U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:15 PM

281 posts, read 965,885 times

Advertisements

Despite years of convincing myself that I'd always be a city dweller, my bourgeoning family has changed my mind and I'll be moving to the 'burbs (specifically, Evanston) this spring. As much as I love raising kids in the city, the logistics all seem easier (and cheaper) in the 'burbs for a family with four kids.

I know lots of you out there made a similar move after having kids...anyone REALLY regret it? Has anyone actually moved back to the city? I'm really interested in hearing from folks with kids, as it's pretty easy for me to envision childless couples making a move and missing the excitement of the city. So, parents - anyone wish they'd just stayed in the city instead of moving out? If so, why??

(If you're really glad you made the move to the 'burbs, tell me that too. Maybe it will ease my mind on this whole thing...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 01:24 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,281,282 times
I'm single and I've enjoyed moving back to the burbs. Yes, I grew up there so it might be different. But I think I would rather leave the area entirely than move back to Chicago. Also, while Evanston is technically a suburb....its not....really. I can't imagine it would be that hard or much of a lifestyle shock for you.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:28 PM

Yeah, but we'll be in north Evanston. It's pretty suburban up there.

One of my friends (who lives in the west burbs) says his wife complains that all anyone wants to talk about out there is home remodeling, vacations, and other major purchases. She says conversation in the city is somehow more thought-provoking, maybe less materialistic. That seems overly stereotypical to me. Is it?

Old 02-18-2008, 01:40 PM

Yes, it is.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:55 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,831,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
That seems overly stereotypical to me. Is it?
I doubt every person who moves to the burbs feels the need to talk about their stock portfolio 24/7. On the other hand, cities have a greater cross section of people living in close proximity to each other, and by choice or not, you are exposed to a greater range of ideas and beliefs.

People move to the suburbs for the illusion of greater freedom, but it is where there is density - more people & more kinds of people, more buildings & more kinds of buildings - that there are more choices.
- Sandy Sorlien

Old 02-18-2008, 02:00 PM

people are mobile, most people in the suburbs (besides me) spend a lot of time in the city or are connected to it. You might work with them and talk with them on a regular basis....the suburbs are not another planet and you probably interact with those people on a regular basis already, especially if you live or work dowtown, or simply talk with people at restaruants and bars.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:06 PM

216 posts, read 654,802 times
For most of us we are only a train ride away from the city. I don't regret living in the suburbs at all. When I get to feeling I miss the city, I plan a train ride downtown and then venture from there. Driving isn't always so horrible either on the weekends. There are intelligent, thoughtful people in the burbs too. Especially in a college town like Evanston. You'll be fine. If you hate it you can always move back someday. Many empty-nesters are doing that once their kids are grown and gone.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the early thoughts. I really don't want this thread to take a "here's another city guy that thinks he's too cool for the suburbs" turn. I grew up in the 'burbs, my family is there, all my coworkers are there, etc. The question about whether everyone talks about material stuff was sort of tongue-in-cheek, although I do wonder whether typical downtown discourse is different, possibly because there are so many disparate viewpoints around, and there are always new goings-on with theater, restaurants, development issues, etc. to talk about when you live downtown.

So let me rephrase a little bit - are there parents that feel like they or their kids are missing out on something by being in the burbs? Again, does anyone think they made a bad decision by moving out there from the city?

Old 02-18-2008, 03:04 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,831,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Thanks for the early thoughts. I really don't want this thread to take a "here's another city guy that thinks he's too cool for the suburbs" turn. I grew up in the 'burbs, my family is there, all my coworkers are there, etc. The question about whether everyone talks about material stuff was sort of tongue-in-cheek, although I do wonder whether typical downtown discourse is different, possibly because there are so many disparate viewpoints around, and there are always new goings-on with theater, restaurants, development issues, etc. to talk about when you live downtown.

So let me rephrase a little bit - are there parents that feel like they or their kids are missing out on something by being in the burbs? Again, does anyone think they made a bad decision by moving out there from the city?
Again, at least from my standpoint Evanston is a nice mix of both suburban/urban mentalities, and I'm sure your kids will turn out fine

Old 02-18-2008, 03:26 PM

220 posts, read 659,954 times
Well, my son is only 8 months right now, but we are very happy in our move to the "suburbs" - though we live only 2 blocks in Oak Park from the city limit on Austin.

We really like Oak Park and are going to be very happy raising our son in Oak Park, and really, it will be no different than having him growup in Galewood or Beverly in the City (as you know the City have many neighborhoods that are indistinquishable from neighboring suburbs).

Actually, I even breakup Oak Park into sections under "urban" and "suburban". Within Oak Park I would rather live in the central section or far southern end. They are more "urban" in form and accessiblity to transit and services on foot. Their are sections of Oak Park (particularly northwest) that is much more "suburban" and therefore less interesting or desirable to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs