Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 9,017 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We live in South CA right now, just thinking about moving to a diff state. How's chicago sub? I'm looking for a family town, safe and great school for kids. Anybody can tell me a good suburb around chicago? I've heard about Napperville, but so far when I check the housing there mostly are old development, we like a newer community.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 12:20 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,447,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicychocolab View Post
Hi there,
We live in South CA right now, just thinking about moving to a diff state. How's chicago sub? I'm looking for a family town, safe and great school for kids. Anybody can tell me a good suburb around chicago? I've heard about Napperville, but so far when I check the housing there mostly are old development, we like a newer community.

Thanks
Uhhh, much of Naperville has been built in the last 10 years. Sounds like someone pulling the chain and trying to start trouble to me.

If you want Chic stay in cal. I doubt you could survive a Winter or even a Spring or Fall.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,488,589 times
The newest of "new" communities are far out from the Loop if totally new is what you are looking for. Naperville isn't neccessarily old by Chicago standards, but I can understand where you are coming from having lived south of LA for a couple of years and being used to everything being mostly new or new/cheery looking can be a bit of a shock when you venture into the eastern US cities where everything is all old.

In the metro area of Chicago the newest communities currently are either WAY up north like near the IL/WI line, way out west towards DeKalb, or down on the south side near Joliet. Now there are plenty of nice areas near Joliet so don't go and let someone tell you it is a crime ridden hell hole on the south side because that is simply not true. I think the northsiders to be honest wish it were true because many people from the northside now are flocking to the south side due to the cheaper housing and the fact that it is mostly new, causing property values to stagger in those once posh areas that were only on the north side, but that is besides the point here.

If you want to find an area where you can get a lot of land for your money, maybe even have horses or whatever... a big dog, a couple of big dogs I would thumb up Frankfort Village of Frankfort and Manhattan both. In either case, there are homes going up in both towns that are truley breathtaking to say the least... If you like new that is. Typically you can find some areas out on Rte 30 near Wolf Road and south of there where homes are situated on acre lots, have 3-5 car garages, pools, tennis courts, you name it, those homes have it. There is a Metra line that runs into the town and now with the completion of 355 you can take 355 north to I-55 and take that in bound or use RTE 45 north to I-55 inbound. Drive times to the Loop from Frankfort are about 75 minutes typically.

Shopping is going up all over the town (Frankfort) and you are close to Orland Park, so if you need a mall or whatever you can always drive to Orland in 15 minutes. Schools are top notch in Frankfort putting you into Lincoln Way's district of which is known for being a very prestigous all new school and there is a new mall underway in neighboring New Lenox that promises to dwarf Orland Square Mall as well as Woodfield Mall by offering 3 floors of indoor shopping. The mall is to be located off I 80 and Rte 30.

This is the mall to go in across the street from the "mega" mall. Cedar Crossings - New Lenox, Illinois

And the last thing I forgot to mention is that fact that with you coming from CA you may want an area that will get the least winter weather you can find in the Chicago area. Typically with Chicago and it's burbs, the weather will vary GREATLY over the area, today being a prime example as I sit in my Tinley Park office looking out at rain while on the news they are showing images of a blizzard going on on the north side near O'Hare only 30 miles away from my location. Southern burbs typically get less harsh of a winter than north side areas and hotter longer summer than up north. This of course is not to say the south side doesn't get snow, but it does get less.

Here are some of the homes. Frankfort Homes for Sale. Real Estate in Frankfort, Illinois

Manhattan Homes for Sale. Real Estate in Manhattan, Illinois

Last edited by NYrules; 02-06-2008 at 10:50 AM..

Old 02-06-2008, 10:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,464,238 times
What part of Southern Cali are you from?

What school district?

Does someone in your household work?

Commuting times are critical in all areas.

Property taxes are substantially higher in Illinois than in California but then again, income taxes are substantially lower.

Utilities, heat and air conditioning are serious cost factors of living in the Chicago area.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:37 PM

137 posts, read 200,182 times
Do you like the water?

Where will you be working?

Commute time?

Old or New or Both?

Do you want North, South, Northwest, or West?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 PM

22 posts, read 106,885 times
Naperville is definitely not a old suburb. There are many areas with new developments, and it's really an ideal suburb. The schools are superb; it's really the quintessential suburban city. Places like the quarry and events like the "Last Fling" and ribfest are wonderful and attract a lot of young people.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:39 AM

18 posts, read 55,016 times
Being Liberal or Conservative also helps with your decision. Remember Liberal = North... Conservative = South. NewLenox=conservative, Naperville=Liberal. I.M.H.O. Generally speaking... but used to live in N.L. for 15 yrs. :|

Old 03-03-2008, 11:39 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,131,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa View Post
Hi :
Are you Liberal or Conservative? Northside is Lib, south is conservative. Think a "Little" about it. I used to live in New Lenox, and it's too conservative for me. Naperville is more Liberal. Any town can grab land and annex it. Frankfort can only annex south and east, and if you go east you run into Matteson... same with New Lenox.. they
Naperville is liberal?

Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 AM

677 posts, read 4,199,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Naperville is liberal?
And Naperville is north? What does that make the north suburbs, Wisconsin?

Old 03-03-2008, 11:58 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,131,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahava View Post
And Naperville is north? What does that make the north suburbs, Wisconsin?
Saskatchewan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs