Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Homewood be a safe place to live in 10 years?
YES 34 59.65%
NO 23 40.35%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 53,937 times

Advertisements

I am looking at buying a house in Homewood, Illinois and have some questions.

Diversity, Crime, and Property Values:

We have been warned that nearby areas such as Hazel Crest, Markham, and Dolton, Country Club Hills, Chicago Heights with increasing diversity, the prices of homes have declined, and crime has gone up.

But in Flossmoor/Homewood with increasing diversity the prices of homes have stayed stable and gone up, and crime has stayed very low? We even read that downtown Homewood will now feature $200-300,000 condos near the train station to be built in the summer of 2006.

This is just hard to understand since it seems there is "Diversity in Diversity."

I would love to hear from residents of Homewood who can say what they think is going on in this very nice looking and seemingly safe and friendly multicultural place.

We really do love it. As a minority/majority couple we like diversity, but are trying to find a mix that allows us to walk after dark and let women and children walk a mile to the train station or jog after work without worry.

Diversity, Schools, and Property Values:

Also, we have noticed that the Homewood/Flossmoor school district has had a rising number of students who are not up to state standards. If this increases this could be a problem for the district, and home values, and also crime rates. Schools, values, and crime all seem to be related.

If anyone might comment on the Homewood/Flossmoor district it would be very helpful.

I know these are sensitive issues, but as a diverse family we are looking for a place where we can all have a nice safe life in the Southland so your reasonable opinions would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:42 AM

4 posts, read 34,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish
I am looking at buying a house in Homewood, Illinois and have some questions.

Diversity, Crime, and Property Values:

We have been warned that nearby areas such as Hazel Crest, Markham, and Dolton, Country Club Hills, Chicago Heights with increasing diversity, the prices of homes have declined, and crime has gone up.

But in Flossmoor/Homewood with increasing diversity the prices of homes have stayed stable and gone up, and crime has stayed very low? We even read that downtown Homewood will now feature $200-300,000 condos near the train station to be built in the summer of 2006.

This is just hard to understand since it seems there is "Diversity in Diversity."

I would love to hear from residents of Homewood who can say what they think is going on in this very nice looking and seemingly safe and friendly multicultural place.

We really do love it. As a minority/majority couple we like diversity, but are trying to find a mix that allows us to walk after dark and let women and children walk a mile to the train station or jog after work without worry.

Diversity, Schools, and Property Values:

Also, we have noticed that the Homewood/Flossmoor school district has had a rising number of students who are not up to state standards. If this increases this could be a problem for the district, and home values, and also crime rates. Schools, values, and crime all seem to be related.

If anyone might comment on the Homewood/Flossmoor district it would be very helpful.

I know these are sensitive issues, but as a diverse family we are looking for a place where we can all have a nice safe life in the Southland so your reasonable opinions would be very helpful.

Thank you.
Homewood is a great community and has great schools too!!

Old 04-27-2006, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 53,937 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks. Everyone I talked to on the street, of all races and ethnicities from Chicago to University Park had nothing but praise for Homewood!

Old 05-07-2006, 08:45 PM

3 posts, read 36,197 times
Thumbs up homewood is excellent!

Homewood is wonderful!!! It is a very peaceful, safe and frankly pretty community. It's location is ideal for Chicago commuters. The library in town is top-notch. The housing stock is amazing; you get a lot more house here for the money than in say Flossmoor. Moreover, the downtown is adorable and offers all sorts of amenities, excellent eateries and many things to do. The park district is fabulous and recreational life is very rich here. Incomes are higher than most other south burbs, the schools are top-notch and home values are very stable. There is diversity here and it works just fine and makes Homewood even more appealing.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:20 PM

16 posts, read 111,510 times
I don't live there, but I know that Homewood is a nice community--residents are well-educated, earn good incomes, and the public schools and park district are excellent. High property taxes, but worth it. Homewood and Flossmoor are diverse communities--people of all races are moving in and out of the community, but values are increasing because of the good schools, homes are well-maintained, and there is lots of shopping, from the quaint downtown area to the revitalized area along Halsted.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:14 PM

8 posts, read 57,160 times
Homewood's a great little town--I used to live there until I moved to Flossmoor (wanted to be closer to the train and kids' schools).

It needs to be said, tho, that diversity in and of itself isn't a great thing for a community--it's diversity within the same socioeconomic class that's the thing. If you share the same ideas on civic and neighborhood duty and behavior, diversity is an outstanding thing.

That's the kind of diversity Homewood and Flossmoor now share.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 13,644 times
8 years ago, I was told Homewood will not be Homewood by next year, well they were wrong. Because of it Diversity my children are not ignorant adults, Value of my house gone up 200% in 8 years and because I am one the Diversity, race is not a factor in my life. I live in Homewood, My children go to school here and my business is here.

I guess my point is, if Diversity scares you then Homewood is not for you.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 19,792 times
If you want unbias information, check city-data.com for actual city data.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 07:11 AM..

Old 07-16-2007, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 13,194 times
Red face Balanced Diversity

I think the key to a good town is balanced diversity. You want a little mix of all races, religions, etc.... I think when you get into those neighboring towns the dilemma is that they aren't so diversified.

If you have a school system that is 90% of any particular race, that really isn't diverse. Homewood has that balanced diversity, where as Hazel Crest (not that Hazel Crest isn't a lovely town and a great place to raise a family) and some of the other towns you have mentioned do not.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:41 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,002 times
Homewood and Flossmoor both are great little towns with lots of no-nonsense cops! Thats the real reason the crime rate is staying down. Police in both of those two towns are busting their cans to keep H/F a safe community and not let them go down the tubes the way some of the towns around there have went, so the police can have a tendency to be rather rough at times. The areas are patrolled very, VERY, VERY thoughrolly! I always dred driving in those areas and am sure to keep my radar detector on as I have friends who have gotten tickets in those towns for doing as little as 6 MPH over the speed limit!

Its always been a joke with my friends and I as in those little towns the cops will get you for doing a mile over, yet Orland Park cops are usually riding your butt trying to get you to get out of their way so they can speed like all get-out and blow the red lights one right after another while gabbing away on their cell phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs