Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 11,310 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move to the western suburbs this summer and are strongly considering Wheaton. My husband will be working in north Naperville off of I-88. We really like Wheaton because it's smaller/less crowded than Naperville, is very close to my husband's work, offers lots of greenspace, and the downtown area seems to be fairly walkable. Our max budget is $500k.

We have two young boys and I'm wondering about the schools. My older son will be going into 1st grade in the fall. I know Wheaton is known to have excellent schools, but there seems to be some variability among the elementary schools. Our target areas are Longfellow or Whittier districts (we'd like to be close to downtown if possible) but we recently saw a home in the Sandburg district that we loved (it had direct access to the Prairie Path). Sandburg is rated quite a bit lower than the previously mentioned schools, any idea why?

Was also wondering about the overall vibe of the community. Are people generally friendly/neighborly, do kids play with other kids in the neighborhood or do people mostly stay inside/keep to themselves? We are looking for a very family friendly community, so any recommendations on certain neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any advice! We will be moving from out of state so I really appreciate your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 12:58 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Really not that much variation between MOST attendance areas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_back View Post
We're looking to move to the western suburbs this summer and are strongly considering Wheaton. My husband will be working in north Naperville off of I-88. We really like Wheaton because it's smaller/less crowded than Naperville, is very close to my husband's work, offers lots of greenspace, and the downtown area seems to be fairly walkable. Our max budget is $500k.

We have two young boys and I'm wondering about the schools. My older son will be going into 1st grade in the fall. I know Wheaton is known to have excellent schools, but there seems to be some variability among the elementary schools. Our target areas are Longfellow or Whittier districts (we'd like to be close to downtown if possible) but we recently saw a home in the Sandburg district that we loved (it had direct access to the Prairie Path). Sandburg is rated quite a bit lower than the previously mentioned schools, any idea why?

Was also wondering about the overall vibe of the community. Are people generally friendly/neighborly, do kids play with other kids in the neighborhood or do people mostly stay inside/keep to themselves? We are looking for a very family friendly community, so any recommendations on certain neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any advice! We will be moving from out of state so I really appreciate your insight!
I saw a buddy this weekend that has lived in Wheaton for a long time. His kids are like mine -- out of college and moved out! I did ask him about some recent trends in Wheaton (he is in a business related to home construction and has lots of contacts...) and he agreed that Wheaton's older neighborhoods, that maybe did lag behind some of the new construction near Danada, are picking up in demand.

The important thing is that the various attendance areas are getting MORE similar in composition. Where once the new developments were capturing more of the younger more professional type home buyers, there is now a shift where the older areas are more in demand. The attendance areas matter less than simply finding the kind of home / neighborhood that suits your lifestyle.

As far "friendly" that too is something that is depends a whole lot on what your expectations are. Some subdivisions did have the sort of "we all moved here when we first started having kids" kind of HOA which is kind of natural way to meet people but now most of those subdivisions are seeing third owners along with empty nesters. Odds are if you are driving around on a nice day you'll see kids outside in probably MOST neighborhoods in DuPage Co, and odds are that some of those kids will be in the same grade as your kids / play on the same soccer group / be in the same "learn to swim" classes. It is a big part of how folks get to know one another...

Old 01-14-2016, 01:35 PM

748 posts, read 833,212 times
You'll probably also find a bunch of info in these threads:

Western suburb recommendation for stay at home dad

Glen Ellyn vs La Grange - need Lookout Kid, Chet and JJSki's advice

Happy hunting! For 500K in Wheaton you could get something very nice, in your pick of school zones.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:38 PM

217 posts, read 581,397 times
hollingsworth, this is your dream OP!!

Old 01-15-2016, 07:01 AM

79 posts, read 129,235 times
Quote:

I'm from the area and if you are a minority, people won't be friendly or open to you. Most people keep to themselves. The Wheaton community is tight knit. I think you should also consider glen Ellyn and southern Lombard. The briar glen elementary school in Wheaton is top knotch and feeds into glen Ellyn schools.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:28 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmoke3238 View Post
I'm from the area and if you are a minority, people won't be friendly or open to you.
I too live in the area, and my reaction is to call this out as a complete fallacy. Yet we are talking about the Chicago suburbs in 2015, and the reality is that underlying racism does exist here. I don't think it's worse in Wheaton than any other similar suburb, however (majority white, somewhat affluent). I don't know that you can say Wheaton is any more or less racist than Naperville, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, or Elmhurst.

Quote:
Most people keep to themselves. The Wheaton community is tight knit.
Once again, I don't think you can make this sort of blanket statement about Wheaton, or say that it's really any different from any other suburb in this regard. Some people keep to themselves, and others are outgoing. There is nothing strange about Wheaton in this regard.

Quote:
I think you should also consider glen Ellyn and southern Lombard. The briar glen elementary school in Wheaton is top knotch and feeds into glen Ellyn schools.
I would encourage anyone looking at Wheaton to see what else is out there in the vicinity. Glen Ellyn is a good option for some, as is Lombard. However, I don't see any advantage to living in a Wheaton neighborhood that feeds in to Glen Ellyn schools since Wheaton schools are also quite good.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:21 PM

7 posts, read 11,310 times
Thank you for your insight. We are also considering Glen Ellyn and Downers Grove. I ask about the overall "friendliness" of the community because where we've lived for the last two years, people are considerably more friendly than anywhere we've encountered while living in Chicago and we have enjoyed that. Ideally, we'd like to live in a neighborhood where people get to know one another, the neighborhood kids play/walk to school together, etc but maybe such a thing doesn't exist anymore? At any rate, I realize it will be difficult to gauge these things until we actually move in. I appreciate everyone's input.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your insight. We are also considering Glen Ellyn and Downers Grove. I ask about the overall "friendliness" of the community because where we've lived for the last two years, people are considerably more friendly than anywhere we've encountered while living in Chicago and we have enjoyed that. Ideally, we'd like to live in a neighborhood where people get to know one another, the neighborhood kids play/walk to school together, etc but maybe such a thing doesn't exist anymore? At any rate, I realize it will be difficult to gauge these things until we actually move in. I appreciate everyone's input.
IMO, glen Ellyn would be where you would find the most friendliness and close knitness. Everyone knows everyone in Glen Ellyn. Lombard would probably come second to that. I think you should avoid downers grove though

Old 01-15-2016, 01:37 PM

748 posts, read 833,212 times
Quote:
IMO, glen Ellyn would be where you would find the most friendliness and close knitness. Everyone knows everyone in Glen Ellyn. Lombard would probably come second to that. I think you should avoid downers grove though
Avoid DG because...it's un-friendly?

Old 01-15-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Avoid DG because...it's un-friendly?
Because its not as close knit community as glen ellyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs