Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:21 PM

5 posts, read 8,285 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are moving in Wilmette from Asian country and now in the middle of house hunting.
Question is, which community/elementary school we most fit in.

We are bicultural family with European and Asian blood. We don't worry about our kids settling in new school, while my wife is very concerned about being a minority in a homogeneous commuity.

I know west wilmette (Avoca, Romona) has ethnicity and diversity, which she thinks comfortable for herself and valuable for kids, however, we coudn't find houses in our taste at fair price. East wilmette has variety of properties we like at this point.

Does anyone has expericne or example of minority family in east wilmette school? Even biased opinion is appreciated. Also any difference in Mckenzie, Harper and Cenetal elementary in terms of diversity?

Last edited by chicago030914; 07-06-2015 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 09:42 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
I'm surprised you can't find any homes in west Wilmette because it's cheaper than east Wilmette. Look for homes in the parts of Glenview in the Wilmette school district too. It's more affordable and you'll have more homes to choose from.

I actually know an Asian family who lived in Glenview in the Wilmette school district. Their kids went to Romona and they were very happy with the school. Unfortunately, they had to move to another suburb and they really miss Glenview/Wilmette.

Here's a website called Illinois Report Card that will show you a lot of info about a school including the ethnicity of the students, the amount of low income students, and the test scores for all students or in subgroups: WILMETTE SD 39 | Schools In District

Romona is by far the most diverse while Central is the least diverse. However, all of the schools are pretty diverse compared to much of the North Shore which is known to be an affluent, homogeneous region. I wouldn't consider Central to be ethnically diverse, but the other schools are; especially Romona and Mckenzie.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:15 PM

Thanks, yes, west wilmette has more affordable houses, but most of them don't meet our criteria. Houses which satisfies us in west wilmette are in the same price range as central-east wilmette. That makes our desicion complicated. We prefer west wilmette, but if we purchase overpriced house there, we may end up losing money when resale. Maybe we are too picky about house. Which to comproise, property value or comfortable community.

In Illinois Report Card, Romona and Avoca looks similar but other three are almost the same. I know I am asking subjective quesiton. Let us believe Wilmette is diverse liveral overalll. How we feel about the community depends on ourselves.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:32 PM

35 posts, read 71,143 times
Central @ 89% White vs. McKenzie @ 77% is a noticeable difference. If I were you I would avoid Central, but the others are all good options.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:42 AM

36 posts, read 82,047 times
Another vote for McKenzie district

Old 07-07-2015, 03:01 PM

Thanks, how about Harper?

Old 07-07-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago030914 View Post
Thanks, how about Harper?
I would look at Harper too. It's still pretty diverse. Have you looked at Avoca? It's a good school even though it's a separate district from the Wilmette school district. It feeds into Murphy which is more diverse than Highcrest/Wilmette and it's a great school. Avoca serves part of Glenview and part of Wilmette.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:46 PM

Thanks, Avoca is definately most appealing, but property choice is limited at this point.
Also I noticed property price range is wide. Is it good thing or bad thing when resale?

Last edited by chicago030914; 07-07-2015 at 07:11 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago030914 View Post
Thanks, Avoca is definately most appealing, but property choice is limited at this point.
Also I noticed property price range is wide. Is it good thing or bad thing when resale?
Are you talking about the price range in the Avoca district or Wilmette?

Old 07-08-2015, 03:54 PM

I mean price range in west wilmette, say, 0.3-1.5mn. Over 1 mn may be hard to sell as liquidity centers on 0.5-1mn range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs