Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 02:17 PM

306 posts, read 480,041 times

Advertisements

Naperville is very unique in that it has the strongest downtown in regards to foot traffic, shopping/dinning, nightlife in the burbs, but also has a strong dining scene in the Freedom Plaza right off I-88.

So I am interested in where most suburbanites who visit Naperville go to for their dining/entertainment.

Here are my pros and cons of both

Downtown Naperville: Charm with riverwalk, pedestrian traffic, bars, restaurants, shopping, Apple Store, children's museum, ice cream shops/popcorn for kids, etc.

Cons- Getting there from highway on busy times adds to commute. Parking at busy times while free can be very difficult. Lots of congestion in traffic

Freedom Plaza

Pro's - Location, location, location. Literally right off 88, zero traffic once off. Excellent upscale and medium upscale chains - White Chocolate, Mortons, Maggianos, Cooper Hawk, Granite City, soon to be Fogo De Chao, etc. Parking no problem.

Cons- Corporate setting, no charm, no pedestrian traffic

So where do you prefer western burbanites in and around Naperville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 02:45 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
I just go to downtown Glen Ellyn for A Toda Madre or Fire & Wine, which are both among the best restaurants around. If I'm going to drive to another downtown area, it's usually nearby Wheaton... Or even Geneva if I feel like driving 25 minutes. I don't really have a good reason to go to downtown Naperville for dining, since few of the restaurants there distinguish themselves and parking can be tricky. Most of them have better or equal counterparts that are closer to me, with better parking situations. Oak Brook and Lombard have better restaurants in general near the malls.

But I will eat in that Freedom Plaza area, more often around lunch time. I can get there quickly. I really like Naf Naf for lunch. At dinner time the waits can be long at some of those chains. I'll never understand what will make someone wait over an hour for a meal at Maggiano's.

Naperville also has a Joy Yee Noodle shop on Ogden that is an offshoot of their Chinatown location, and I haven't found better Chinese food closer to me yet. The burbs have better ethnic food options than they used to, but they still can't match the offerings found in Chicago. But Joy Yee is pretty good. It ain't no Panda Express!

One true gem in Naperville that is worth driving for is the Solemn Oath Brewery. But that is tucked away in a random spot behind a car dealership, not in any established retail/entertainment district.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 07-02-2015 at 02:55 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 08:49 AM

655 posts, read 1,128,641 times
I live in Naperville and we frequent the downtown restaurants such as Hugos Frog Bar, Catch 35, Rosebuds and Francesca's. Jimmy's Grill and Wise Boxer Pour House are great for burgers and such type meals. But my new favorite place to go is Ivy in Wheaton. Fantastic food and nice setting.

Places in Naperville that I don't care for....Q barbeque, Gemato's, and Fiamme. Not really my thing and the food wasn't that great.

I rarely go to Freedom Plaza because I don't really like Cooper's Hawk or Maggiano's. We have gone to Eddie Merlots over by Winfield and Diehl and that was pretty decent.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:42 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Downtown parking is a pain, but I might stop at Chipotle or Naf Naf for lunch if I am at Penzey's or Barnes & Noble. I've been to Rosebud and Catch 35, and although the food was good, it's not THAT good to justify the expense of going. For dining "in," we like Lemongrass on Ogden (Thai food).

Old 07-08-2015, 07:09 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
I've never been to Freedom Plaza, but that's because I can go to so many other chain restaurants more easily by going to Oak Brook or Lombard since I live in Elmhurst. I've also never purposely gone to downtown Naperville. We have eaten there after visiting the Crate & Barrel Outlet or something else nearby, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

Generally, we stay in Elmhurst or go to Oak Brook or Lombard. There are enough options there to keep us happy.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:24 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I've also never purposely gone to downtown Naperville.
I think this is a problem with downtown Naperville. It just doesn't seem to have that restaurant or shopping draw that would bring people from far away. Geneva has some dining options that are good enough to draw me in from 20 minutes away, and Bien Trucha/A Toda Madre were at the top of that list... It also seems to offer more to "tourists" or people that don't live nearby. But now that A Toda Madre moved to Glen Ellyn, I have less reason to go to Geneva.

Naperville needs at least one extraordinary restaurant draw that is like top three in the Western Suburbs. I think right now it's top draw is a concentration of night life for the area (i.e. bar scene), and that doesn't interest me so much.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:41 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,530 times
I prefer downtown Naperville to Geneva, but that might be because I hate Geneva.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:58 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
I frequent downtown Naperville when we go out, but I live in Naperville. I never have parking issues because I normally go straight for the big free parking lot just north of downtown.

I guess when we go it is normally casual and family friendly, like Chipotle, Ted's, and my kids love Flat Top, so we go there for them at times.

If we are going to a Francesca's, we head to south Naperville to Passagero, we sometimes go on Sunday's when kids eat free.

I'll occasionally go up to the area around White Chocolate, but its a pain for me to get to, so infrequent.

Our new favorite place is in Downtown Aurora called U Samba. The atmosphere is just okay, but it is real, day to day Brazilian food (Not like Fogo)...not fine dining. We end up getting tons of appetizers and then a couple entrees to share across the family. They are new to the restaurant game, so they can struggle keeping up when a lot of people come in. The couple that runs it is lovely. They want to make it like a real "normal" restaurant in Brazil, but they are still working it all out. The food is authentic, though.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:30 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,530 times
I've gotta say, I think the STC Francesca's > Naperville Francesca's, and I don't really like STC either. But I will concede there.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:34 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Have any of you been to Meson Sabika? I love tapas and the venue looks very pretty, but I have yet to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs