Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,770,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The WASPy North Shore disappeared, except for Kenilworth, Lake Forest, and parts of Winnetka, in the Eisenhower era. Evanston is about 15% Jewish and Wilmette 25%. The largest minority in Evanston is African American and in Wilmette it's Asian. Everybody who can afford it here is welcome.
Where did you get those figures. While both Evanston and Wilmette have a Jewish presence, I think it is more like 1 or 2 % Jewish in Evanston. There is a much bigger presence in Skokie and I don't see many orthodox in Evanston. Note that there are a significant number of people who are non-religious in Evanston as well. There are many churches of various denominations. There is a Zen Buddhist Temple and a Moslem community center. There are plenty of Hindus living in Evanston though most attend Temples in Chicago. There are two Catholic schools and churches. There are all kinds of Protestant Churches from Baptist to Lutheran to Methodist to Presbyterian to AME, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 05:56 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,871,032 times
For Wilmette, I've looked through my kids' school phone lists for Jewish-sounding names. For Evanston, I'm just guessing. My guesses include Jews who are not religious.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:53 PM

12 posts, read 27,099 times
Talking Whoa there people.....

Gee, and all the OP wanted to know was whether or not their kids would feel wierd observing Christmas.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,770,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
Gee, and all the OP wanted to know was whether or not their kids would feel wierd observing Christmas.
LOL... and of course, they would not feel weird as there are plenty of people who celebrate Christmas in both Evanston and Wilmette.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:53 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,387,641 times
I'm not sure if this is accurate, but according to a link featuring the private universities with the greatest number of Jewish students, Northwestern University falls into #6 in the nation.

Here's the link:

http://reformjudaismmag.org/_kd/Item...ation=ShowItem

They estimate that the university has approximately 3,000 Jewish students enrolled. Not sure how accurate this is. The magazine also lists that they amount to 38% of the student population at Northwestern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Where did you get those figures. While both Evanston and Wilmette have a Jewish presence, I think it is more like 1 or 2 % Jewish in Evanston. There is a much bigger presence in Skokie and I don't see many orthodox in Evanston. Note that there are a significant number of people who are non-religious in Evanston as well. There are many churches of various denominations. There is a Zen Buddhist Temple and a Moslem community center. There are plenty of Hindus living in Evanston though most attend Temples in Chicago. There are two Catholic schools and churches. There are all kinds of Protestant Churches from Baptist to Lutheran to Methodist to Presbyterian to AME, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs