U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 08:13 AM

59 posts, read 91,664 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Lakeview and are looking at possibly buying in Evanston this summer. Can anyone recommend good areas/neighborhoods? We're looking for a 3 bedroom single family home around $350k. I know we aren't going to have too many options, since that's really low for Evanston, but wanted to hear suggestions.

I've seen some nice houses in our range but I'm not sure about the neighborhoods they're in. I know east of the tracks is the best but we aren't going to be able to afford anything there so we'll likely be looking in the west portion of Evanston. We're fine with a fixer upper, I'm just more concerned about the area.

Also, if anyone has a good suggestion on a site to use to review crime and other statistics please let me know! We're new to this whole house buying process so any tips would be great.

Here's a couple that have recently sold or are currently for sale that we liked....

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...5-06945?row=11

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2-55745?row=63

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...03-38788?row=7

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...98-32231?row=9
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 10:25 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,505,593 times
Personally, the only house I'd consider from your list is the one on Elgin, but even that is far enough west that it isn't really walkable to much. If you aren't going to have a walking lifestyle, why focus on Evanston? I'm assuming you and your husband will both be driving to work?

Old 06-05-2015, 10:32 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times
The portion of Evanston that has homes in your price range is mostly OK, but the housing styles tend more toward the "builder grade" styles that are lacking in charm, so "fixing up" is not going to change some of the unfortunate layouts and such -- same can be said for lots of homes in Skokie and Morton Grove, but generally those are bit more affordable and some might even have more tolerable taxes, though really only the 2823 Elgin is outrageous -- $10K for just a single bath regardless of updated kitchen is too high for me, but I guess in Evanston there is BIG premium for being in the area served by Haven Middle School vs Chute. The relative mix of Title 1 students definitely drives that. If you understand that sort of thing it really can shape your search parameters.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:42 AM

I think there are many reasons to consider Evanston, besides a walkable lifestyle. Evanston seems to be a great transition for us. You still have the beach nearby, great restaurants, breweries, shopping and it is very easy to get to the city. We're also hoping to start a family soon and I've heard Evanston has a lot of young families.

We do both currently work downtown, but there is a possibility that I'll be working in Northbrook in the near future. So Evanston seems like a nice middle ground.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:03 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times
Default Good points, but just factor in all the correct trade-offs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiidee53 View Post
I think there are many reasons to consider Evanston, besides a walkable lifestyle. Evanston seems to be a great transition for us. You still have the beach nearby, great restaurants, breweries, shopping and it is very easy to get to the city. We're also hoping to start a family soon and I've heard Evanston has a lot of young families.

We do both currently work downtown, but there is a possibility that I'll be working in Northbrook in the near future. So Evanston seems like a nice middle ground.
The challenging think is that the various sections of Evanston do vary rather dramatically in terms of desirability. If you do get a more affordable home in part of town served by the more highly regarded schools you also do have better access to transit and generally greater walkability. Of course if those are not a factor for your that is one thing, but over the past two decades + those factors have helped folks that do get "starter homes" in that part of town "climb the property ladder" to larger / nicer homes the same part of town. That is harder to do in the parts of town without those amenities.

I suppose there are arguments to be made for folks considering towns like Skokie, Morton Grove, or even Northfield as all have some of the same qualities of the portion of Evanston where many of these homes are located. Without really digging into the whole history of taxes and values it would hard to say that there is real financial edge to any of the areas...

Old 06-05-2015, 11:13 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,505,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiidee53 View Post

I guess I couldn't figure out a good way to commute downtown from the west side of Evanston, so it was never a consideration for us. I lived there for 3 years and my husband lived there for about 10 years and we both really like the town. I just don't see it as being an easy commute downtown; maybe now that there's the large parking garage by the Davis Street stations you can park there to take the train but I have never known anyone who did that.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I guess I couldn't figure out a good way to commute downtown from the west side of Evanston, so it was never a consideration for us. I lived there for 3 years and my husband lived there for about 10 years and we both really like the town. I just don't see it as being an easy commute downtown; maybe now that there's the large parking garage by the Davis Street stations you can park there to take the train but I have never known anyone who did that.
My husband used to work in Winnetka and would do the Ridge to Hollywood to LSD route to get back to Lakeview. Not the most fun but seemed to be ok!

We're going there tomorrow to try and drvie around the area and familiarize ourselves with the pockets we haven't been to. Just trying to see if there are areas/neighborhoods to focus on.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:00 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Evanston spot crime

http://spotcrime.com/il/evanston

Of the houses you listed, I think I would like the one on Hartrey. It's walkable to Main Street. It's enough west of Dodge Avenue that it would not get the high school kids. It's not in the best neighborhood, but I have a friend who lives not far from that area and it's not a bad area.

The one on Elgin is just too far west for my taste.

The one on Pitner is near Dempster St. We lived on Drake Ave in Skokie which is west of that and not bad at all.

The one on Fowler is directly behind ETHS. Not a safe area, imo. It would be noisy especially since the football stadium is right there. It is the closest to downtown, but...
All of these are not really close to the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs