Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 02:55 AM

49 posts, read 69,952 times

Advertisements

Currently live in Chandler Arizona, but grew up on the Southwest side and south suburbs, moved to Arizona when I was 17, 20 years ago. My husband is also from Illinois but we met in Mesa AZ (the running joke is that Phoenix is the FAR SW suburbs of Chicago...I would say about half the folks I knew down there were from IL, other half from SoCal). Moving back to be near to family. My grandparents live near 111 and Pulaski and his parents way up north near Addison and Harlem. He is self employed as a CPA, and will be moving his business wherever we move. Not into dealing with the subpar services, crime and drama that comes from living in the city of Chicago and the southern suburban areas east of 57. Also not particularly a fan of the 'tude you get in the north or west like Winnetka, Evanston, Hinsdale, Naperville et. al. Very much looking forward to not having to deal with 119 degree summers and actually having a grass lawn!

Have always been fond of the Southwest suburbs (Orland, the Palos towns, Mokena, New Lenox, Frankfort) and most everyone I grew up with in Homewood has done the flight across to Lake County in Dyer, the Tri-Towns, Crown Point and last time I came up to visit it was very nice. Here in AZ as well as in IL I have done the real estate musical chairs moving every few years away from problems and crime and really want to find a stable area that can be our long term home. We have 3 kids and we home school. Not big into homeschoolinf regulations like submitting curricula and inspections, we do our own thing and we do it well. I'm a licensed educator with a BA and MA from ASU.

Wondering two things:
Which state offers the least nanny like regulatory climate in re:homeschooling, and also which is more of a stable, family friendly, "wholesome" community that has potential to still be as nice as it is in 20, 30 years. I know there have been decline issues in both areas with problems spreading from Gary in IN, and the south side of Chicago engulfing a lot of the southern suburban areas. I thought that the issues pretty much stayed across 57 but I have heard that Tinley was starting to have similar issues to other 'burbs like Markham, Hazel Crest, Homewood/Flossmoor etc. and we are concerned about purchasing and then falling victim to expanding blight and I guess what can crudely be called as "hood creep". Don't want to spend more than $400,000 and cannot afford more than $6,000 or $6,500 in property taxes per year.

Basically which is the better bet? Also would PERHAPS consider SE WI if need be for a better homeschooling climate but I am not sure that the crime/stability situation is markedly better there either (Racine anyone?)

Would like thoughts, opinion, input etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 12:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,751,203 times
My understanding is the Illinois is one of the most homeschool friendly states

Illinois Home-Schooling Home Page

Wisconsin is fine also

https://homeschooling-wpa.org/getting-started/

Old 06-06-2015, 01:16 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,448,913 times
The towns you listed in the southwest suburbs and in NWI as being nice, yes are pretty nice (I would add Munster, Chesterton, and Valpo as other nice areas as well). However, you said it yourself...you have done the real estate "musical chairs" by moving every few years to escape crime, and all that. The reality is that the southwest suburbs and NWI populations exploded primarily due to white flight.

Personally, I would not want to live in an area where the vast majority of the population is composed of flighters because then, how do I know that they won't all pick up and run again at the slightest bit of change? In Munster, one thing you will see a lot now is residential teardowns as well as commercial redevelopment (both of which are upscale in nature) which is always a good sign in real estate. But this is a mature suburb that while yes, had a lot of fighters, it also had some of the most expensive real estate in NWI and has held up very well while some other towns further out (such as Merrillville which was established in 1971 as a white flight destination) has changed rapidly and is overwhelmed with crime, downwards mobility, and low property values). Areas that are newer are still wishy washy in my opinion. Areas with new residential developments that are not high in quality are a concern as well. Out of the newer areas, St. John has much less lower quality new development than Crown Point.

Your best bet would be looking in the north or west suburbs if you truly want that stability (and this is coming from someone in NWI). Those areas are so expensive that the idea of any hood creeping in some of those suburbs is laughable. Less expensive areas will ALWAYS have that risk (some more than others).

As far as the homeschooling, in Indiana, all that is really required as proof is having an attendance record. Regulation is not stringent.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:33 PM

6,702 posts, read 6,386,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Those areas are so expensive that the idea of any hood creeping in some of those suburbs is laughable. Less expensive areas will ALWAYS have that risk (some more than others).
I agree. Any area that borders the South suburbs that has inexpensive housing stock is ripe for decline. It only take a few dominoes to fall before the herd gets antsy. This includes the Indiana side as well.

OP, if you want stability, you may have to deal with the "tude".

Good luck, I'm in a similar situation and will be watching this thread. btw, I grew up in the Glenwood/Homewood area too. What a great place it "was"...

Old 07-08-2015, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,439 times
Very interested in this thread as well.I was raised in the city on the southwest side.I have lived in Texas for years.Hate the summers and allergies. Have a potential bus.opportunity in the SW burbs of Chicago which would have us working in either Palos or Lansing.Looked into OP and Mokena.Have friends in both.Really interested in St.John/CP if we wind working out of Lansing.We like amenities but not craziness.We are in our 50's and like the townhome concept We are raising an 11 yr old that we would like to put in a Catholic school.Would love input on NWI vs. Mokena/OP.I am aware about Il. problems and the tax difference.Lifestyle is hugely important.Like a smaller town/slower pace but not isolated from amenities.Your feedback pro and con would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:33 AM

172 posts, read 313,608 times
Orland frankfort Mokena will be stable for a long time in my opinion.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:05 PM

13 posts, read 34,574 times
Oak Forest and Tinley Park still hold up well too.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:40 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
The biggest threat to SW suburbs is the already ENORMOUS property taxes that many modest homes already are saddled with -- it is not uncommon for basic ranches / bungalows selling for just a hair over $100k to carry tax bills around $5k. That is utterly unsustainable and it is already hurting resale... It will likely only get worse and with no major shifts to attract businesses it will mean more and more folks unable to find any buyers for homes as their parents pass away.

Say what you will about the "attitude" of desirable affluent communities but anyone that overlooks the facts surrounding high quality schools, excellent access to both local employment and speedy commute to the Loop, as well as a wide range of solid housing options, all with far better value on taxes, they deserve to see their future suffer...

The OP seems to believe a self-employed CPA can just pick-up and open shop wherever they choose, this is a false and potentially ruinous misconception! There are no shortage of folks that learned the hard way that areas lacking the environment for small mid-sized businesses quickly destroy the folks that depend on providing business services.
I would strongly caution the OP that even the most affluent areas of Illinois or NWI are far from easy places for the self-employed that flourish...

Last edited by chet everett; 07-22-2015 at 11:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs