Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,173 times

Advertisements

We are from France, currently staying with my brother and sister in law in Sunny Isles Beach, FL. I like it here and I like the big Jewish community but the job market is rough. I have received an offer to work for a French company in Downtown Chicago, at 209 S Lasalle Street.

My wife and I are both 30 and have 4 children ages 1, 3, 6, and 7 and are expecting a 5th in November. We are observant Jews, of Sefardi lineage with my family originating in Morocco and hers in Turkey, though we are both born and raised in Paris. We want to be in a community with other Jews, accessible to Kosher eateries and grocery stores, Jewish day schools, somewhere that has an abundance of synagogues where we can walk to them on the Sabbath, somewhere where we will have no fear of anti-Semitism.

We are open to living in an apartment, we have never lived in a single home before.

Our budget is $2500 US for 3 bedrooms.

We are open to living in town or in suburbia, whichever offers a better Jewish life.

We don't want to purchase because this is not a final destination (Israel is) but if prices are low enough (payment under $2000 on mortgage) we might purchase as an investment which we will sell or let out upon our departure in about 3 years time.

Where?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 10:21 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
I would look at Buffalo Grove. There's a pretty large Jewish population and the metra line goes near your work. The schools are excellent and you can definitely find a nice rental within your budget. Northbrook may also be another option too, but it's more expensive than Buffalo Grove, though you may be able to find a good rental within your budget. Northbrook also has a large jewish population and the schools are good too. Although the line that the metra in Northbrook runs on is different from Buffalo Grove, it also goes near your work too.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
While there are fairly sizeable populations of Jewish families in Buffalo Grove (and other suburbs like Skokie as well as parts of Chicago , like Rogers Park) that will ensure no antisemitism, the majority of younger Jewish families have Russian roots. The various older synagogues were founded by folks with roots in Poland / eastern Europe. Most are reform, not Orthodox and walking, except in a handful of areas (not Buffalo Grove...) is not gonna happen...

Old 06-15-2015, 09:31 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
There must be communities of Jewish people of the posters background here perhaps someone more familiar will know where mostly they might live. I've seen a Orthodox Jews in West Ridge, in areas around Devon, etc. Maybe even some in Albany park.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:38 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I've seen a Orthodox Jews in West Ridge, in areas around Devon, etc. Maybe even some in Albany park.
Yes, West Ridge (or West Rogers Park) is a long-established Orthodox neighborhood, though it certainly has people from many other faiths and ethnic backgrounds too. A friend of mine who lived there for several years often got requests to operate light switches from neighbors on the Sabbath. There are many schools and organizations.

I'm not sure if there is an equivalent community in the suburbs, but hopefully someone with more information chimes in. Nearly all of the suburban Jewish friends and acquaintances I have met over the years were from the reformed tradition.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:52 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While there are fairly sizeable populations of Jewish families in Buffalo Grove (and other suburbs like Skokie as well as parts of Chicago , like Rogers Park) that will ensure no antisemitism, the majority of younger Jewish families have Russian roots. The various older synagogues were founded by folks with roots in Poland / eastern Europe. Most are reform, not Orthodox and walking, except in a handful of areas (not Buffalo Grove...) is not gonna happen...
It happens in Skokie quite a lot. There is still a large orthodox population there although the suburb itself is very diverse. My neighborhood in Skokie had lots of orthodox who walked everywhere on the sabbath.

The Curious Jew: The Out-of-Towner's Guide to Jewish Chicago

Quote:
The Modern Orthodox reside in Skokie. The Modern Orthodox to Orthodox reside in West Roger's Park. The Orthodox to Ultra-Orthodox reside in Peterson Park. So it all works out nicely and everyone's happy.
Quote:
Skokie Kollel
3732 W. Dempster
Skokie, IL 60076
Rabbi Aron Rosenberg
(847) 674-7959
Quote:
Or Torah
3800 W. Dempster Skokie, IL 60076
Rabbi Harvey Well
President Dr. Joseph Gluck
Phone: (847) 679-3645
Fax847) 679-3665
We lived near Dempster a bit east of these Shuls.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:48 PM

13 posts, read 23,445 times
francaisinfl, The Religious Zionists of Chicago can give you more information.

Religious Zionists of Chicago - Home

847-674-9733 rzcoffice@gmail.com

Old 06-15-2015, 07:18 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
First, there has been a strong Jewish community in Chicago for generations. Chicago is home to the largest Jewish community in Illinois, but it is not necessarily concentrated in one area.

Skokie is one of the older Jewish communities. It offers schools and public transportation into the city. There are three Orthodox Congregations.

Oak Park is a smaller village that is very diverse, a bit quirky, and it too has an Orthodox Community/school. Oak Park is an inner ring suburb that shares a street border with Chicago (Austin). It is approximately 8 miles from Union Station downtown, which is normally a 20-30 minute trip by train. City bus, taxi, Zipcar and limo are also available. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are in, or very near Oak Park. The Oak Park Library has awesome programs for children of various ages. It has several parks including a park to walk the dog, and a small hospital.

Highland Park is another Jewish community. I had friends who lived there. I understand it is very nice, but I was not there.

There are other communities that I am not familiar. Here is a guide to Jewish Chicago that should help answer some of your questions. There is a tidbit of information in each link.

JUF : Guide to Jewish Living in Chicago
cRc Guide to Jewish Chicago
Jewish Chicago - Synagogues, Kosher, Schools, Singles, Events
JCC Chicago Locations - JCC Chicago

Old 06-15-2015, 07:50 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I have lived in Buffalo Grove for over 25 years and am not Jewish. So I am not well versed (or versed at all) on what constitutes orthodox, reform, etc. but I will say that every Saturday there are many Jewish families walking to the temple on Aptikisic Road, even in the dead of winter. Buffalo Grove also installed eruv on the utility poles. I really don't understand all of that but it was very important to the Orthodox Jewish community in BG.

I agree that many of the younger Jewish families in town have Russian or Ukrainian roots. But BG has become very Asian in the last dozen years or so, largely due to the draw of Stevenson HS. Lots of Tiger Moms in BG. But still a lot of Jewish families walking to temple on Saturdays.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:15 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Look at where the Orthodox shuls are, since you are going to be walking to shul. Here's a link to an eight year old guide to shuls in the Chicago area. It's very comprehensive, although a bit out of date.

The Curious Jew: The Out-of-Towner's Guide to Jewish Chicago

Is your plan to earn enough money in the US, to then be able to make aliyah? Hard as it may be financially, if you put down roots here, you may never make it there. And the children are young now - it will be an easier adjustment for them. And the price of apt's in Israel never seems to go down. Why put them through two immigrations, rather than just one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs