Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 33,145 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be relocating to Chicagoland from South suburbs of Cleveland next month, working in Joliet, IL, west side of river. Its just my wife and I. What are the nice and safe places to live?Initally we are planning to live in a rental like an apartment, then look for a home later on. Since I dont have much idea, I am thinking rent to be around $1000, decent distance(5-8 miles) to Groceries, shopping etc, most importantly safe place to live. We really dont want to live in Ghetto or Mexico or any place with high Crime rate. Place where my wife can drive to a Wal-Mart during day time and come back safely. Driving upto 20 miles one way is also OK. Please share your thoughts and knowledge. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 01:22 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,368 times
Shorewood, Plainfield, New Lenox, Lockport, are good, safe areas near Joliet and the west side of Joliet itself has many good, safe areas. If you are looking to be near lots of shopping, route 59 through Shorewood/Plainfield is lined with shopping and restaurants.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:24 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Western Joliet is quite nice and booming like you wouldnt believe. You can also live in nearby Plainfield which is also growing like a weed. There is every imaginable amenity in that area too, and a short drive to Naperville for some good nightlife and great dining.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:02 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,802 times
Here is an area in nearby Channahon/Minooka that is really nice. Check these out. Photos of Mallard Point Channahon, IL (broken link)

Old 02-19-2008, 02:09 PM

Also, this is a good place to search for rentals in the area:
Herald News :: Classifieds ::

Old 02-19-2008, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 33,145 times
Thank you sbd78, Steve-O, NYrules. One more question, How are Crest Hill, Crytsal Lawns. I just saw these places between Plainfield and Joliet on Google maps, want to know if you have some idea. Also, What will be approx price (ballpark fig.) for a single bedroom rental? Thanks again for your time and thoughts.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleOrd View Post
Thank you sbd78, Steve-O, NYrules. One more question, How are Crest Hill, Crytsal Lawns. I just saw these places between Plainfield and Joliet on Google maps, want to know if you have some idea. Also, What will be approx price (ballpark fig.) for a single bedroom rental? Thanks again for your time and thoughts.
I'm not sure where the Crystal Lawns area is, but I looked on a map and it looks like it is right by the Westfield Louis Joliet Mall? If so, the area around the mall is nice.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:05 PM

16 posts, read 189,053 times
Crystal Lawns is one of the first owner-completion subdivisions in the Joliet area so the houses are usually between 30 and 40 years old...nice houses on a slab foundation. The area has nice mature trees (what are left after the tornado of '99) and the area is safe. Some older people who have lived there a long time and younger families just starting out. I'd recommend it.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:19 PM

72 posts, read 263,046 times
west joliet is great......check out that area b4 crystal lawns.. ...Great amenities and great schools

Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 16,421 times
I new to this and have no idea what I am doing..I tried to start a new post but i am guessing that I don't know how??? My question is this: My son is thinking about going to school at The University of St. Francis in Joliet, Ill. I would like to know what kind of area the school is in and if it's safe?? Can anyone help answer some of my questions???
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs