Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:56 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I thought you already crossed that bridge and moved on to MP? Still nothing yet? Forgot what you are looking for

The larger home on Central is still available in your price range. And there's this smaller one in Sherwood Forest, north of DF road, west of the Edens. Very nice neighborhood. Just less sf.

1905 Garland Ave, Highland Park, IL 60035 | MLS #09213771 | Zillow

cheers
Why is there such a large percentage of Hispanics at Sherwood Elementary and Elmwood Middle when compared to overall HP demographics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 02:35 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Default Highwood

Are you familiar at all with Highwood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Why is there such a large percentage of Hispanics at Sherwood Elementary and Elmwood Middle when compared to overall HP demographics?

Old 05-06-2016, 02:43 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Default Yikes

Yes, in that case- scratch it off the list

Meh- be careful though about the whole 'more not so spoiled families' attitude. Not sure where your grew up, but FWIW, I didn't grow up in the north shore and that was my bias too going in back in 2001. It's completely irrelevant, since those families pay taxes too and (some even) hold jobs. My opinion has vastly changed in this regard after many friendships have formed and I received more inside info vs hearsay. The 'snobby' vibe is overblown by outsiders to say the least. Encounter a pretentious person anywhere and just use sound judgement

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd555 View Post
I believe you are talking about https://www.redfin.com/IL/Highland-P.../home/17617619

I did not, all the "tour comments" and the taxes scared me away. This is a nice home but shotty construction, seems like basement flooded and was gutted to suds. Taxes at 17k a year...this will be difficult to appeal.

It finally went under contract.

I'm still going ot see a few higher priced HP properties in hopes of loving them...but honestly, MP seems more realstic...or prospect heights. For 300k you can get a decent size, close to transportation, more not so spolied families, just no waterfront and 30 min commute to work for wife.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:12 PM

143 posts, read 218,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Chicago fares notoriously poor in the COL comparisons, often due to clothing(?)!

Looking at comparable salaries, Chicago fares better than its big city counterparts on the coasts. I'm not sure about Texas.

Nonetheless, what are housing costs and commute times like in NW Indiana? Is there transit to the city center under 40 minutes and houses that are move-in ready sub 400K (all in good school districts, of course)?
400k in St. John or Schererville could get you a very nice brand new house or a slightly older home with a really nice yard. For example, I only paid <350k for my house built in 2006, and it offers a 3 car garage, finished basement, AND wood and pond views, something you just cannot get in any other Chicagoland suburbs for that price. In Munster, you could stillget a move in ready home, though it would likely be a bit older (though still better than the housing stock in comparable suburbs). And yes, NW Indiana does offer transit. Currently, you would drive to the South Shore station in Hammond, which is about 10 min from Munster. The train ride from there is only about 30-40 minutes. However, South Shore is planning on building a station in Munster, which could greatly improve commute times.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze55 View Post
400k in St. John or Schererville could get you a very nice brand new house or a slightly older home with a really nice yard. For example, I only paid <350k for my house built in 2006, and it offers a 3 car garage, finished basement, AND wood and pond views, something you just cannot get in any other Chicagoland suburbs for that price. In Munster, you could stillget a move in ready home, though it would likely be a bit older (though still better than the housing stock in comparable suburbs). And yes, NW Indiana does offer transit. Currently, you would drive to the South Shore station in Hammond, which is about 10 min from Munster. The train ride from there is only about 30-40 minutes. However, South Shore is planning on building a station in Munster, which could greatly improve commute times.
Here a nice examples of what you chould get in Munster if you're curious:
1246 Hemlock Ct, Munster, IN 46321 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 05-06-2016, 07:45 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,188,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze55 View Post
One of the big problems with NWI is that it's really not that convenient to most areas of employment. It's about as convenient as a town like Oswego which is also very affordable. Granted NWI is slightly closer to Chicago but Oswego would be better located for employment in the western suburbs and comparable to the southern or northern suburbs. The employment options are just limited when one lives in far reaching suburbs or an area like NWI. It works for some but not all and hence the significant discount in real estate prices.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
One of the big problems with NWI is that it's really not that convenient to most areas of employment. It's about as convenient as a town like Oswego which is also very affordable. Granted NWI is slightly closer to Chicago but Oswego would be better located for employment in the western suburbs and comparable to the southern or northern suburbs. The employment options are just limited when one lives in far reaching suburbs or an area like NWI. It works for some but not all and hence the significant discount in real estate prices.
Except for the fact that it's literally the same distance from Chicago as many of the North/West Suburbs (Vernon Hills, Barrington, etc.)? And yet my relatives who live in Vernon Hills paid upwards of $425,000 for a dated house with no yard, not to mention that's it's in a very 90s cookie-cutter vinyl village. I'll give you that it's not close to the white collar jobs of the North suburbs, but there are plenty of jobs in the city of a few million. Oswego is at least an hour to the Loop with no traffic, and I can get to the Loop in 30 min on a really good day. Nice try though. It really amazes me how much Illinoians underapprediate NW Indiana and its commute to Chicago (and Southern WI to a degree). But I'll keep saving my few thousands in taxes while you pay well over $10,000 a year in taxes.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:30 PM

493 posts, read 980,810 times
In Hanover Park last November we sold for a decent profit, bought at $165 in 2013, sold at $185 in 2015, but that could be an anomaly since it is a cheaper starter home. Got the offer about 2 weeks after listing, closed a month later.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:00 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Actually there was a lot of work at the Whiting refinery a few years back. And there is train service to the loop, as well as express bus service from Harvey to Oak Brook. So it is not quite the wasteland it appears to be.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:32 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
In Hanover Park last November we sold for a decent profit, bought at $165 in 2013, sold at $185 in 2015, but that could be an anomaly since it is a cheaper starter home. Got the offer about 2 weeks after listing, closed a month later.
What did you clear after selling fees (buyer agent commission, seller agent commission, attorney, property tax, etc)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs