Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2016, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,319 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved down to Georgia about 8 years ago for work, but would now like to move back to Illinois now that my job has ended.

We have two young kids and two small dogs and would like to rent in Oak Park for a year before deciding exactly where we would like to buy a house permanently. I most likely not have a job at first, but will have ample cash to put down as a security deposit. I'm not seeing a ton of rentals on Zillow and would like to know if there is a better source on rentals for Oak Park.

Since we have dogs we would prefer renting something akin to a house than live in a multistory apartment building. We also don't know the exact date we would move in since our house is still on the market. I'm sure this will cause some issues with registering for schools, but we'll see. I'm hoping the dogs won't cause us problems finding a place to rent, they are small and don't cause us any trouble (except barking at the doorbell).

Any info would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 03:26 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
You could try posting on here...

Mod cut.

It will be harder to find a house, but not impossible. Even if you did see something now, it might not be available for the time you'd like to move. Fortunately, things open up this time of year, so keep checking.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-19-2016 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: You may not link to a competing website.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:30 PM

748 posts, read 833,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraPolarIce View Post
My wife and I moved down to Georgia about 8 years ago for work, but would now like to move back to Illinois now that my job has ended.

We have two young kids and two small dogs and would like to rent in Oak Park for a year before deciding exactly where we would like to buy a house permanently. I most likely not have a job at first, but will have ample cash to put down as a security deposit. I'm not seeing a ton of rentals on Zillow and would like to know if there is a better source on rentals for Oak Park.

Since we have dogs we would prefer renting something akin to a house than live in a multistory apartment building. We also don't know the exact date we would move in since our house is still on the market. I'm sure this will cause some issues with registering for schools, but we'll see. I'm hoping the dogs won't cause us problems finding a place to rent, they are small and don't cause us any trouble (except barking at the doorbell).

Any info would be appreciated!
When I considered Oak Park, I found three solid options, all on Craigslist. However, you'll need to be in town to see them and rent right away. People who put up ads often want to move supply and to rent quickly.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:09 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
there are 82 places listed on Hotpads for Oak Park some of them are houses.

https://hotpads.com/oak-park-il/apartments-for-rent

Of course they go quickly but you can keep looking at it and eventually you might find something.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,319 times
Thanks, I'll try Craigslist and Hotpads!

I do have a friend in Oak Park who can look at places for me if a decision needs to be made quickly.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 6,107 times
A stone throw away from Forrest Park. Check there to.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:15 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,314 times
The rental market isn't that great around here. Inventory is low, and prices have skyrocketed. Doesn't mean that it's impossible to find a rental, but just letting you know. What's your budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: