Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 AM

14 posts, read 18,264 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is moving to the Chicago area who frequents this site. Now I will be biased because I live in Glenview, but she is looking into the 4 suburbs mentioned in the title.

She is looking at homes from the price range of 850-1.4 mil. I told her for that price you can get a wonderful home in the North Shore which is for superior(IMO) to anything the near west burbs offer.
I told her Hinsdale is nice, but Clarendon Hills she should take off the list for it has little to offer and basically is the burb all view as "wanting to be upscale" with zero identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 01:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
One can get a very nice home in this price range in any of these communities.

If this were my search, I would knock out Clarendon Hills because it does not have the same town ambiance as the others.

I love both Hinsdale and Glenview because they are long established communities and homes are not cookie-cutter. Depending upon where in Hinsdale, the walk to town cannot be beat. Having said this, there is the nasty topic of property taxes and Glenview wins in this bang for the buck area. Your friend will be able to afford more house in Glenview than Hinsdale.

Just curious where your friend is moving from and if there are any potential commute issues that could influence this one way or another?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,017 times
I like Highland Park and Hinsdale's downtown areas best. Highland Park's is larger, but still quaint with a good mix of national stores (Saks 5th Ave, Williams Sonoma, Smith and Hawken, Borders, Banana Republic, etc.) but also a good number of independent merchants. I like Highland Park's proximity to the Lake. Both Hinsdale and Highland Park are not as spread out as Glenview and have fewer main arteries running through them. I like Glenview as well, and like "The Glen" area too. I don't know enough about Clarendon Hills to comment, but I know some of their elementary schools are well regarded (along with Glenview, Hinsdale and Highland Park).

I think Hinsdale and Highland Park would be my top two, but Glenview would be close behind. What other criteria are important to your friend?

I'm sure she'd probably be happy living in any of these towns, there are all nice. And as you say, she could find a nice home anywhere in the Chicago area. I would also tell her to take a look at Winnetka and Glencoe, two of my favorite suburbs.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:42 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,508 times
Without knowing anything else about your friends needs, I would stay on the Northshore with her budget. I like the amenities in those areas - Hinsdale is nice, but I prefer being closer to the Lake.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:44 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
That's true. Screw prestige or any of that nonsense, but if I had that kind of money I'd want to be near the lake for sure.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:55 PM

17 posts, read 61,030 times
You are a good friend to check this out for someone else!

We need more info--how old are your friend's kids, where are they moving from, etc.

If she moves to Hinsdale you won't see her much and if you are the only person she knows in the area that would be a pity. Old friends of ours moved to Hyde Park over a year ago and we have seen them about 3 times (we are on the North Shore).

Also tell her to look in the 1 million range (which two years ago would have been the 1.3-1.4 range) and save her money for furnishing/remodeling and/or a summer place in Michigan (also a bargain these days). She can also tap that extra cash to join a club, etc. Housing is cheap but she'll pay a lot for all the "extras" of life on the N.Shore/Hinsdale.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:51 PM

137 posts, read 202,438 times
The North Shore is still going to be considerably more expensive than the Western Suburbs. For $1.4 Million I would bump your price range up to $1.5 Million then you will have more options as most is going to be in the $1.4 to $1.5 Million. There is plenty of new construction in Glencoe and Wilmette in this range. Also there is some new construction in Evanston for $1.0 Mil to $1.579. I took a look at a place on Cowper that is very nice for $1.2 your friend should not just think about Glenview and Highland Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs