Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 01:20 PM

9 posts, read 14,502 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are thinking about moving out of Wauconda, thanks to rising tax prices. We have a few requirements we are looking for. Good schools, affordable, great for families. We currently have a three year old and a 9 month old. Ideally, we'd like the option of my wife being able to stop working to be home with the kids.

I currently work full time in Crystal Lake, and monthly have to travel to Arlington Heights for military duty. We'd like to keep our mortgage under $1500/month for a 3 bedroom home over 1800 sq ft. We've been looking in the Crystal Lake area to move, but I'm not entirely sold. I occasionally have to travel to Kenosha for work, and if I were to transfer up there, that's a brutal commute. We also have to travel out to Skokie once or twice a month to see my wife's Grandparents. the rest of her family lives around Vernon Hill and Gurnee.

From what I've seen, Lake Zurich and the Vernon Hills area are outside of our range. I'm also not a big fan of Mundelein, but I know there are some good areas. I feel like our requirements make it rather impossible to find something, but any and all suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 03:06 PM

79 posts, read 127,742 times
There arent really any nice areas between arlington heights and crystal lake within your budget. If you dont mind the commute, just get a house in arlington heights. Crystal lake is in the middle of mother f'n nowhere.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:49 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,343,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaska View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are thinking about moving out of Wauconda, thanks to rising tax prices. We have a few requirements we are looking for. Good schools, affordable, great for families. We currently have a three year old and a 9 month old. Ideally, we'd like the option of my wife being able to stop working to be home with the kids.

I currently work full time in Crystal Lake, and monthly have to travel to Arlington Heights for military duty. We'd like to keep our mortgage under $1500/month for a 3 bedroom home over 1800 sq ft. We've been looking in the Crystal Lake area to move, but I'm not entirely sold. I occasionally have to travel to Kenosha for work, and if I were to transfer up there, that's a brutal commute. We also have to travel out to Skokie once or twice a month to see my wife's Grandparents. the rest of her family lives around Vernon Hill and Gurnee.

From what I've seen, Lake Zurich and the Vernon Hills area are outside of our range. I'm also not a big fan of Mundelein, but I know there are some good areas. I feel like our requirements make it rather impossible to find something, but any and all suggestions are welcome.
Define "mortgage". If it is the traditional mortgage of principal and interest, there are plenty of options. But if you are including real estate taxes and insurance, the options narrow considerably.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:38 PM

We would most likely go with a VA loan incorporating taxes in. Currently our insurance is about $500 a month. We're not opposed to going 1700 sq ft so long as it's a good layout to the house. Something kind of open.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:04 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,954,247 times
Your homeowner's insurance is $500 a month?!! Are you including your cars in that figure? If not, you're getting ripped off. If you go VA, the lender will escrow your property taxes and homeowner's insurance.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:16 PM

I'm sorry, I meant to say per year! Whoops!

Old 01-18-2016, 03:56 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,062,958 times
I would go with Crystal Lake, Cary, Grayslake, or Gurnee.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:40 PM

33 posts, read 40,665 times
Although this is likely not a factor in your decision, Wauconda has a fantastic downtown. There are plenty of bars and restaurants that back up to Bangs Lake. They also have Wauconda Days in June, which is fun for both children (carnival rides) AND adults (wine tasting, bingo, bands). I would compare it to downtown Arlington Heights, Barrington, or Palatine, but with the added bonus of beautiful lakeshore townhomes.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:01 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,383,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaska View Post
Hello,

I once had a co-worker that lived all the way out in Genoa City, WI. Looking at a map it is straight north of Crystal Lake (20.3 miles / 33 minutes in good conditions), but a nice little hike to Arlington Heights and just about every other town that you mentioned.

That being said, it is probably DIRT cheap compared to almost all of the Illinois suburbs of Chicago.

Maybe look into other exurban IL towns such as Woodstock, Huntley, Lakewood, Lake In The Hills, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs