Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 10,986 times

Advertisements

I wonder how much Illinois overall will decline. The quality of the problems is staggering, read big problems compared to other states, and I see a second Detroit happen in the next 10 to 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 08:36 PM

143 posts, read 217,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.connors View Post
I wonder how much Illinois overall will decline. The quality of the problems is staggering, read big problems compared to other states, and I see a second Detroit happen in the next 10 to 20 years.
I don't think Chicago could become a second Detroit, as Detroit only had the auto industry. Chicago has so much more than Detroit ever did. However, I can picture a somewhat significant decline in Chicago unless Illinois fixes itself. I picture NW Indiana and Southern Wisconsin spontaneously growing from people fleeing Illinois corruption and taxes. The Chicago suburbs I believe will be affected more than Chicago itself. But, hopefully Illinois can redeem itself in the coming years.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:45 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
I was in Homewood not too long ago and it's still a nice little town. Will it stay that way? Hard to say. It's part of the South Suburbs, which have been in decline for years. I can tell you one thing, I know the police chief of Homewood and he's a top notch guy and I can guarantee that he'll do everything within his power to keep Homewood a safe and great place to live in the future.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,247 times
I currently reside in Homewood and the foreclosures are a real problem. I do not see the decline that everyone is talking about though. We did lose a few businesses downtown but we already have a martini bar, the South Suburban Food Co-op, Bottle and Bottega and a new salon and spa coming in to replace them. We also had a bat manufacturing company, Walmart, and Portillos either recently open or are coming soon.

Another concern many people have is about the high school. I hope they consider the International Baccalaureate and Gifted Academy offered at HF. We have students go to Ivy League universities every year from HF. We also have a park district and library that caters to the homeschooling community which is fairly large here. I don't hear many complaints about our elementary schools.

I don't know what to say about the concerns people have about the number of minorities moving in. I do hear about them but I also know of many people who grew up here who have come back to raise their children. They don't seem to mind.

I'm not saying Homewood is the best suburb to live in but it is a real option for those who want to be close to the city, part of a tight community with a lot to offer families and decent schools. We also have a great library and park district.

Oh and our police really are no joke. I always tell my husband that you can always spot a Homewood resident because they are likely going the speed limit..lol

Old 04-28-2016, 06:14 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,371,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverella View Post
I currently reside in Homewood and the foreclosures are a real problem. I do not see the decline that everyone is talking about though. We did lose a few businesses downtown but we already have a martini bar, the South Suburban Food Co-op, Bottle and Bottega and a new salon and spa coming in to replace them. We also had a bat manufacturing company, Walmart, and Portillos either recently open or are coming soon.

Another concern many people have is about the high school. I hope they consider the International Baccalaureate and Gifted Academy offered at HF. We have students go to Ivy League universities every year from HF. We also have a park district and library that caters to the homeschooling community which is fairly large here. I don't hear many complaints about our elementary schools.

I don't know what to say about the concerns people have about the number of minorities moving in. I do hear about them but I also know of many people who grew up here who have come back to raise their children. They don't seem to mind.

I'm not saying Homewood is the best suburb to live in but it is a real option for those who want to be close to the city, part of a tight community with a lot to offer families and decent schools. We also have a great library and park district.

Oh and our police really are no joke. I always tell my husband that you can always spot a Homewood resident because they are likely going the speed limit..lol
You are so right about that!!! Used to live in Flossmoor (which I loved) and learned that lesson the hard way. I loved living in the HF area. The best neighbors, the best events and activities for kids and families, the best libraries, my lovely tree canopied street...*sigh*

What I didn't love was the water in the basement/lower level. Ugh! As well as the simply outrageous property taxes. But that's another story .

Old 04-28-2016, 07:02 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,400 times
I see that Homewood-Flossmoor High School is only 21.3% white. There are not many white parents who would send their children to a school where they are a relatively small minority like that, and I think that limits potential buyers of homes there.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:05 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.connors View Post
So I checked out Homewood and Flossmore. Flossmore is in a school district where only a grade 4/10 mid school is. So I checked that off because my daughter is supposed to go to a at least 7/10 school. Her education is my highest priority in life.

Homewood has decent schools. It is in a recession since 2007 and has over 60% foreclosures of all houses on the market. Taxes are good, crime is low and everyone is on the move to get out which makes for good deals on real estate.

So anything bad about Homewood? Im just worried that the schools will go bad too, if all the people move out.
My family and I used to live in the area in the 80s, when we moved to NW Indiana. That area (on the IL side) has declined significantly and the decline was quite rapid.

I would be very reluctant to purchase a home in Homewood or Flossmoor at this point in time.

The 1st response, from Chet, is correct: the chances of continued decline are 100% and the chances of improvement are 0%.

Your home value will decrease (in nominal and inflation-adjusted terms) and your RE taxes will continue to rise.

If your purchase a home in Homewood, you'd be buying an depreciating asset with increasing carrying costs over time. Sounds like a losing proposition to me.

Last edited by LIS123; 04-29-2016 at 05:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: