Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 02:24 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
LK brings up a point that I hadn't thought about, which is green space at schools. That is food for thought!!
We were sensitive to it, moving out here from the City. It's the one thing I didn't like about Cosley in La Grange, which was the school assigned to most of the houses we were looking at. However, I think we could have lived with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 02:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Completely understand, and it is not "stupid" not to want to move twice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
The smart move would be for us to rent and then give us time to look around. Stupidly, we simply don't want to have to move twice. Moving is exhausting and I think we have it in us to make one last move and settle down until the kids are on to college.

You all bring up good points. The walkability is important but more to a downtown retail core than to schools. I think we all glamorize the kids being able to walk but more often then not, parents end up driving. And, given their rapid transition from elementary to middle school, and HS, it's short lived and not a smart way to base housing decisions.

LK brings up a point that I hadn't thought about, which is green space at schools. That is food for thought!!
If I had a put a percentage on folks that did rent as part of a relocation to the desirable suburbs I doubt it would be over 10%. The majority of folks figure out where they want to live and decide from amongst the available inventory over the course of a few months.

Even among the 10% or so that do rent I would say greater than 75% end up staying in the same school attendance area as they rented. It is tough to switch schools once kids start to form friendships after a move and parents wisely try very hard to avoid moves that break those bonds.
That slice of folks that do move after renting mostly are intimidated by the portion of there assets they'll be committing to a home that matches their wants / needs OR fit into the "very hard to satisfy" category that probably overlaps with the group of people giving out bad Yelp reviews to places that have earned Three Stars from Michelin and have Zagat ratings just a point or two from perfect 30 in food/decor/service...

Old 11-04-2015, 02:37 PM

768 posts, read 1,104,365 times
GE/wheaton hands down win in the green department - the closer you get to city the more urban/dense it gets... LG does have salt creek trail... Again 2 really great choices, Please share your thoughts after visiting and feeling out the areas. We are all curious now what you will think post visits... ��

Old 11-04-2015, 02:38 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Perception is all in the eyes of the viewer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
We were sensitive to it, moving out here from the City. It's the one thing I didn't like about Cosley in La Grange, which was the school assigned to most of the houses we were looking at. However, I think we could have lived with it.
I drive past Cossitt at least weekly when I take a lunch break and the kids use the paved play ground for traditional school yard activities. It is not like they are learning how to roll dice or something, this is still suburbia, not the Blackboard Jungle or West Side Story with Jets vs Sharks

COSSITT AVE ELEM SCHOOL: School Profile

Honestly LG is kind of anomaly with Cossitt Ave's lack of greenspace, as all the other towns, and even the other school in the district have rather park like settings. It is just one of those almost odd things that I suspect goes back to the school having been built in an era when paved school yards were standard.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:44 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I drive past Cossitt at least weekly ...
Yes, I meant Cossitt.

JETS! SHARKS!

Old 11-04-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Honestly LG is kind of anomaly with Cossitt Ave's lack of greenspace, as all the other towns, and even the other school in the district have rather park like settings. It is just one of those almost odd things that I suspect goes back to the school having been built in an era when paved school yards were standard.
I bet really soon that gets converted back to green space - it screams green me and sticks out like a sore thumb...

Old 11-04-2015, 03:07 PM

418 posts, read 906,639 times
I will definitely post my perspective after next week's visit. Found this excellent article today. Where and how people choose housing choices defines friendships.

How our housing choices make adult friendships more difficult - Vox

Old 11-04-2015, 04:21 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Yes, I meant Cossitt.

JETS! SHARKS!
Cosley is the zoo in Wheaton. Plenty of grass, no sharks.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 11-04-2015 at 04:52 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 05:02 PM

Great article - when we moved to LG 3 years ago - our neighbors greeted us with bottles of wine... We are all friends now (had no issurs here) and even have a fb group for instant communication... The wives do girls nite out in chicago via trains/uber...

The homes here are not sprawled out so your kinda forced to know your neighbor... LG is also the king of summer porch parties IMO - i now understand the logic of the late 1800s early 1900s wrap around masssive porch, associated to older design...

Old 11-04-2015, 07:59 PM

418 posts, read 906,639 times
La Grange seems like it would provide what we've like about our time spent in Atlanta in the Virginia Highlands neighborhood. Walkable, small lots, historic homes that range anywhere from $500k for a teardown to a rebuilt in the $1.5M range. Even though we live in a big city, we run into the same group of neighbors and people around town so that's why the article resonates with me. It's so true about the spontaneity and gathering place. Our neighborhood parks does summer movies, Friday night picnics and it's a great outlet for building communities. Despite the other "issues" about living in the south, I would say the southern hospitality is one we've grown accustomed to and would miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs