Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 03:48 PM

5 posts, read 6,379 times

Advertisements

Hello Citizens!

First off with introduction: I am 21 year old single male, and I got recently got located for work in Joilet, Il. I have no knowledge of Illinois whatsoever but, I do know what kind of area I am looking for. I researched online and I found that Joilet wasn't the best place to live because of crime rate, nightlife, etc. I would like to live around young professionals too.

I was wondering where would be an optimal place to commute to Joilet Il? I would like a safe area yet cheap to live in (if thats not too much to ask for?) Night life would be nice but can't ask for everything.
I am also looking for around 10-45?min commute to work. Maybe not too far from Chicago would be nice too.

Side note: I am of asian descent and I would love to be around some asian culture in regards to food and groceries etc (but this is not a need).

Thank you for all the time in reading this post and please help a man out! Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 04:28 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
You best bet is almost certainly Naperville. One could definately drive to work in Joliet in 45 minutes or less depending on specific apartment / work locations. There have been fairly substantial number of families of Asian background in Naperville for many years, families that once may have had school aged children and now seeing adults that enjoy the nice amenities of town for singles and empty-nesters. There are several locally owned restaurants that represent all the major Asia nations as well as churches and such that all point to the roots laid down in Naperville.

As far as general "nightlife" Naperville is not nearly as good as spots in the traditional neighborhoods of Chicago that attract the big post-college crowds, though it would be much much harder a commute as well a bigger hassle for parking and safety. It is not too rough to head into Chicago on weekends from Naperville, lots of commuters also rely on speedy Metra rail service, though the service is not geared toward true "nightlife" crowd...

Old 04-19-2016, 04:43 PM

5 posts, read 6,379 times
Thank you so much! Naperville sounds perfect for me!

Old 07-01-2016, 11:57 AM

4 posts, read 3,189 times
Naperville does sound like a good fit for you, however it is a very up and coming affluent area so not cheap or affordable.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:20 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
I agree with everyone else. It's affluent, by downtown Naperville is the most expensive

Old 07-01-2016, 02:58 PM

1,874 posts, read 817,527 times
lot of orientals in Dwight

Old 07-01-2016, 04:06 PM

49 posts, read 65,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post

Old 07-01-2016, 08:04 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Bet there are a lot of negros in Joliet as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs