Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:31 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillax714 View Post
By the time I get to Chicago I will be nationally registered, so I know my cert will be in order. The thing I am wondering is in the state of Illinois, do they have EMT-I? I know in Cali they don't. They just have EMT-B and Paramedic. Hopefully all this schooling wasn't for nothing, (well I guess it is helpful to have the extra knowledge, just a bummer if I have to practice as an EMT-B). So, thats what I was wondering. Oh and hey Steve-O, nice pictures! You fuel my motivation everytime I look at those pictures. Keep up the good work. If you see an ambulance, snap a photo, but what I really love is all those gorgeoud shots of the snow and all the beautiful homes.
Well, best of luck! And thanks for the comments. Ill do my best to keep the pictures coming. I really only have time to snap shots on the weekends, if and only if my wife is busy doing something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,917 times
Are here in Chicago now? Or are you still getting ready to move here? here's my e-mail if you want questions answered I'll do my best. I have been in the private ambulances, contract 9-1-1 service, Chicago Fire. started working in late 80's

Old 06-14-2009, 09:56 PM

211 posts, read 529,992 times
Howdy, I was a paramedic in the Chicago area a number of years ago, working on a private ambulance(s), so may be able to help a bit.

No, no EMT-I...it's either EMT-B or EMT-P around here. Unless things changed over the years, even with a national registry, you're still going to have to get state certified to work here, and then test into whatever ems system or systems your employer is in.

Chicago and most surrounding suburbs run their city ambulances through their respective fire departments. More often than not, you're hired on as a fireman and cross-trained as a medic (Chicago being the exception that hires separately for the ems side of CFD). If you're already a medic, and especially if you've already taken fire science, and especially specially if you've got 2 yrs of college, and double dog years specially if you've got you some military service, you're bumped up on the list. But, be forewarned, there is indeed a list...them jobs usually pay more and are prestigious, hence, every tom/dick/harry and his/her mother who's running on a private ambulance wants and competes for them jobs.

So, what's left is the private ambulance sector. There are something like a dozen of them companies working at any one time (they come and go) in and around Chicago and vicinity, and they're always hiring coz their existing workforce is contastly moves onto greener pastures. Normally, you're running nursing home patients to dialysis, the clinic for bedsore debridement, psychs for their evals, that sorta thing. But, you know, occasionally you do get to start a line and push some drugs, even drop in a tube and use your paddles once in a while (ahhh, shop talk...it's like old times again!)

I dunno what they pay nowadays. 8 years ago, I was pulling a crappy $12/hr two years after getting that P after the EMT, realized that I didn't want to get on a fire department, which made it fairly obvious that I was wasting my time with that gig. The pay may be a bit more today, but I doubt if by much.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,188 times
Default EMT`s & Medics of Private Ambulance Services in Chicago are zombies.

Just about every one who works for a private ambulance service in Chicago, are self consumed. Most just work in the private sector, because it`s a job. The job is not challenging. Private ambulance companies in Chicago serve Nursing Homes, dialysis centers, physician`s offices, and some have contracts with hospitals. The private ambulance side in Chicago is dreadful. And what`s worse, is most of the employees at these companies have no courage, or morals.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,116 times
Default dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrolla View Post
Howdy, I was a paramedic in the Chicago area a number of years ago, working on a private ambulance(s), so may be able to help a bit.

No, no EMT-I...it's either EMT-B or EMT-P around here. Unless things changed over the years, even with a national registry, you're still going to have to get state certified to work here, and then test into whatever ems system or systems your employer is in.

Chicago and most surrounding suburbs run their city ambulances through their respective fire departments. More often than not, you're hired on as a fireman and cross-trained as a medic (Chicago being the exception that hires separately for the ems side of CFD). If you're already a medic, and especially if you've already taken fire science, and especially specially if you've got 2 yrs of college, and double dog years specially if you've got you some military service, you're bumped up on the list. But, be forewarned, there is indeed a list...them jobs usually pay more and are prestigious, hence, every tom/dick/harry and his/her mother who's running on a private ambulance wants and competes for them jobs.

So, what's left is the private ambulance sector. There are something like a dozen of them companies working at any one time (they come and go) in and around Chicago and vicinity, and they're always hiring coz their existing workforce is contastly moves onto greener pastures. Normally, you're running nursing home patients to dialysis, the clinic for bedsore debridement, psychs for their evals, that sorta thing. But, you know, occasionally you do get to start a line and push some drugs, even drop in a tube and use your paddles once in a while (ahhh, shop talk...it's like old times again!)

I dunno what they pay nowadays. 8 years ago, I was pulling a crappy $12/hr two years after getting that P after the EMT, realized that I didn't want to get on a fire department, which made it fairly obvious that I was wasting my time with that gig. The pay may be a bit more today, but I doubt if by much.

Im an intermediate in texas and want to move up to chicago in the near future after I get done with paramedic school. How hard would it be to get a 911 job? Do you have to be fire certified? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs