Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 12:10 AM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 139,528 times

Advertisements

Might have a job opportunity with a relocation here.

How integrated/removed from Chicago is it? Will I worry about getting shot on a random street corner? Will I freeze to death in -30 windchills daily? Expensive? Cheap? White? Diverse? Liberal? Republican? Old? Young?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 09:54 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Northbrook is a very nice suburb that is about 22 mile northwest of the heart of Chicago's business district.

YOU ARE A FOOL IF YOU THINK YOU WOULD GET SHOT THERE! It, like pretty much all other suburbs with median home prices approaching $500k is VERY safe.

There is mix of FAMILIES that appreciate the high performing schools, a sizeable portion of town traces their roots to the traditional European countries that once were the center of Judaism. More recent immigrant from former Easter Bloc countries are also not uncommon. There are a sizeable percentage of families from Asian nations and India as well.

It is mostly politically moderate, with a pretty even mix of folks that likely voted for the current President in either or both of his election runs as well as those that voted for his opponents.

Current temps are about 40 degrees. The sun is out. This is a nice day for December in the region.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:44 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post

How integrated/removed from Chicago is it? Will I worry about getting shot on a random street corner? Will I freeze to death in -30 windchills daily? Expensive? Cheap? White? Diverse? Liberal? Republican? Old? Young?
LMAO at the shooting remark. Northbrook is one of the nicest suburbs in the Chicago area. I worked there for 20 years, and I'm moving there this January. It's mostly European American (I hate the term "white") and Eastern Asian mix of people, and mostly middle aged and older folks, although there are many younger families that are there for the schools. It's not cheap, but its not crazy expensive either like the neighboring North Shore. There is lots of religious diversity there as well, from Jewish, Catholic, Protestant and Muslim. There are synagogues, churches and a mosque there. You can also be an atheist, and be happy! East Northbrook is a bit more expensive than West Northbrook as well.

My husband is conservative and I'm a liberal, and neighboring Glenview is more conservative. I'm not sure about Northbrook though. Much of Illinois is pretty conservative, except for the city and some burbs. We're moving to Northbrook primarily for the schools, which are some of the best in the state.

Chicago weather is crazy and that includes Northbrook and all the other surrounding burbs.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:56 PM

123 posts, read 226,677 times
Echo many of the comments above. Northbrook is an affluent, safe, educated, family oriented community. Crime is low and mainly from outsiders. A large Jewish representation with a good number of Asians and others. A lot depends on your district as there are 4.

The housing stock is old so even though median house is 500k, you would be hard pressed to get something at this price you would be happy with lot wise and upgrades in the 3-4 bedroom range. New constructions on decent lots would go above 1 mil. Schools are some of the best. Parents really involved and care. More hardworking professionals than the older money found near the lake. More relaxed vibe as well. Overall 10/10.

Last edited by rocky12345; 12-06-2015 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-06-2015, 02:08 PM

21 posts, read 20,292 times
Ditto what the pp have said. Northbrook is a upper middle class community about 25 miles north of the city. Very safe, good schools, and low crime.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:24 PM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 139,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
LMAO at the shooting remark. Northbrook is one of the nicest suburbs in the Chicago area. I worked there for 20 years, and I'm moving there this January. It's mostly European American (I hate the term "white") and Eastern Asian mix of people, and mostly middle aged and older folks, although there are many younger families that are there for the schools. It's not cheap, but its not crazy expensive either like the neighboring North Shore. There is lots of religious diversity there as well, from Jewish, Catholic, Protestant and Muslim. There are synagogues, churches and a mosque there. You can also be an atheist, and be happy! East Northbrook is a bit more expensive than West Northbrook as well.

My husband is conservative and I'm a liberal, and neighboring Glenview is more conservative. I'm not sure about Northbrook though. Much of Illinois is pretty conservative, except for the city and some burbs. We're moving to Northbrook primarily for the schools, which are some of the best in the state.

Chicago weather is crazy and that includes Northbrook and all the other surrounding burbs.
Here's the weather for the next 10 days:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USIL0867:1:US

Shouldn't it be negative temperature with snow in the middle of December?

Old 12-06-2015, 04:44 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post

Connected to Chicago by commuter rail. No worries about getting shot. Might freeze to death if not properly dressed. Expensive and white, mostly Republican. Some employers have van pools from various places, some buses from the train station. So if you can't afford to live there commuting isn't too bad. Since it is north of the city, traffic runs faster on the north-south axis.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:00 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
The older alignment of Jewish folks toward candidates from the Democratic Party still stands as a mediating force in Northbrook.

There are lots of younger families with ties to Asia / India / Middle East, growing percentage of Hispanic too -- NORTHBROOK SD 28: District Profile There is a fairly long history of rentals being a good entry for folks that either cannot afford a single family home or do not need the commitment of ownership...

Old 12-06-2015, 06:44 PM

123 posts, read 226,677 times
Not many rentals in northbrook since I looked recently and they were pricey outdated single family homes. Salem walk is in unincorporated at the outskirts.

Most of Northbrook is white and asian. Indian, hispanic and middle east is definitely a tiny minority.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:01 PM

213 posts, read 227,794 times
Northbrook is not at all particularly Republican, nor conservative. It's wealthy but very Jewish, so the usual Republican Christian fundamentalism doesn't get too much traction there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs