Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:08 AM

73 posts, read 163,575 times

Advertisements

But the difference between institutions like Notre Dame and Wheaton College is that Wheaton requires its faculty and staff to sign a statement of faith. The University's mission is rooted in Catholic thinking, but Notre Dame faculty are under no obligation to be Catholic or espouse Catholic views. Wheaton College faculty do have to espouse the same views as the University's mission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 10:36 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesco View Post
But the difference between institutions like Notre Dame and Wheaton College is that Wheaton requires its faculty and staff to sign a statement of faith. The University's mission is rooted in Catholic thinking, but Notre Dame faculty are under no obligation to be Catholic or espouse Catholic views. Wheaton College faculty do have to espouse the same views as the University's mission.
Right. But they have their own gimmicks. There's actually a mandate, set forth by a previous pope, that says Catholic universities must have more than 50% Catholic faculty. As far as I know, Notre Dame adheres to that mandate, and must therefore have some sort of screening process for professors. Not as extreme as at Wheaton, obviously, but my point was that these sorts of things exist to varying degrees at private colleges and universities across the country.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:43 AM

From the WSJ back in 2006: A Test of Faith - WSJ

Old 12-18-2015, 10:51 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,533,793 times
I am very glad Wheaton has taken a stand Like an earlier poster said, if she is not in agreement she should move on.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:11 AM

298 posts, read 579,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohardin View Post
Believing and upholding a Statement of Faith doesn't mean that you are "rigid". These days having strong convictions will get you a label of being intolerant and hateful.

If she can't get behind Wheaton College's mission then she needs to move on.
I agree, however it is the Statement of Faith or "Belief System" itself which is rigid:

Definition of Rigid
: deficient in or devoid of flexibility <rigid price controls> <a rigid bar of metal>
: appearing stiff and unyielding <his face rigid with pain>
: inflexibly set in opinion
: strictly observed <adheres to a rigid schedule>

Look, it's perfectly fine for Wheaton to require their faculty to be behaviorally and intellectually submissive. I for one would never subject myself to such a rigid system. I prefer a dynamic learning community, including a theological community, where an exchange of diverse theological ideas is generative. So, my critique is that places like Wheaton, which requires intellectual and behavioral submission are inferior learning communities.

I think Notre Dame is not a lateral example. For instance, they have same sex benefits, and one doesn't have to be a catholic. If there is a 50% rule (and I'm not sure there is?) it's probably easily maintained through administrative appointments as opposed to research faculty.

Again, if people want to participate in a learning community (as student or faculty) where one must disavow independent thinking, submit to behavioral and intellectual restrictions, and suppress differences of opinion to remain a member of the group, GO FOR IT! But I still call it an inferior learning community.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:24 AM

298 posts, read 579,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Right. But they have their own gimmicks. There's actually a mandate, set forth by a previous pope, that says Catholic universities must have more than 50% Catholic faculty. As far as I know, Notre Dame adheres to that mandate, and must therefore have some sort of screening process for professors. Not as extreme as at Wheaton, obviously, but my point was that these sorts of things exist to varying degrees at private colleges and universities across the country.

Apparently a decree from 1990 did require this. However, it appears it is more aspirational than anything. And, when it comes down to it places like Notre Dame which is a R1 Research Institution are more interested in faculty research programs, scholarship (and accompanying grants) than what one professes.

"A 1990 papal statement on Catholic higher education, Ex Corde Ecclesiae, states “the number of non-Catholic teachers should not be allowed to constitute a majority within the institution."

Old 12-18-2015, 11:26 AM

70 posts, read 92,548 times
I am very surprised they moved right to suspension - her statement was pretty benign, even if it wasn't fully in line with the college's statement of faith. They could have discussed it privately with her and come to some sort of agreement before going nuclear.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:48 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,533,793 times
Saying Christians and Islam worship the same God is not benign. Any Muslim worth his salt would be highly offended.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:49 AM

73 posts, read 163,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Saying Christians and Islam worship the same God is not benign. Any Muslim worth his salt would be highly offended.
I believe the term "people of the book" originates with Islam.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:14 PM

The editorial board at the Chicago Tribune has issued an opinion stating that both Dr. Hawkins and the college should be given latitude:

The Wheaton College tiff: Christianity, Islam and -- surprise -- remarkable tolerance - Chicago Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs