Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 08:38 AM

11 posts, read 19,568 times

Advertisements

Thanks Everyone for this helpful thread - I just got back from a 2 week house hunting trip! We are in contract for a Townhouse in Glen Ellyn (Near Roosevelt) and will be closing the end of January. We are about 2 miles to the train and near plenty of shopping, but the road noise is not much of an issue by the house. We really wanted to downsize (and spend a bit less) as the kids are in college and at 8 years old, the place does not need much work.
Our second choice was going to be a tear down - the downsides were that we would be in temporary housing for 7 - 12 months and we knew we would upgrade ourselves right out of our budget

I'm looking forward to getting to know the area.

thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 03:23 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoodle View Post
Thanks Everyone for this helpful thread - I just got back from a 2 week house hunting trip! We are in contract for a Townhouse in Glen Ellyn (Near Roosevelt) and will be closing the end of January. We are about 2 miles to the train and near plenty of shopping, but the road noise is not much of an issue by the house. We really wanted to downsize (and spend a bit less) as the kids are in college and at 8 years old, the place does not need much work.
Our second choice was going to be a tear down - the downsides were that we would be in temporary housing for 7 - 12 months and we knew we would upgrade ourselves right out of our budget

I'm looking forward to getting to know the area.

thanks again!
Baker Hill by chance?

Good luck to you! I'm sure we'll cross paths without knowing it.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:45 PM

173 posts, read 267,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
We're going to wait a bit and not rush to see what else may come on the market. Ideally a May/June move-in is best but willing to buy in advance so as to have a place to move to when the kids are done with the school year. Would love to have them have the summer in the area, perhaps meet some kids in the hood before starting at a new school.

The Northshore is out of the question. My office, when I'm in town, is in Naperville. The wife's office, when not traveling and working from home, is in the Loop.
It's located on a fairly busy residential street but this lovely new home is reasonably close to downtown Hinsdale and within your budget:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/5.../home/18033042

Old 01-05-2016, 01:29 PM

418 posts, read 906,554 times
Thanks. That is a lovely home and looks to be in a great location between the train and core downtown?

Old 01-05-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
Thanks. That is a lovely home and looks to be in a great location between the train and core downtown?
Busy street. Thus the price.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Busy street. Thus the price.
Traffic along this part of York Road is slightly less than what you'd find along Main Street or Pennsylvania Avenue near downtown Glen Ellyn. Certainly busier than a typical residential street but not overwhelming and speeds are actually quite low at this point due to the bend in York where it turns into Garfield. Many expensive homes along this stretch of York as well as Garfield. Nice sized lot alleviates some of the potential concerns regarding the busier than normal street.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destination-unknown View Post
Traffic along this part of York Road is slightly less than what you'd find along Main Street or Pennsylvania Avenue near downtown Glen Ellyn.
I wouldn't want to live there either. Houses on busy streets are discounted with good reason
If you are considering one, make sure to visit at various times of day, including both rush periods.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I wouldn't want to live there either. Houses on busy streets are discounted with good reason
If you are considering one, make sure to visit at various times of day, including both rush periods.
I agree with you, which is why I acknowledged that it is a fairly busy street in the initial post. There is no doubt it is discounted because of this but for the < $1M market represents good value IMO considering the quality, size, and location otherwise. Certainly not for everyone but plenty of affluent buyers have been attracted to homes located along York, Garfield, and County Line Road in Hinsdale as well as busier parts of York in Oak Brook (of course most of the Oak Brook homes are set back on ridiculously massive lots).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs