U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:02 AM

1,967 posts, read 3,579,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfrog <> View Post
What on earth is wrong with 95th east of Kedzie??? To me it looks nice. Laugh if you want ajolotl, but I actually look forward to visiting The Plaza when I get the chance.
Visiting it as a novelty is one thing. Having it be your best local shopping option is something entirely different.

And what looks so nice on 95th between western and kedzie? Is it the Plaza, the abandoned Ford dealership, or the new Wings and Things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 12:37 PM

21 posts, read 3,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Visiting it as a novelty is one thing. Having it be your best local shopping option is something entirely different.

And what looks so nice on 95th between western and kedzie? Is it the Plaza, the abandoned Ford dealership, or the new Wings and Things?
You might be right about that. RiverOaks can get a little dull after awhile. At lease their going to add a second level and a 5th deparment store. Heck, I won't even have to go there since Lynwood is getting it's own mall!! YEAH!! FINALLY!!

What looks so nice east of Kedzie?? The Walmart*, the smaller stores, Little Company of Mary, etc.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfrog <> View Post
You might be right about that. RiverOaks can get a little dull after awhile. At lease their going to add a second level and a 5th deparment store. Heck, I won't even have to go there since Lynwood is getting it's own mall!! YEAH!! FINALLY!!

What looks so nice east of Kedzie?? The Walmart*, the smaller stores, Little Company of Mary, etc.
You're right. I should have said up to California. Wast of California is much nicer. I kind of like Coffee Cafe.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:54 AM

1,070 posts, read 1,691,582 times
What's this Sonoma's Coffee coupon I've got? Do you all think it's worth me checking out?

Is this place west or east of California?

Old 08-13-2009, 01:58 PM

It is just east of california, across from the hospital. I think it's a nice spot. Not as hip as a north side joint but is a nice area to lounge and have a decent cup of coffee. There is a breakfast bar and a tv nook also.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
It is just east of california, across from the hospital. I think it's a nice spot. Not as hip as a north side joint but is a nice area to lounge and have a decent cup of coffee. There is a breakfast bar and a tv nook also.
Hip doesn't really tune into my station. I'm fine as long as I have somewhere to sit, maybe watch TV and read. Great that you mention a breakfast nook. Starbucks "has" one, but it's nothing worth mentioning...

anyway, thanks and I will check it out.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Hip doesn't really tune into my station. I'm fine as long as I have somewhere to sit, maybe watch TV and read. Great that you mention a breakfast nook. Starbucks "has" one, but it's nothing worth mentioning...

anyway, thanks and I will check it out.
I should have said that the quality isn't what you'll find in many hipper north side places (such as Peete's), but it's pretty decent.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM

925 posts, read 1,941,029 times
Hows the access to public transit and what is the housing stock like?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
Hows the access to public transit and what is the housing stock like?
Well, there's the 95th street, Western, Kedzie, Pulaski, buses...of course the Metra station is very close. I'm not too good with public transit since I don't use it on a regular basis. Try Google Maps, I think they have a feature that allows you to highlight main streets and bus/train lines.

Housing stock is mostly SFH and (in my opinion *don't kill me*) medium--large condos. Some homes are very old (1920s-1940s), some a bit more modern 1950s-1970s), and the rest are new (1980s-). You may not have a huge backyard, but you will have a nice lot. Entertaining will be relatively easy in a home like that. More than likely the house has a detached garage (or maybe it's just the area I was in). I've seen newer homes with attached garages.

The houses are usually one or two story homes, around 3 beds and I'm guessing 'round two baths. Sounds like typical suburbia to me.

I must say that if you are an admirer of good, solid homes, I'd look for an older home. It's worth it, because it will have character and usually has a cozy homey feel to it. Older homes, while they may need work (like mine) usually are worth it simply for their beauty or charm.

Last edited by deechee; 08-14-2009 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: left a few things out

Old 10-14-2009, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,110 times
totally agree. i moved to EP 12 years ago and when my daughter turned of age to attend H.S i wanted so badly to put her in EP HS but it was filled with others that don't live in the neighborhood. If you watch the 99th St Kedzie bus after school ends, you'll see that they take the bus back from the neighborhood they are from. I pay these HEAVY property taxes and had to put my daughter in a private schoo
l elsewhere... wish i could have pocketed that money ($50K for 4 yrs)! THAT'S A SHAME THAT I CAN'T EVEN ENJOY WHAT I PAY FOR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs