Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:44 PM

49 posts, read 213,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
So scary. I used to live 5 minutes from there and used to go to that shopping center all the time. I really hope they catch the guy.
You must have lived there just recently because that Shopping center is brand new, It just opened up a year or so ago, way out on 191st and Harlem Ave. The Target out there is brand new and so are all the other stores. In fact the Lane Bryant store was in a very isolated spot of the strip mall as it was so new there were hardly any other stores open yet.

Last edited by freshmtt; 02-03-2008 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 06:52 PM

128 posts, read 170,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Pray for their families.
Agreed. What a horrible, self-centered, thoughtless act. Tinley Park is one the last places I would think of something like that happening.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:14 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,529,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmtt View Post
You must have lived there just recently because that Shopping center is brand new, It just opened up a year or so ago, way out on 191st and Harlem Ave. The Target out there is brand new and so are all the other stores. In fact the Lane Bryant store was in a very isolted spot of the strip mall as it was so new there were hardly any other stores open yet.
Yes, I just moved from there about 6 months ago. We lived in those townhomes off 191st and LaGrange. I used to go to that SuperTarget all the time. Very, very sad.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:13 AM

863 posts, read 2,774,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmtt View Post
You must have lived there just recently because that Shopping center is brand new, It just opened up a year or so ago, way out on 191st and Harlem Ave. The Target out there is brand new and so are all the other stores. In fact the Lane Bryant store was in a very isolated spot of the strip mall as it was so new there were hardly any other stores open yet.
The entire shopping center been open for about three years actually. Target opened in 2005 (I used to work there). The Lane Bryant has been open for about a year and a half and it is in an isolated spot.

This isn't the first incident in that shopping center. There have been a few carjackings, attempted robberies, and car thefts. Even though it's in Tinley Park, it's a scary place to be.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:00 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,487,608 times
The problem with that mall is that it is right off 80 so low lifes can come in, rob the places, car jack people, whatever, then hop on the freeway and as the say in the Sox games... "HE GONE!" And thats it, thats the last we will see of the person. Very bad place to be is correct. I wouldn't go there alone if I were a woman. Not that a man is going to stop a bullet, but I'm sure if there were some big dudes in that store at the time of the shootings, the gunman would have thought twice about doing this horrible act.

For women out there going out to do their shopping alone in the immediate area, do yourselves a favor and do you shopping in Orland Park for now. Not that Tinley is bad, but it is rather deselet at that mall. Orland is absolutely packed to the brim with people. (not that that is neccessarily a good thing), but I can't see something like this happening at the Lane Bryant in Orland Park. There would be 50 sets of eyes on this dude as he came out of the store vs. having NOBODY see him!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
The problem with that mall is that it is right off 80 so low lifes can come in, rob the places, car jack people, whatever, then hop on the freeway and as the say in the Sox games... "HE GONE!" And thats it, thats the last we will see of the person. Very bad place to be is correct. I wouldn't go there alone if I were a woman. Not that a man is going to stop a bullet, but I'm sure if there were some big dudes in that store at the time of the shootings, the gunman would have thought twice about doing this horrible act.

For women out there going out to do their shopping alone in the immediate area, do yourselves a favor and do you shopping in Orland Park for now. Not that Tinley is bad, but it is rather deselet at that mall. Orland is absolutely packed to the brim with people. (not that that is neccessarily a good thing), but I can't see something like this happening at the Lane Bryant in Orland Park. There would be 50 sets of eyes on this dude as he came out of the store vs. having NOBODY see him!
I know we all want to believe that this piece of garbage is not local, or that's he's from the South side or some other bad place. However, it may just be that he lives in the area or nearby. One of the carjacking suspects from last year was from nearby Crest Hill, not exactly a hot bed for drug dealers and murdering thugs. Regardless, I hope they find him soon. He most likely would have no trouble killing again.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:49 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,288,604 times
All malls are bad - just read the local police reports. My mom got mugged and had an attempted carjacking in the Oak brook mall parking garage. Never park in those parking garages there if you are a woman by yourself! Also, keep your belongings in the car - out of sight at all malls. Your windows will be smashed in to get your GPSes, purses, phones, etc. you leave in there.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:59 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,480,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
I wouldn't go there alone if I were a woman. Not that a man is going to stop a bullet, but I'm sure if there were some big dudes in that store at the time of the shootings, the gunman would have thought twice about doing this horrible act.
It didn't stop the shootings at Virginia Tech or at that Von Maur or any of the school shootings that have happened. When someone does this they're hardly thinking clearly.

If this guy was really just looking to kill innocent people, what difference does it make where it is? This stuff can and does happen everywhere, but living a life in fear, or always making sure I have a man with me everywhere I go isn't much of a way to live.

I'm sick of men telling me what I should and shouldn't do alone. That's not entirely directed at you NYrules; just a general way the media portrays "the dangers of being a woman" This jackass had a gun- being a man wouldn't have changed a damn thing.

Last edited by mdz; 02-04-2008 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: language

Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
It didn't stop the shootings at Virginia Tech or at that Von Maur or any of the school shootings that have happened. When someone does this they're hardly thinking clearly.

If this guy was really just looking to kill innocent people, what difference does it make where it is? This stuff can and does happen everywhere, but living a life in fear, or always making sure I have a man with me everywhere I go isn't much of a way to live.

I'm sick of men telling me what I should and shouldn't do alone. That's not entirely directed at you NYrules; just a general way the media portrays "the dangers of being a woman" This jackass had a gun- being a man wouldn't have changed a damn thing.
I agree aragx, but this guy probably sought out this store because he assumed there would be all women inside. So in this case, the presence of a few men may have made a difference.

Last edited by mdz; 02-04-2008 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: edited quote for language

Old 02-04-2008, 02:39 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,596,099 times
The cops still haven't made an arrest? That's unfortunate. Usually, quintuple homicides get solved pretty fast. Hopefully the FBI will fill in the gaps in their abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs