Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:22 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Even if the OP (or I guess hubby...) is some kind of ultra dedicated supporter of walking / public transit it seems kinda NUTTY to make that commute mode a condition of where they choose to live.
I agree. As much as I like mass transit as an option, there are circumstances where it makes more sense to drive, and this is one of them.

I have a feeling that the train option will be tried and abandoned, so I hope the OP picks a place that also features an easy drive to the hospital. Probably can't beat Oak Park for that, but if they want something more suburban it makes sense to look due west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 09:22 PM

40 posts, read 58,189 times
Ya, I'm thinking the walking won't last, mostly due to the "sketchy" neighborhood. Does anyone know how long a driving commute would be from GE or Wheaton to the hospital in rush hour? How about off hours (a little earlier in the morning and a little earlier at night)?

Old 06-11-2015, 09:54 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,892 times
It would be about 35-40 minutes w/o traffic from Wheaton/Glen Ellyn. In rush hour traffic, it would probably be a little under an hour. Another option you could look at is Downers Grove. It's closer to work and it's more affordable and their downtown is nice.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:32 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
It would be about 35-40 minutes w/o traffic from Wheaton/Glen Ellyn. In rush hour traffic, it would probably be a little under an hour. Another option you could look at is Downers Grove. It's closer to work and it's more affordable and their downtown is nice.
I agree with the drive times.

Downers Grove is a great alternative, but pricing will be the same (or higher) and depending where in town they look, the commute could be much longer (even from the north side of Downers).

Old 06-12-2015, 07:26 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Downers is a good option, although north Downers Grove near the downtown area is still pretty expensive. And that eliminates the train option entirely, as it is on the BNSF.

If you can look at towns on the BNSF Metra line, that opens up a lot more options.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:48 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,892 times
You could also look at the parts of Westmont with DG schools. Westmont is even more affordable and closer to work. It's also just a few minutes from downtown DG.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:01 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
If you want to use Metra you are better off on one of the Milwaukee lines, just about all trains stop at Western. By contrast, many UP-W trains skip Kedzie. Don't know about connecting transportation. Does the hospital run a shuttle? Use a folding bike? Or even the "shoe leather express."

Old 06-13-2015, 03:49 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Both Homewood and Flossmoor have that.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:55 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Most of the western suburbs are not going to be much different in price than Glen Ellyn. All of the nice ones are expensive especially if you insist on living near the walkable core. That's where the larger historic homes are.

I think the western suburbs are great and there are many to pick from. I like La Grange, its really nice and a bit closer in than some of the other ones mentioned if you have to drive to the city. You might also look at Riverside. I think I'd want to live in these areas if I was driving to the city and not in Wheaton or Glen Ellyn area where I live now.

I am not a fan of Homewood or Flossmoor. I had a friend that lived there and it seemed so very far away, I think the distance is too great to the north side of Chicago.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:59 PM

16 posts, read 31,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Both Homewood and Flossmoor have that.
Not sure those places measure up to all of the others in the western and northern suburbs, and probably not on the radar screen for the majority of professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs