Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 11:56 PM

155 posts, read 210,523 times

Advertisements

Alright, I am seriously considering the MT. Prospect area.

Wanted to get the feedback on the Metra station parking. Will it be in issue finding a spot at 7-730am?

Let me know what you all think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 08:47 AM

Default bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd555 View Post
Alright, I am seriously considering the MT. Prospect area.

Wanted to get the feedback on the Metra station parking. Will it be in issue finding a spot at 7-730am?

Let me know what you all think.
Insight?

Old 04-27-2016, 08:57 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,196,833 times
By 7:30am you should be fine. My friend was regularly commuting to the loop from that station and never griped about not having a spot in the morning. He is certainly a person to complain about things, so I am confident

This seems like the cart before the horse though(?) I'd find a house first, then worry about your parking issues 8-)

Quote:
Insight?

Old 04-27-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
By 7:30am you should be fine. My friend was regularly commuting to the loop from that station and never griped about not having a spot in the morning. He is certainly a person to complain about things, so I am confident

This seems like the cart before the horse though(?) I'd find a house first, then worry about your parking issues 8-)
Haha...we're looking. Not being able to park would be an issue. My realtor said it fills up and his moms used to live in the area years ago and parked in Arlington Heights metra instead. This was years ago.

I saw they have lots of lots, Mt. Prospect residents parking only, etc. I just wanted to get some validation.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,196,833 times
Sure, but there's no real validation until you start actually residing somewhere You can do what I did- take a slightly earlier train to work(!)

cheers

p.s. so what made you jump to Mt Prospect?

Quote:
Haha...we're looking. Not being able to park would be an issue. My realtor said it fills up and his moms used to live in the area years ago and parked in Arlington Heights metra instead. This was years ago.

I saw they have lots of lots, Mt. Prospect residents parking only, etc. I just wanted to get some validation.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Sure, but there's no real validation until you start actually residing somewhere You can do what I did- take a slightly earlier train to work(!)

cheers

p.s. so what made you jump to Mt Prospect?
It seems like a great town when I visited, it has the Park Ridge feel but with better schools.

Its a 30 min train ride daily, at most 10 min drive to the train station from home. The houses are a wee bit cheaper in price but you can get more house/land for you money in better condition than my other choices (Northbrook, HP, Deerfield, Glenview). It is also a 30-40 min drive to my mom in West Rogers Park.

Also, if you are careful with location, you wind up in great Indain Grove schools/Prospect HS or Hershey.

An example of what can be had,

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Mount-Pros.../home/13694348
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Mount-Pros.../home/13823399
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Mount-Pros.../home/13822356

many more

Old 04-27-2016, 12:09 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,950,339 times
I had not checked the actual percentages of how Prospect HS compares to Maine South for things like AP tests lately but I have to admit that the participation does currently seem much stronger at Prospect and even considering the slightly lower "pass rate" (which is complicated because even the College Board admits that some tests clearly are more challenging ...) that is a troubling shift for Maine South...

Prospect High School in Mt Prospect, IL | Test Scores | US News

Maine South High School in Park Ridge, IL | Test Scores | US News

Inlaws used to live in Mt. Prospect and some spots really are quite nice. Good luck!

Old 04-27-2016, 12:17 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,324,601 times
Quote:
It seems like a great town when I visited, it has the Park Ridge feel but with better schools.
Who says better schools? Park Ridge's elementary schools performed better on the ISAT than all but one in Mt. Prospect, and Maine East has put up PSAE and ACT numbers nearly identical to Prospect over the years. The only real edge is on AP exams, where chet has shown Prospect clearly does a better job. Regardless, they're likely closer to even on the desirability scale.

MAINE SOUTH HIGH SCHOOL: School Profile
PROSPECT HIGH SCHOOL: School Profile

Old 04-27-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I had not checked the actual percentages of how Prospect HS compares to Maine South for things like AP tests lately but I have to admit that the participation does currently seem much stronger at Prospect and even considering the slightly lower "pass rate" (which is complicated because even the College Board admits that some tests clearly are more challenging ...) that is a troubling shift for Maine South...

Prospect High School in Mt Prospect, IL | Test Scores | US News

Maine South High School in Park Ridge, IL | Test Scores | US News

Inlaws used to live in Mt. Prospect and some spots really are quite nice. Good luck!
Thanks! To be honest, I didn't look too hard at Maine South. I used Illinois Report Card, Great Schools and US News to research schools. Prospect is #11 and Hershey is #12, Maine South...#44, behind wheeling, Rolling Meadows, etc.

I'm hoping to see a few places this weekend, might see some in Glenview and HP as well. Need to have some frame of reference.

I will keep everyone updated!

Old 04-27-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Who says better schools? Park Ridge's elementary schools performed better on the ISAT than all but one in Mt. Prospect, and Maine East has put up PSAE and ACT numbers nearly identical to Prospect over the years. The only real edge is on AP exams, where chet has shown Prospect clearly does a better job. Regardless, they're likely closer to even on the desirability scale.

MAINE SOUTH HIGH SCHOOL: School Profile
PROSPECT HIGH SCHOOL: School Profile
I am not saying Maine South is bad in anyway. It is much better than Rolling Meadows, Wheeling and Skokie schools. But in Prospect and Hershey are almos tin line with Glenbook North and South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs