Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 11:34 AM

65 posts, read 103,597 times

Advertisements

Hello! This page is for anyone who is relocating to the following areas: Antioch, Lake Villa, Gurnee, Wadsworth and around here.

Antioch IL
Nice lakeside town(with around 4 or 5 major lakes, not counting smaller lakes), located around 10 minutes from Gurnee(shopping, unless you're going to Walmart or Menards or Aldi, and maybe visiting a bar or two), and 10 minutes from Pleasant Prairie, WI outlets, which include many cool shops, North face, Nike, Gap, lots of stores.

The average home here costs around $210,000, however, it depends on the different areas of town you move to, like in most cities.

Many new homes for a ok price, check out the Hickory Corners subdivisions! You could get a new house over there, with a backyard starting at around 220k(depends on build quality too, NeuHaven has worse build quality then Clublands or Red Wing or Eagle Ridge)!

Next to the lake though, a new house is probably around 400 - 500k at least. That's why the majority of the lakes are filled with old houses in most towns.

Gurnee, IL
This town has more stores and is filled with subdivisions, and other big stores. The east side is more older, and the neighborhoods look similar to nearby towns.

Average house here is around $220k or $230k, again, the west side will be pricier then the east side next to Six Flags.

Stuff here: Six Flags, Gurnee Mall, PP Outlets around 15 minutes away.

New homes are a bit pricier then in Antioch, but similar. Older homes are available for sale at a normal price.

Lake Villa, IL
A couple of lakes here, neighborhoods seem similar to Antioch's. Couple of subdivisions by 45 which count as Lake Villa.

Average home is $215 - $220k here. There's not really a good and worse side here, so look just about anywhere.

Mostly old houses here.

Not much to do, maybe visit a friend and go on a boat, but if you want to shop or do something, either Gurnee or Kenosha or Vernon Hills(30 minutes away). This is more of a suburban area then a center of shopping and attractions.

Wadsworth, IL
Wadsworth is not the town for everyone. The design of Wadsworth is a bit weird. You drive by, houses, houses, farms, houses, then all of a sudden, a little shack which says "MG WINDOWS", then more farms, houses, then an RV center, then more farms and houses until you get to Zion. Not everyone likes this kind of town.

The location is also.... strange, as Wadsworth, the most expensive town in the area($327 k house avg) , is surrounded by the high crime areas and a bit less fortunate, such as Waukegan, Zion, Park City.

There's also a part where you drive on Wadsworth, or Stearns School Road, which is suburban. It's the generally, in my opinion, a bit better part of the village.

Channel Lake, IL
I would not especially recommend this area to anyone, but here we go. Trailer parks, old run down houses in disrepair, and a little marina space. Not much. The schools are not very good either, most houses belong to the district in the west side of Antioch. And no, don't be excited, none of the houses belong to Emmons, the best school in Antioch, and possibly Gurnee area(might even be on the level of VH schools!).

Lots of fools moving in too unfortunately.

Average house is around $165,000 here.

Well that's all. I hope this helped you decide where to move! Comment for questions, and yes, I do live in the north burbs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 03:34 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,098 times
Nice descriptions... But I don't think Wadsworth is technically "surrounded by high crime areas." Aren't the crime areas you mentioned just to the east of Wadsworth? Wadsworth is a good area if you want a lot of land and horses IMO.

Of the towns you mentioned, I prefer the layout, amenities, schools of Antioch. Plus, I believe it is the only one of the towns that has a Metra station (does Gurnee have one?) and pretty walkable downtown with small, unique shops, restaurants, live theater...

Old 08-26-2015, 04:27 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,003 times
Wadsworth isn't completley surrounded by bad areas. It's also next Gurnee, Old Mill Creek and unincorporated Antioch. There is not any spillover crime from Waukegan, Zion, or Park City at all and it's a very safe area. Also, it's in the Warren Township school district, which is better than the other towns' schools. One of my friends lives in Wadsworth and loves it, but most of it is in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Wadsworth isn't completley surrounded by bad areas. It's also next Gurnee, Old Mill Creek and unincorporated Antioch. There is not any spillover crime from Waukegan, Zion, or Park City at all and it's a very safe area. Also, it's in the Warren Township school district, which is better than the other towns' schools. One of my friends lives in Wadsworth and loves it, but most of it is in the middle of nowhere.
Sure... it's just a bit of a weird location in my and many's opinion that I know.
Everybody is different...
Sure there's no spillover, but still it's a bit weird.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:37 AM

694 posts, read 2,015,467 times
The East side of Gurnee is not near Six Flags. No part of Wadsworth is on Stearns School Rd, which is entirely in Gurnee, Grandwood Park or Old Mill Creek. I don't know why this thread bothers me...Maybe it's just because it's like 40% accurate.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:38 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
The East side of Gurnee is not near Six Flags. No part of Wadsworth is on Stearns School Rd, which is entirely in Gurnee, Grandwood Park or Old Mill Creek. I don't know why this thread bothers me...Maybe it's just because it's like 40% accurate.
When folks attempt to make a "comprehensive entry" and then mess up about 60% of what is in the post...

Old 09-27-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
When folks attempt to make a "comprehensive entry" and then mess up about 60% of what is in the post...
Oh I see, I am mistaken about the part next to Six Flags along Stearns School Rd, but I was also talking about Hunt Club Farms, which has Wadsworth addresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs