U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 10:20 AM

8 posts, read 7,828 times

Advertisements

I am searching for my first home and have toured a few in Plainfield. I noticed when entering the subdivision that there were signs with information from the City of Joliet. According to my realtor, Joliet provides services like trash pickup, police, etc. Can anyone provide any additional information or experience with this? One of the homes I particularly like was in the Clublands Subdivision, if that helps.
Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 04:52 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,519,689 times
As long as you're not in the Joliet school district, you should be fine. That area is in the Plainfield South HS district which is worse than the other Plainfield high schools, so the resale value will be worse than the rest of Plainfield but far better than if it was in the Joliet school district or even in Joliet.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:17 AM

81 posts, read 92,037 times
This is a source of great confusion for many people. I grew up in this area so I can break it down a bit:

Plainfield is the oldest community in Will County, so they have a giant school district boundary due to the farms way back in the day. Much of the land west of I-55 was unincorporated until the city of Joliet began annexing huge sections of land leading up into the 2000's. The township is Plainfield, the schools are Plainfield, but all the street signs, city services, police/fire/water/garbage is joliet. Wedgewood golf course on 59/Caton Farm Rd is Joliet Park district, but many of the surrounding subdivisions parks are maintained by the Plainfield Park District. The border for Plainfield and Joliet schools can also be confusing, because neighboring Troy School District, which many people associate with the village of Shorewood, feeds into Joliet West High School, but many of the Troy school district subdivisions have Plainfield addresses...with Joliet Cops. It's like a giant patchwork and even the people who live there argue about where they live. The "Real" Plainfield people say we live in Joliet, and the "Real" Joliet people say we live in Plainfield. If you live between Essington Rd to the east and I-55 to the west, you have a Joliet address and go to Plainfield schools. If you live between I-55 to the East and County line Road to the west, you have a Plainfield address, go to Plainfield schools, but all the city signs, police, etc, is Joliet. It gets even more weird once you cross into Kendall county. That's where Joliet addresses begin again. Plainfield South High School literally has a Joliet water tower on its campus. Thomas Jefferson Elementary school, way way west in Kendall County, has a Joliet address, but is a Plainfield school.

TLDR, even we don't know what town to identify with, but neither towns say we belong to their towns. I like to think of that Caton Farm/59 area as it's own distinct area. Once you go south of Theodore and west of 59, kids will go to Joliet West. Everywhere else, east of Essington Road, goes to Plainfield schools no matter the address, for the most part.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:30 AM

12,534 posts, read 15,685,575 times
Not that uncommon. ZIP codes are based on the most efficient way to handle mail, and sometimes they don't line up with municipal boundaries. I have heard that many times people get up in arms when the Postal Service changes someone's address to a less fashionable ZIP, even though they still live in the same City and School District. In this case having a Plainfield ZIP is a plus, but your property value could drop if reassigned to Joliet.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:04 PM

6 posts, read 6,990 times
In the 90's developers where buying up cheap land in Plainfield township. The Caton farm area, Theodore, Essington and any other area with Plainfield addresses with Joliet services are not residents of Plainfield. They are residents of Joliet. The city of Joliet annexed these developments and the developers wanted a better marketing strategy to sell homes, so they were allowed to list plainfield addresses on these new homes. Plainfield was a more sought after town and no one really wanted to build a new house in joliet. To this day, people that live there say they live in plainfield. yes their address says it but they don't. They may live in Plainfield school district but so do other towns/areas that arent Plainfield. (crest hill, romeoville, naperville, bolingbrook) The developers only really tried to hide the fact that buyers were actually buyng in joliet or "Joilet"

ps. Actual plainfield residents were very angry about this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs