Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,756 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I'm new here.

I live in Asia now, and I am going to stay in the US for two years (temporary business).
My family (my wife and 3 kids) do not like city life and want to live in the suburbs of Chicago.
Safety is our first priority.
We prefer an apartment over a house and we can afford paying $1,500 for rent.
I should commute to the University of Chicago and I prefer public transportation.
I think I can do up to a 1-1.5 hour commute.

We are going to move to Chicago in January.
I don't have any information and have no idea where to live.
Will it be hard to find a home in January?
Can I find a home soon after we arrive there? or should I find one before we leave here?

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 12:46 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,314 times
NW Indiana is more affordable than Illinois and the commute is about the same as a suburb in Illinois that isn't out of your price range. Look at Munster

Old 08-03-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
NW Indiana is more affordable than Illinois and the commute is about the same as a suburb in Illinois that isn't out of your price range. Look at Munster
Thanks a lot for providing me another good option. However, there are only few available houses at rental websites now. I will keep going to try in the NW Indiana also. Do you have any recommendations in the western suburbs of Chicago?

Old 08-03-2016, 05:51 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
There have been other similar threads, try searching the forum for University of Chicago. I'm not familiar with the suburbs that might work, but Homewood and Flossmoor are often recommended. Your budget might be a little low if you're looking for 3 bedrooms.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:54 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
The OP needs to have a realistic budget and better define their priorities.

Illinois property taxes are very high, that funding largely is used to support schools. In many communities with high quality schools and even quite a few with poor schools but low property values it is not uncommon for property taxes alone to be in excess of $500/mo for even a very modest home. The situation is not much better for condos or apartments.

If the OP wishes to rely on Metra rail service it might make sense to look at Homewood-Flossmoor, but as those towns face increased pressure of their meager financial resources they are decreased in their attractiveness to those who value schools and other amenities.

It is a manageable drive to UofC from towns like Brookfield or LaGrange but it is probably not realistic to find a family sized apartment for $1500/mo.

The difficulty of living in NW Indiana is not just the paucity of rentals compared with the greater Chicago area, but also the necessity to drive to a rail station and rely on a car for pretty much all needs.

If the OP is concerned that Hyde Park is like downtown in an Asian capital they would do well to even explore it through online resources like Google maps -- it is be the leafiest parts if Chicago with many nice parks for kids and parents as well as nice beach access and good kid friendly resources like the Museum of Science & Industry which has several clubs / informal science outreach activities. While rents are not cheap for safe places near the University it is a good value factoring the lack of commute costs and ease of getting around the neighborhood without extensive driving.

Makes sense to reassess budget and focus on reality of what sorts of things one would experience in suburban rental vs Hyde Park...

Old 08-03-2016, 07:11 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
You can live in any suburb that has a metra train. There is a shuttle bus that goes from the metra stations to the University of Chicago everyday (between certain hours). My friend has done it for years. Alternatively you could live in a suburb like Oak Park, Westmont, or Berwyn and take the "L" (subway) into the downtown area and catch the bus as well. I mention these because of your rental price. There are others but rents will be more expensive.

Your budget for rent is not very great you will need a larger apartment with three children. Keep in mind that many Land lords will think you need a three bedroom apt. There are very different senses of how many people should fit in an apt. here and land lords are reluctant to rent a small apt. to five occupants even if they are children. I suggest you look at south Berwyn, as well as maybe a place like Brookfield. They are both served by metra trains. Here is a link to some places in Berwyn that fit your budget. I am a landlord in Berwyn, its generally safe and there are shops around. A variety of schools and some private schools too like Montessori.

I would stay away from the south suburbs. Mostly they are not nice and too easy to make a mistake on location. Don't be fooled by cheap rents.

https://hotpads.com/berwyn-il/apartments-for-rent

The apartments on Ridgeland and also on Euclid are nice and within your budget. The one on Euclid is a beautiful and spacious vintage apt. Of course they will be gone by January but it gives you the idea of what you can get. January is not a prime time for rentals, May and Sept-Oct. are the biggest months here but rentals are available anytime.

Shuttle bus
http://www.transitchicago.com/bus/192/

Last edited by ToriaT; 08-03-2016 at 07:35 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 07:39 AM

Thanks so much! This is most useful. I think I should increase my budget for rent.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:40 AM

You are welcome. If you could go to 1800-2000 you could get a bigger place in a better school district. If you could go to 2 k you could even rent a house which would be more ideal since you have children. Here is an idea of what you could get.

https://hotpads.com/2929-maple-ave-b...513-uh3gmx/pad

Old 08-03-2016, 09:28 AM

529 posts, read 647,549 times
Berwyn would be a good choice for your budget, but if your kids are school age the schools are not that great. Riverside, Brookfield or Lagrange would have better schools. On Zillow, I found two 3-bedroom apartments available in Riverside for $1,500 actually.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:31 AM

The schools are better in Riverside and Brookfield. However there is a Montessori school in Berwyn and a few other private schools. Also some nursery schools too.

Lectura Montessori School | Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs