Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:42 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times

Advertisements

I feel like being on/near 355 would put both in a good spot to get to Naperville and Schaumburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 10:16 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
There are quite a few homes in Wheaton within that range. Also even less. I was surprised. There are even homes in the 300 K range....they are more modest and don't have all the bells and whistles but can be quite nice.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:01 PM

382 posts, read 824,628 times
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/18051892

Close to highways and downtown Naperville. Maybe you can get it for 450k?

Or this one, great neighborhood, too.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/18049499

Further south than the other two, but still close to downtown Naperville, with great elementary school and beautiful pond/wetland park area close by and closer to your budget.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/16895088

Last edited by divakat; 08-13-2015 at 07:14 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 08:50 PM

24 posts, read 22,380 times
Thanks holl1ngsworth the house is off the market
confused Naperville?

Hi Divakat
The house you mentioned in NAPV just got closed today )(pending signatures)

This one has no back yard
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/18051892

just have to keep looking i guess

Old 08-14-2015, 10:37 PM

Hi all any thoughts on lombard near north avenue exit.near 355.

Any concerns with crime etc? Thanks

Old 08-15-2015, 09:51 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
Lombard is relatively safe. Generally, the schools are ok, but there are also some good elementary schools. Park view elementary, which is the school the area you're looking at is assigned too, is one of the better schools in Lombard.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:50 PM

Still looking for houses near 355
Any thoughts on aurora COUNTRY CLUB VILLAGE subdivision. It is 7 mins from I88.
204 school district

not too familiar with aurora. everytime I mention aurora to few friends they say are you sure? I have spoken with work collleagues who have lived in the area for over 20 years.

also we found a place in NAPV between Modaff and 75th. Needs some work. Any idea how much will it cost to tear down the half wall (separation between family room and kitchen) It is half wall with no ceiling support.

Thank you

Old 08-20-2015, 10:01 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
There are some really bad parts of Aurora and some nice parts of Aurora. The 204 part of Aurora is nice. To tear down a wall and build a new one is about $1500-$2000.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:24 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Reaally?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
There are some really bad parts of Aurora and some nice parts of Aurora. The 204 part of Aurora is nice. To tear down a wall and build a new one is about $1500-$2000.
It is sort of silly to attempt to give estimates like that over the internet.

Does this estimate ability apply regardless of the size of the wall? What sort of span it covers? The load it supports? The material it is faced with? The ductwork, plumbing and electric it hides? The kitchen cabinets hung from it? The flooring that must be replaced?

The simple fact is that even a very experienced professional will often only find out after they begin "destructive investigation" that interior walls have LOTS of surprises. While the LOWEST COST might be pretty close what you mention for an uncomplicated removal of an interior wall, my experience suggests that "uncomplicated walls" are a rarity -- pretty much EVERY interior wall is hiding SOMETHING and if the OP wants the wall to "magically disappear" they had better be prepared for the wall to actually be a load bearing element, with all kind of hidden utilities, perhaps necessitating a major renovation of baths or kitchens. That takes the project out the price range of a nice vacation to the Wisconsin Dells and more like a trans-Pacific cruise... Worst case that "wall removal" triggers redo of a few upstairs baths, including the master, and a full on kitchen remodel... Honestly, even in a you are going by the sort of "change order" that TV crew flippers encounter in a total gut overhaul of some trashed foreclosure the cost of JUST a laminated veneer lumber structural beam of a typical 12ft span could exceed $1000. If local code requires sign off from an engineer, and permits for electric the bill is going to come way above your estimate...

{BTW I agree that most of the D204 portion of Aurora is worth considering. There are many nicer homes in the subdivisions along Eola and being close to Metea High tends to be a plus for home buyers, that said if the home is dated / overly closed off the OP will have to consider if the cost of the renovations is going to end up "over improving" the property compared to shopping in a higher priced area...}

Old 08-20-2015, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 854 times
I have to put in a plug for my neighborhood. I live in Heritage Creek in Bolingbrook. (Paxson and 87th) We have Naperville 203 schools, but the houses around here are about 100,000 cheaper than similar homes a half mile away in Naperville. The park district is great, and the schools are wonderful! It's the kind of neighborhood with friendly neighbors, dog walkers, kids outside playing basketball - there's even a park in the neighborhood. Very quick access to 355. Homes are about 28 - 30 years old. Lots of people got new siding and roofs last year with the hailstorm. Crestview next door is also a lovely neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs