Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 07:28 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,453,606 times

Advertisements

I just came across this article...

Frankfort faces teardown issue in historic downtown

Back in June, I was in Frankfort around the downtown area (which I hadn't been in in a while) and I noticed that there appeared to have been some teardown activity...not even close to the scale that suburbs like Hinsdale have seen but enough to where I was definitely intrigued. The homes were also very upscale in nature and appeared to try to respect the scale/design of housing in that area (although the older housing seemed pretty diverse already).

Then I came across this article yesterday and as I was reading it, I thought to myself "this is a great thing to see in a suburban area that is still growing outward". On the other hand, I wondered if the teardowns would get out of control at some point? That seems to be what residents in this area are concerned about.

In my opinion, the homes proposed in the downtown area by Gander Builders and Alexi Development are VERY different. I prefer the ones by Gander they feel less like McMansions and could fit in many historic districts. The ones by Alexi Development proposed for Frankfort are basically "Craftsman-inspired McMansions. If you click on the links, you will see what I mean.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 09:33 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,875,952 times
I would not worry about it. Likely there is nothing you can do about it anyway. We have some teardowns where I live and some are nice, some do not fit in. It runs the gamut. I would only get involved if a historical structure was torn down. Mostly what is happening is older smaller homes are being torn down for bigger ones being built. Many of the homes have no historical value and would cost an arm and a leg to update.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:32 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,453,606 times
I agree that many of the homes do not have any historical value and not every old thing needs to be saved. I do not live in Frankfort so this is not something that personally affects me but I just thought it was an interesting topic.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:40 PM

62 posts, read 90,720 times
The people who live in Frankfort are flattering themselves when they say it has history. It was cornfield country until the white flighters started moving there a few decades ago. The houses might be changing, but the driving force behind the town's growth is exactly the same.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:38 PM

172 posts, read 313,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccidentExpress View Post
The people who live in Frankfort are flattering themselves when they say it has history. It was cornfield country until the white flighters started moving there a few decades ago. The houses might be changing, but the driving force behind the town's growth is exactly the same.
Lol no history huh? Go visit the Frankfort history museum downtown. Ridiculous.
Take a seat at old plank trail taverns bar in downtown and lean on the actual preserved WW2 era bar from the 40's. Have a meal at the bier stube and have some sauerkraut by the famous chef klaus and revel in all the German dioramas. Take a stroll through the general stores downtown, have a seat at briedert green located at the old Frankfort train station downtown. You have no clue to
What ur saying. Downtown Frankfort specifically has A lot of
History.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I just came across this article...

Frankfort faces teardown issue in historic downtown

Back in June, I was in Frankfort around the downtown area (which I hadn't been in in a while) and I noticed that there appeared to have been some teardown activity...not even close to the scale that suburbs like Hinsdale have seen but enough to where I was definitely intrigued. The homes were also very upscale in nature and appeared to try to respect the scale/design of housing in that area (although the older housing seemed pretty diverse already).

Then I came across this article yesterday and as I was reading it, I thought to myself "this is a great thing to see in a suburban area that is still growing outward". On the other hand, I wondered if the teardowns would get out of control at some point? That seems to be what residents in this area are concerned about.

In my opinion, the homes proposed in the downtown area by Gander Builders and Alexi Development are VERY different. I prefer the ones by Gander they feel less like McMansions and could fit in many historic districts. The ones by Alexi Development proposed for Frankfort are basically "Craftsman-inspired McMansions. If you click on the links, you will see what I mean.

What do you all think?
Gander (Steve) is a close personal friend
Of mine. Yes there is a lot of tear down activity in downtown Frankfort, however guys like Steve as u alluded are building larger nicer home
But not cookie cutter McMansions , they are quite unique.

It's
Good, as a side note they fall fests are getting huge, and from May to sept every Thursday we have cruising Frankfort car show which is getting rlly popular I meet ppl from all suburbs west/north brining there rides. I'm quite involved w that and usually have a crew of 10-17 exotics I have come
To the Frankfort show, usually 3-4 million worth of rare exotic hardware. Great eclectic
Mix w American muscle , old jags/fiats/mg's/hot rods/rat rods, up to lambos, ferraris, Porsches. Last couple of weeks we've had 918 spyder (1.3 million) 458 speciale aperta (1 of 499 made) GT3RS all kinds of crazy rides.

The village is trying to buy up land as well as there are plans to
Expand downtown .

Old 09-04-2015, 11:04 AM

62 posts, read 90,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drss01 View Post
Lol no history huh? Go visit the Frankfort history museum downtown. Ridiculous.
Take a seat at old plank trail taverns bar in downtown and lean on the actual preserved WW2 era bar from the 40's. Have a meal at the bier stube and have some sauerkraut by the famous chef klaus and revel in all the German dioramas. Take a stroll through the general stores downtown, have a seat at briedert green located at the old Frankfort train station downtown. You have no clue to
What ur saying. Downtown Frankfort specifically has A lot of
History.
It has history in that it was a one-horse farm town (my grandfather was born there and that's what he affectionately called it) before white flight from Joliet and Chicago rapidly transformed it into the upscale suburb that it currently is. I call that whole region the 'white-flight belt' since it practically sprang up overnight to feed the growing demand for safe all-white Chicagoland suburbs in the '70s and '80s.

Last edited by OccidentExpress; 09-04-2015 at 12:06 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccidentExpress View Post
It has history in that it was a one-horse farm town (my grandfather was born there and that's what he affectionately called it) before white flight from Joliet and Chicago rapidly transformed it into the upscale suburb that it currently is. I call that whole region the 'white-flight belt' since it practically sprang up overnight to feed the growing demand for safe all-white Chicagoland suburbs in the '70s and '80s.
Again, ur blanket statements that it has "no history" are false and misleading. Oh, and in not "flattering myself" by saying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs