Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburban area offers the most?
Northern Suburbs 65 47.45%
Western Suburbs 61 44.53%
Southern Suburbs 11 8.03%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 01:16 PM

143 posts, read 214,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'm still wondering who voted southern suburbs and why. I put them in there just to be inclusive and fair, never thought they'd get any serious votes.
Although I didn't vote for the south burbs (even though I live in NW Indiana lol), I can see why some people would vote for them. Orland Park has lots of amenities, while still being a relatively affordable place to live. I'd say your money goes a lot farther, while still having good amenities, in the far south suburbs and NWI. I would personally want to live in Naperville for the schools and overall amenities, but I would rather stick with my house built in 2006 with pond and wood views, .4 acre lot, and finished basement, all with only $4000 taxes than buy a $350,000 house in Naperville that has a tiny yard, was built in the 90s, and backs up to my neighbor's also tiny yard and have to pay much more in taxes for that house. The south burbs wouldn't be my first choice, but the affordability of the nice south suburbs is worth the lack of certain amenities IMO. Chicago is still only a 45 min drive away, so when I want to go have some fun, there are certainly many options still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 03:52 PM

435 posts, read 426,043 times
Quote:
I'm still wondering who voted southern suburbs and why. I put them in there just to be inclusive and fair, never thought they'd get any serious votes.
I also didn't vote for the South Suburbs but I believe NWI is underrated.

Moved to Munster, IN from the northside (city) due to strong schools, great bang for your buck and IL financial situation. I almost fell off my chair yesterday when I opened my tax bill and my taxes went DOWN!!!

NWI does lack upscale retail amenities (no lululemon down the street) but it is getting better (Whole Foods just opened). Commute to the loop is OK - not super quick, not crazy bad- but should be more convenient after SS is extended to Munster. Tollway provides alternate highway if 94 is insane which helps some days.

That being said, the IL South Suburbs were not even a consideration in our selection. It was a Munster vs. Evanston vs. Wilmette vs. Park Ridge vs. Elmhurst kind of decision. Not a Munster vs Lansing, IL decision.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
I also didn't vote for the South Suburbs but I believe NWI is underrated.

Moved to Munster, IN from the northside (city) due to strong schools, great bang for your buck and IL financial situation. I almost fell off my chair yesterday when I opened my tax bill and my taxes went DOWN!!!

NWI does lack upscale retail amenities (no lululemon down the street) but it is getting better (Whole Foods just opened). Commute to the loop is OK - not super quick, not crazy bad- but should be more convenient after SS is extended to Munster. Tollway provides alternate highway if 94 is insane which helps some days.

That being said, the IL South Suburbs were not even a consideration in our selection. It was a Munster vs. Evanston vs. Wilmette vs. Park Ridge vs. Elmhurst kind of decision. Not a Munster vs Lansing, IL decision.
Lol yeah, Munster and Lansing are not even comparable cities. Lansing is more comparable to Griffith or Highland, but the south suburb most comparable to Munster would be Orland Park, although OP is a lot larger and a bit more upscale. But yes, I agree that NWI is often underrated, but more people are beginning to realize the hidden potential of the area. The past few years have seen increasing increments of Illinoisans fleeing IL for Indiana, mostly from places such as Lansing, Lynwood, etc. I do also agree with the lack of upscale amenities, although NWI is getting more upscale stores, such as Whole Foods like you mentioned, and the upcoming Nordstrom Rack. I am interested to see what will develop in Centennial Village in Munster. Hopefully we'll finally get to see some upscale stores!

Old 04-19-2016, 04:50 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,793,261 times
Best recreational opportunities, north suburbs. Best access to employment west suburbs. Cheapest housing, south suburbs. But while some south suburbs are safe, some are dangerous. Robbins and Dixmoor are about the least fashionable, and that wont change unless projectile resistant apparel comes into vogue.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:16 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,895,704 times
Perhaps I should have made a separate poll for NW Indiana suburbs? I guess they do stand apart from the southern suburbs, they have a much different identity, just as the northern and western suburbs do. NW Indiana beats all the other suburbs on affordability, I know that much.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I should have made a separate poll for NW Indiana suburbs? I guess they do stand apart from the southern suburbs, they have a much different identity, just as the northern and western suburbs do. NW Indiana beats all the other suburbs on affordability, I know that much.
Yes, NW Indiana is just too different from the South suburbs IMO to be included with them (except for Gary and Hammond of course). But much of NWI has its own identity compared to much of the south burbs, the only towns similar to towns in NWI would be the far south suburbs such as Orland+Tinley, New Lenox, and Mokena. But NWI beats them all IMO because of its location in Indiana.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:03 PM

5,528 posts, read 3,197,600 times
I grew up in the western suburbs and spent several years in the northern suburbs. To me they are a wash in terms of amenities and built environment. The big difference IMO is the people and attitudes of each.

The farther out western suburbs have more of a sunbelt culture, although this may be disappearing as open land gets filled in. The western suburbs are definitely more conservative than the northern suburbs, and there is more of a striver, nouveau riche mentality. Many of the well-to-do in the western suburbs grew up in modest circumstances, so they have first-hand experience with being working class if not poor and so are more concerned with individual discipline and small-c conservative behaviors to avoid falling back into a lower class. They also use "good behavior" to signal higher status. The western suburbs are quintessentially bourgeois. This is probably a better environment for raising a child.

The northern suburbs, on the other hand, have genuine old money and are more northeastern in attitude. They are politically about 50-50 but the culture is more liberal about personal behavior. There is a libertine strain where bad behavior is used to signal wealth - "I can get caught and bounce back because I have money." More drug use among young people in the northern suburbs. There is less a desire to prove yourself and more of a focus on self-expression, because the rich people in the north suburbs are more socially secure to start. I think there are more risks for downward mobility in the northern suburbs, because often the parents are at the pinnacle of success in the region and the kids cannot hope to compete, and also because the kids were raised in a more permissive environment and have less personal discipline.

I remember an old article in the Onion about a radical student at an out-of-state big 10 university who grew up in Deerfield protesting his father's "capitalist oppression" because he refused to give the son his old Ford Taurus to use at college. That's very northern suburban. Whereas when I think of the western suburbs I think more Wayne and Garth, slightly dumber though more down-to-earth.

These differences are becoming less as time goes by and more genuinely wealthy suburbs like Hinsdale, Oak Brook, Glen Ellyn, and parts of Naperville emerge in the western suburbs.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:04 AM

https://www.drugabuse.gov/about-nida...january-2014-2

Quote:
The increase in heroin indicators, including numbers of heroin-related deaths, in suburban counties around Chicago (DuPage, Lake, Will, McHenry, and Kane) was the most important finding for the Chicago area for this reporting period. Heroin-related deaths in DuPage County increased from 27 deaths in 2011 to 42 in 2012. They increased in Lake County from 42 deaths in 2011 to 48 in 2012.
Will County actually had the most deaths in 2012 but I left it out since it's a south/southwest suburban county.

The population of DuPage County is around 930,000 people, while the population of Lake County is around 700,000. So per 100,000 people, in 2011 DuPage County had 2.9 heroin deaths, while Lake County had 6 heroin deaths. In 2012, DuPage County had 4.5 heroin deaths per 100,000 people, and Lake County had 6.9 heroin deaths per 100,000 people.

Heroin use is exploding in the Chicago suburbs among young people and the Lake County has it worse than DuPage County.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:39 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,193,564 times
Default cherry picking

Statistics can present useful data, but only in the correct context, amigo. You can cherry pick almost anything. At least start discussing the most recent acquired data with more pertinent details? Pull up a chair.

In 2015 DuPage had 43 total heroin related deaths. Lake had 42, of which 13 were in Waukegan/North Chicago and Zion, which is a far cry from the 'rich liberal north shore kids using dope' mantra you seem to be preaching with a very broad brush stroke in your crappy post above.

See here:
https://lakecountyil.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/10226

Heroin DuPage | Education and Resources Regarding Heroin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
https://www.drugabuse.gov/about-nida...january-2014-2

Will County actually had the most deaths in 2012 but I left it out since it's a south/southwest suburban county.

The population of DuPage County is around 930,000 people, while the population of Lake County is around 700,000. So per 100,000 people, in 2011 DuPage County had 2.9 heroin deaths, while Lake County had 6 heroin deaths. In 2012, DuPage County had 4.5 heroin deaths per 100,000 people, and Lake County had 6.9 heroin deaths per 100,000 people.

Heroin use is exploding in the Chicago suburbs among young people and the Lake County has it worse than DuPage County.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:49 AM

So divided by county population, DuPage still had fewer heroin deaths than Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs