U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 PM

4,032 posts, read 4,292,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz768 View Post
I'm currently looking for a place to live in the southern suburbs and I'll be the first one to admit that the first thing I'm looking at is the ethnic make up of each city. In almost all cases, the cities with the higher black and Hispanic populations also have the higher crime rates. I don't care about the social-economic reasons for their troubles, I just know that I'm not interested in living in those places. If that's racist, so be it.
You're a fool. There are pleanty of nice south suburbs with low crime rates and high black populations. The social and economic factors are much more important through any kind of logical reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 AM

3,560 posts, read 4,524,565 times
Quote:
I'm currently looking for a place to live in the southern suburbs and I'll be the first one to admit that the first thing I'm looking at is the ethnic make up of each city. In almost all cases, the cities with the higher black and Hispanic populations also have the higher crime rates. I don't care about the social-economic reasons for their troubles, I just know that I'm not interested in living in those places. If that's racist, so be it.
Let me just cut to the chase...

The South Burbs Has the most black people in the region (outside the city of course) So if you're looking for a place to live in this region you have to look more at income and economics. There are alot of middle class and even upper class towns with >50% black population and a low crime rate

If you have an issue living by black people look elsewhere. Plain and simple

mas23

Old 08-15-2012, 06:33 PM

39 posts, read 42,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
You're a fool. There are pleanty of nice south suburbs with low crime rates and high black populations. The social and economic factors are much more important through any kind of logical reasoning.
I've found one, Flossmoor.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 PM

4,032 posts, read 4,292,255 times
Quote:
I've found one, Flossmoor.
Nice job googling my zip code.

Flossmoor, Homewood, Olympia Fields, Matteson, South Holland, etc. it's no secret that there is a large middle class black popluation in the south is suburbs as a whole.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:55 PM

320 posts, read 400,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post
Hi,
My family and I are looking to move to this area because of employment and the ease of commuting by Metra to the city of Chicago.
Does anyone have any idea about the schools, parks, community, etc. Do any of these places have a small town feel as opposed to a sprawling suburban commuter town? We are looking for the small town feel and want to put down roots, get to know people and families and really belong where we live.
I know that there has been a thread on Flossmoor about it having a lot of Jewish people, which is fine by me, but apart from that what do people know? We are looking for good education, diverse communities, friendly people, good shopping other than Walmart or the same old stripmalls.
Thanks!
Homewood, is probably what you are looking for. Good education, diverse, friendly people, superior park district and decent shopping. Of course, Tinley Park has much better shopping, but not as diverse as Homewood. Homewood, is like a small town with a beautiful, charming downtown with tons of mom-and-pop stores. However, Tinley Park has become an oversize suburb with cookie cutter mcmansions and commercial shopping. Flossmoor is very nice and wealthy, but its in the same HS district as Homewood. You would probably get more bang for your buck in Homewood.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:34 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,896,111 times
Homewood is way over looked
This is probably one of the best communities in the South Burbs.

Excellant PD, Fire Dept, Clean and has a wonderful parks dept

Its location could not be better with a Metra line smack dab in the middle of town along with businesses that are actually open and vibrant.

It is also located along major interstates that you can access in each direction quickly.

Obviously I am a fan of Homewood but if you go and visit you will see that it really HAS what most people are looking for.

Hard to beat a community with such offerings.

Places to eat and newer chain stores in the shopping centers.

It is also really close to major shopping in Orland park and close to Tinley.

The housing stock is varied in terms of price and has just about every shape size and dollar amount for most budgets.

To top it off the crime rates are super low..
The downside is preception because its south of Harvey and people run.
All in all its a great village check it out.

I doubt if you will find many negatives.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 929 times
Default Current Trends in Homewood Flossmor --looking to move

Moving to any area some of the key considerations if one has a family are:
- price of home & taxes
- quality of schools (diversity of students, college readiness, etc.)
- commute to work/proximity to expressway and rail
- commute should one switch jobs to another suburb or location
- quality of social infrastructure (shopping, fire dept/police, libraries, etc.)
- diversity (if one requires a real world reflectionvs homogeneity)

I was Chicago born and raised, within the city. After moving back as a professional (following some years after college), I'm now living in the Skokie/Evanston area. I'm currently looking to possibly move. Because having a comprehensive value for my dollar is important along with the above criteria I have been looking at the Homewood Flossmor area. However, knowing some extended family and friends who live that way, I am a bit concerned. I've noticed that the HF high school's ranking has been in a downward trend. Aside of the economic issues of the recession, the vast listings of homes and short sales signals an overwhelming flight, which will inevitably result in an erosion to the tax base and services. I very much like the types of homes, and the diversity, and the commute wouldn't be so horrible (as I work in the Loop).

Any insights on the recent trends going on in the area over the last 12-18 months and where things are likely to head in the next 3-7 years. No one can truly predict how stable or unstable things will in fact become, but I would tend to think residents in the area and surrounding communities have a better gauge.

As an aside, it seems that Tinley Park--similar to Oak Park and Evanston--has remained relatively insulated from the fallout that required many ppl to have to do strategic defaults or foreclose. I have noticed that hasn't necessarily been the case in HF, Olympia Fields, etc--not that these places have been hard hit; however, the flight out of these areas signals that the infrastructure will not support the burgeoning that these communities were experiencing.

Thoughts????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs