Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 8,373 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting a new job in Chicago. I am a special education resource teacher with 4 years experience. What is my chance of getting a sped job in the suburbs (Naperville, Downer's Grove)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 01:54 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
My understanding is that special ed teachers are always in high demand.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:32 PM

216 posts, read 720,704 times
Probably pretty good. Special Education is in high demand and 4 years experience makes you marketable, but not yet too expensive. There should be postings soon, but you can start those online applications anytime you want. Remember to save your answers to the essay questions somewhere in a WORD file so you can copy and paste. The same questions are repeated by many different districts.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:54 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,210,241 times
You should look into Little Friends
Little Friends, Inc. - Home (http://www.littlefriendsinc.org/home.asp - broken link)

Old 02-07-2008, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 8,373 times
Thank you so much for the helpful information. In Nebraska, most schools post and hire by January so positions don't go unfilled.
Anyone have recommendations on schools/districts to apply to?
Is it true if you teach for CPS you must by a house in the city limits?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 AM

677 posts, read 4,197,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katydickerson View Post
Is it true if you teach for CPS you must by a house in the city limits?
If you teach for CPS you must live in Chicago, yes.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:51 PM

216 posts, read 720,704 times
Check the vacancy lists on the county websites:

Suburban Cook County Regional Office of Education > Home
DuPage Regional Office of Education
Lake County Illinois Regional Office of Education

Other links are on the Dupage site for Kane County and other areas.

Teaching salaries can be compared at The Champion - Education Issues and School Reform

Old 02-08-2008, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 15,770 times
Hi, I'm not sure about Naperville, Downers Grove, but I know a great special school in the burbs called Elim Christian School. It is located in Palos Heights and I know first hand that the staff are wonderful and the programs very good, plus they have been expanding so perhaps there are vacancies. I am a therapist live in Palos Park (awesome area) which is 10 min tops to Elim and our metra station is 2 min walk away taking +/-30min to downtown (perhaps your husband will be working downtown?). Here is their website Elim Christian Services + Moving Beyond.... You should check out our area for homes too. Good Luck!!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:04 AM

109 posts, read 351,126 times
If you're interested in working for Chicago, you may be able to apply for a waiver of the residency requirement if you are a sped teacher:

Exemptions to the Residency Policy for Special Needs Areas

Newly hired teachers of the CPS for the 2009 - 2010 school year and who are certified/endorsed in subject areas deemed special needs may apply for a waiver to the residency policy, provided they are hired to teach in a special needs area of education. Such individuals must complete and submit applications for exemptions to the residency policy within 31 calendar days of their dates of hire. If granted, exemptions will be valid for three (3) academic years after the employee's date of hire and may be renewed for subsequent three (3) year periods, provided that the employees continue to be employed in a special needs position.

The current areas of education assessed as special needs are:
  • Special Education Teachers
  • Mathematics Teachers
  • Science Teachers
  • Librarians
  • Guidance Counselors
  • School Nurses
  • Reading Teachers
  • Bilingual Teachers
  • Physical Education Teachers
  • School Psychologists
  • Speech Pathologists
  • ROTC
  • Sign Language Interpreters
  • Occupational & Physical Therapists
  • Health Service Nurses
  • World Language (Exclusively: Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Latin, Farsi)

Residency Requirement

Old 04-16-2010, 11:53 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,704,174 times
I think I just read that the state legislature overruled Chicago and no longer requires CPS teachers to reside in the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs