Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 12:24 PM

914 posts, read 1,137,131 times

Advertisements

My friend's husband was a principal in a great school district, which was surrounded by lousy ones. Everyone tried to get into his school by doing this, and a lot of people were busted. The place has to be your primary residence.

I am moving to a school district which is highly desirable next to Wheeling (wink wink). I asked if I could start sending my kids there before we moved, as there will be some lag time before we move, and after we close. I was told they wanted a $10K check if we didn't move in there 60 days from the time the kids would start the schools. They would give me back the check if they could prove primary residency, and what I mean is that I would get a surprise visit.

The school districts take primary residency very seriously. I loved my house too, and our mortgage was almost paid off, but our school system was terrible. I was right next to a highly desirable school district, but I did the ethical thing and sold my house and decided to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 02:20 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,017 times
My district also does (or has in the past) random in person location verification in addition to the requirement of providing documentation.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:49 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,531 times
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I was technically already in the district, since I live in an option area for for schools. I was going to buy a condo or a townhouse and rent it out outside of the option area and in the school I wanted my daughter to end. I tried transferring her to the other school, but the district was making it very difficult.

However, since you probably don't live in your desired district at all, renting a condo out while your children are attending the schools assigned to their apartment is illegal and I would not advise doing so. However, if you rent out during the summer or just don't rent it out and sell it later, then it would not be illegal because the condo will be owned under your name.

If the school you want to send your children to is nearby, you can send your kids there as long as you pay a fee, but you would have to talk to the district about this. Also, if one school didn't make the AYP, which I'm assuming your home district didn't of it's a bad district, you can send your children to a school that did make the AYP.

I remember you were talking about moving to Park Ridge in a another thread. Are you deciding against moving there or is that where you want to buy a condo?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I was technically already in the district, since I live in an option area for for schools. I was going to buy a condo or a townhouse and rent it out outside of the option area and in the school I wanted my daughter to end. I tried transferring her to the other school, but the district was making it very difficult.

However, since you probably don't live in your desired district at all, renting a condo out while your children are attending the schools assigned to their apartment is illegal and I would not advise doing so. However, if you rent out during the summer or just don't rent it out and sell it later, then it would not be illegal because the condo will be owned under your name.

If the school you want to send your children to is nearby, you can send your kids there as long as you pay a fee, but you would have to talk to the district about this. Also, if one school didn't make the AYP, which I'm assuming your home district didn't of it's a bad district, you can send your children to a school that did make the AYP.

I remember you were talking about moving to Park Ridge in a another thread. Are you deciding against moving there or is that where you want to buy a condo?
It is illegal to attend a school district even if you own and do not rent it the home unless it is your primary residence. I know because I checked with various districts and this is Illinois law.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:10 AM

I just also wanted to mention that if you rent out a studio apartment, it's extremely easy for the district to figure out it's not your primary residence. It doesn't make sense for a whole family to use a studio apartment for a primary residence. I'm speaking from the experience of the people I spoke to within the school districts. They pretty much know all the tricks. Your children will also never be able to have play dates at "your house" and they'll be told it's okay to lie to the administration and their friends. If they do end up spilling the beans to someone, you'll have to be worried that the district will find out and even fine you for tuition.

Besides, the Wheeling schools aren't that bad. I was coming from a much worse school system when I decided to move. I have friends that sent their kids to Wheeling schools, and they were very happy with them, especially Wheeling High. There are a lot of low income families that attend these schools, which probably accounts for the lower test scores than other neighboring communities. I would go to the schools, interview the staff, and find more about the school system before you move. I had to move because not only was our school system (in particular the junior high and high school) horrible, but I have an autistic son that needs a lot of support with his IEP, and some school districts are just better equipped for that. The school district we were coming from included some of the worst schools in the state, so regardless, I had to get out of there. If your kids have great support at home, I'm sure they'll do fine at the Wheeling schools.

Last edited by twodoor2; 10-07-2015 at 05:24 AM..

Old 10-07-2015, 05:55 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
You will probably get caught esp. if you live in a school district where people try to do this all the time. I am sure the schools have seen all the tricks.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
I think I am more than willing to set up a cool man-cave Bachelor pad apartment in a better school district and live there Monday night through Thursday night away from Wife and kids if it means a brighter future for kids.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:07 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I think I am more than willing to set up a cool man-cave Bachelor pad apartment in a better school district and live there Monday night through Thursday night away from Wife and kids if it means a brighter future for kids.
The whole point is that the kids have to live there.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:25 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
I just also wanted to mention that if you rent out a studio apartment, it's extremely easy for the district to figure out it's not your primary residence. It doesn't make sense for a whole family to use a studio apartment for a primary residence. I'm speaking from the experience of the people I spoke to within the school districts. They pretty much know all the tricks. Your children will also never be able to have play dates at "your house" and they'll be told it's okay to lie to the administration and their friends. If they do end up spilling the beans to someone, you'll have to be worried that the district will find out and even fine you for tuition.

Besides, the Wheeling schools aren't that bad. I was coming from a much worse school system when I decided to move. I have friends that sent their kids to Wheeling schools, and they were very happy with them, especially Wheeling High. There are a lot of low income families that attend these schools, which probably accounts for the lower test scores than other neighboring communities. I would go to the schools, interview the staff, and find more about the school system before you move. I had to move because not only was our school system (in particular the junior high and high school) horrible, but I have an autistic son that needs a lot of support with his IEP, and some school districts are just better equipped for that. The school district we were coming from included some of the worst schools in the state, so regardless, I had to get out of there. If your kids have great support at home, I'm sure they'll do fine at the Wheeling schools.
Wheeling schools are not bad, I just thought that they were referencing living Wheeling and sending their kids to Arlington Heights schools to see if they could rent out a condo in a neighboring district.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Wheeling schools are not bad, I just thought that they were referencing living Wheeling and sending their kids to Arlington Heights schools to see if they could rent out a condo in a neighboring district.
You really cannot do that. Now some districts will allow transfer to one school vs. another, but it's rare, and sometimes you have to pay additional tuition to do so. For example, I believe Palatine has this option for those wishing to attend the highly rated Fremd HS. vs others in the district. If it is okay with the district, and they approve the transfer, then there is nothing illegal about it. However, to do something like this behind the district's back, and "sneak in" is unethical and illegal, as well as unfair to the people that have children attend the school legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs