U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2006, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 18,529 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am moving to Chicago for work. I have 2 daughters in elementary school am a single mom and am hoping for some assistance. My work is in Naperville, but want to choose a neighborhood that is best for kids and am not scared of a commute. I am looking from Lincoln Park to Naperville, all the way along the Eisenhower and Ronald Reagan Expswy. I am looking at public and private schools, have garnered interest in Buck town, Oak Park, Riverside Brookefield, Hinsdale, and Naperville. I know its a large area with lots of options but any advice helps. Mainly school and neighborhood recommendations? Also, any advice on which dance schools are the best? My daughters compete and attend class 4 days a week where we are now so looking for something comparably serious, mainly ballet? Anything helps.

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 11,319 times
Default Chicago area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristieeanderson View Post
Hi everyone,

I am moving to Chicago for work. I have 2 daughters in elementary school am a single mom and am hoping for some assistance. My work is in Naperville, but want to choose a neighborhood that is best for kids and am not scared of a commute. I am looking from Lincoln Park to Naperville, all the way along the Eisenhower and Ronald Reagan Expswy. I am looking at public and private schools, have garnered interest in Buck town, Oak Park, Riverside Brookefield, Hinsdale, and Naperville. I know its a large area with lots of options but any advice helps. Mainly school and neighborhood recommendations? Also, any advice on which dance schools are the best? My daughters compete and attend class 4 days a week where we are now so looking for something comparably serious, mainly ballet? Anything helps.

Thank You!
I can't help you with the dance schools, but I know that the Naperville schools have an excellent reputation. There are also some areas in Aurora that feed to Naperville schools but cost less to live in. There is a lot to do in the Naperville area as well. For school information, I'd recommend www.greatschools.net. I am a teacher and used it when looking for my last job. Good luck with your move!

Last edited by ilgirl; 11-29-2006 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-01-2006, 09:52 PM

198 posts, read 724,018 times
I am a realtor and agree that if you need your dollar to stretch a bit further, the Aurora area with District 204 is a great option. Many other affordable communities have sections that feed into good school districts. For example, parts of Woodridge feed into Naperville as well as Downers Grove schools. Parts of Westmont feed into Hinsdale Central - one of the best schools in the state. Downers Grove has a wonderful ballet school where my daughter took, the Midwest Ballet Academy. Also the Salt Creek Ballet in Hinsdale is very well known. The sections of the city you mentioned are really expensive. Plus the commute to Naperville will be a killer, about 1-1/2 hours each way in rush hour traffic. If you need a realtor, let me know.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:16 AM

332 posts, read 1,385,706 times
For best results - do what you can to live in Naperville

Old 12-06-2006, 11:58 PM

19 posts, read 82,140 times
Wink moving to Chicago

Most of the places you refer to are close (or in) the city. Expect extremely high cost of living along with higher commute time and higher "city-type" problems. Congestion, polution, noise are a few to think about.

Once you get on the west side of 294 things slow down and space out dramatically. Among the extremely ritzy are Oakbrook and Hinsdale. Plan on million dollar houses.

Naperville can be VERY pricey also. As you move west of Naperville towards Aurora it starts getting sketchy. So staying between Naperville and Hinsdale is all safe. (some of Woodridge is also dicey). To the North I would go as far as Wheaton all the way to Elmherst. Villa Park is a little sketchy.

I would stay North of 55. West of 294. East of 59 (although Geneva is nice) and South of North Ave.

That is for quiet Suburbia. As you get closer to the city there are still nice areas, just spaced out more.

Just remember ------ TRAFFIC is murder. 7-9 am and 4-6 pm. Stay off the road. If you live by the city you WILL spend 3 hours of each day driving to and from Naperthrill. That's a serious consideration.

Also, Naperville has THE BEST downtown in the burbs. They call it Little Chicago.
Next would probably be Downers Grove (buy a house quick before the market raises again, they're a fortune). Or I guess Glen Ellen or Elmhurst.

Good Luck and post any other questions

Old 12-07-2006, 12:26 AM

2,007 posts, read 4,218,900 times
Since I'm a north suburbanite that has always lived either in the northern suburbs or on the north side of the city (plus a brief NW Indiana stint when i was really young), I'm usually not the best person to consult when it comes to detailed specifics in the western suburbs, but I do have a pretty good idea of the region (western Cook County burbs & DuPage County and beyond). "crappinatbernies" definitely appears to be an expert on the western suburbs so I'd definitely consult with him some more if you have questions about that area. I have an uncle actually that lives in the suburb of Willowbrook which is sandwiched in between the wonderful towns of Hinsdale, Burr Ridge, Darien, and Westmont (and I guess Clarendon Hills also) right around the point where 294 & 55 meet (and quite close to Hwy 83 aka Kingery Hwy). His area seems quite nice and liveable for sure. But it is certainly not cheap. Some of the neighborhoods and housing stock in Willowbrook even reminded me of certain areas in the northern burbs like parts of Glenview. The housing stock in Burr Ridge was gigantic and many of the McMansions reminded me of the newer portions of Lake Forest (West Lake Forest). And yes of course Naperville can be almost classified as a city itself since it has a population of about 100,000 and about 4 public high schools to boot. You'll certainly have many places to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappinatbernies View Post
Most of the places you refer to are close (or in) the city. Expect extremely high cost of living along with higher commute time and higher "city-type" problems. Congestion, polution, noise are a few to think about.

Once you get on the west side of 294 things slow down and space out dramatically. Among the extremely ritzy are Oakbrook and Hinsdale. Plan on million dollar houses.

Naperville can be VERY pricey also. As you move west of Naperville towards Aurora it starts getting sketchy. So staying between Naperville and Hinsdale is all safe. (some of Woodridge is also dicey). To the North I would go as far as Wheaton all the way to Elmherst. Villa Park is a little sketchy.

I would stay North of 55. West of 294. East of 59 (although Geneva is nice) and South of North Ave.

That is for quiet Suburbia. As you get closer to the city there are still nice areas, just spaced out more.

Just remember ------ TRAFFIC is murder. 7-9 am and 4-6 pm. Stay off the road. If you live by the city you WILL spend 3 hours of each day driving to and from Naperthrill. That's a serious consideration.

Also, Naperville has THE BEST downtown in the burbs. They call it Little Chicago.
Next would probably be Downers Grove (buy a house quick before the market raises again, they're a fortune). Or I guess Glen Ellen or Elmhurst.

Good Luck and post any other questions

Old 12-12-2006, 03:48 PM

4 posts, read 34,694 times
um, downtown naperville resembles chicago in no way..as a matter of fact naperville is an unfortunate cess pool of homogeneity, wealth, SUVs, Soccer Moms, Huge houses, farmland, suburban sprawl...No good public trans either..god i don't know if I hate naperville or schaumburg more

Old 12-12-2006, 05:10 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHITOWNREP9 View Post
um, downtown naperville resembles chicago in no way..as a matter of fact naperville is an unfortunate cess pool of homogeneity, wealth, SUVs, Soccer Moms, Huge houses, farmland, suburban sprawl...No good public trans either..god i don't know if I hate naperville or schaumburg more
Of course it doesnt LOOK like Chicago, but for what it is as far as recreation goes, its pretty close. Lots of coffeehouses, lots of shopping, sports, biking and swimming, concerts, restaurants, nightlife, bars. There are several Pace buses that run around, as well as lots of taxis and two train stations. What do you mean by not public trans? For a town of 150K people, Id say its got all the amenities of Chicago, just on a tiny scale.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:04 AM

17 posts, read 59,535 times
Default Moving to Chicago area

Everyone swoons at the Naperville area and schools. I live in Downers Grove and love it--schools are excellent, taxes are much less and the hype is understated also.

I looked in the Naperville area, but it was just a lot more expensive without the pop for the cash although I do go to both downtown Naperville and Downers Grove.
I think one of the best extras about living in DG are the delis or little stores--and one of the best kept secrets--we have small old time grocery stores with good prices, great delis(I know of 3) that I go to rather than always hitting the supermarkets. There are many ethnic stores in this area which also leads to some fantastic finds(Russian, Polish, German, Italian, Greek, Hispanic, Korean, Chinese and Japanese that I've travelled through although I haven't made it to the Thai or Indian markets).

On dancing, I do know of some Irish dancing and a couple of ballet schools in the area/town, but I'm not sure on what they offer:Good luck in your search!
KJ

Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 18,529 times
Thank You so much everyone! All of your posts were very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or