Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,500 times

Advertisements

Hello. My family is relocating to Chicago from a suburb of Detroit and we are considering Evanston, along with other areas north of there. I've heard it is a great city and we like the fact it is somewhat urban-suburban. Yet some tell us there are some very sketchy parts of Evanston.

Given we are from Detroit, we're not familiar with what areas are sketchy and frankly sketchy means different things to different people. Detroit has many sketchy parts, but you don't live or go there, and the areas tend to be contained. We don't want to move into an area where we have to be on guard 24/7. We are considering the area around Forest & Kedzie, but before we do, I would very much appreciate knowing if being only 2 blocks north of Calgary Cemetery is an area that is safe for a family with two teenagers to live.

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 10:38 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Stay away from the area around Howard Street and the area near the high school and you should be fine. Note that SE Evanston is mostly safe with the crime being concentrated around Jonquil Terrace and near the City of Chicago border.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Crime Data for Evanston, IL - Trulia

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:22 AM..

Old 07-09-2016, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,500 times
Nana053,

Thank you for the speedy response! I really do appreciate it. If you don't mind me asking one more question…given the area you mention is only 1 mile away, which is basically running distance to where I am considering, is it considered an unsafe part of Evanston? I've looked at various crime maps and the "unofficial" Evanston map posted on this site, but would like to know what insiders think.

Thanks again,
Lexi456

Old 07-09-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi456 View Post
Nana053,

Thank you for the speedy response! I really do appreciate it. If you don't mind me asking one more question…given the area you mention is only 1 mile away, which is basically running distance to where I am considering, is it considered an unsafe part of Evanston? I've looked at various crime maps and the "unofficial" Evanston map posted on this site, but would like to know what insiders think.

Thanks again,
Lexi456
If you are along the lake 1 mile north than no, it is not unsafe. If you are 1 mile west, I don't think so either, but I can't tell without a more specific location.

If give the address, then I can give more information. We lived at 719 Hinman and never felt unsafe at all. We have also lived in north Evanston and never felt unsafe. Frankly, I don't think you need to worry unless you will be in the Juneway Jungle which is a small triangle near the border of Evanston and Chicago.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:06 PM

82 posts, read 91,392 times
I would stay away from the cemetery. I had a friend that had a condo near the cemetery and he's 6'7" and he didn't like living there. Also, down south by Chicago & Main there are a few buildings for people with issues - not exactly sure what but I'd stay away from those buildings - a lot of adults hanging around and smoking/drinking in the nearby park all day. But overall I think most areas of Evanston are really nice. I spent my childhood on the NW side and lived downtown Evanston a bit after college. Sometimes looking at elementary school data can help you identify areas you would prefer or want to avoid.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccpfinn View Post
I would stay away from the cemetery. I had a friend that had a condo near the cemetery and he's 6'7" and he didn't like living there. Also, down south by Chicago & Main there are a few buildings for people with issues - not exactly sure what but I'd stay away from those buildings - a lot of adults hanging around and smoking/drinking in the nearby park all day. But overall I think most areas of Evanston are really nice. I spent my childhood on the NW side and lived downtown Evanston a bit after college. Sometimes looking at elementary school data can help you identify areas you would prefer or want to avoid.
The building you are referencing is fine. People living there are not dangerous, they just don't have a lot of resources and things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: