out of this is because you try to pass off the dreaded "cooler near the lake" that you find in the spring into early summer as an attraction. It really kind of sucks.
Not sure why cooler is dreaded. The only time I want it hot is when I go to the beach. Plus it is warmer in the fall by the lake than it is further inland.

Bottom line, is you have to live in the spot that is most convenient for you (family, work, what you like to do for recreation). If I worked in Naperville and had to be in the office every day, no way would I live by the lake. I work downtown chicago and can walk to train so for me it works.

If you dont like boating or the beach than living by the lake is not going to matter to you. Or if you like your warm springs and cooler falls.

But to say the lake is overrated is pretty surprising to hear considering how many people in chicago flock to it for various activities,

Old 06-03-2015, 08:46 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
I agree with those who say the Northwest Suburbs need their own category (while the Southwest Suburbs fit in more comfortably with the South Suburbs). I don't know if I ever saw a line of demarkation when the North and West suburbs are considered without a Northwest group.

Me? I tend to think of Schaumburg and everything east, west, and north of it as being more a part of the North Suburbs. I see everything south of Schumburg as being part of the west suburbs.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:47 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times
Elgin has northwest tendencies, but is also generally tied to the Fox Valley (which is normally considered "west burbs"). I feel like 88 corridor is where you see your traditional "west burbs." Then you have west, almost, exurban locations just west of Batavia/Geneva/STC with Campton Hills, Elburn, Sugar Grove, etc.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:33 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
I would consider Hanover Park, Bartlett, and Streamwood to be "Northwest Suburbs". So anything along Lake Street on the path to Elgin would be "Northwest" in my book...

Old 06-03-2015, 03:43 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I would consider Hanover Park, Bartlett, and Streamwood to be "Northwest Suburbs". So anything along Lake Street on the path to Elgin would be "Northwest" in my book...
I feel like the "sprawl" type suburbs are typically associated with Northwest.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:15 PM

306 posts, read 479,616 times
To me living by the lake is a wash. It is both underrated and overrated(if that is possible). Underrated for it is a thing of beauty, esp downtown. I travel quite a bit and the closeness to downtown to say Oak street is unmatched in a large city. How many places can you be in the thick of traffic, hustle and bustle of Mich ave, walk under the road and be at a beach.

I know this is the suburb forum, but the coastline up to Hollywood is just a thing a beauty.

Now overrated in the fact that it is in Chicago, which is in the upper midwest, and lets face it cold and windy for a long duration. I am not talking Dec-Feb freezing your butt off cold, but the wind and the temps in the 30s-50s does not make it attractive unless you are a runner, cycler, etc.

Been said a thousand times, if Chicago weather was different...... but it is located where it is and not moving anytime soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs