Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:44 PM

1,299 posts, read 850,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
No, they will try to get you to buy something since it involves a commission. Selling a cheaper property is better than none at all. Just be firm with whomever you hire to find a home for you that your budget is not more than <example figures> 108% of [180K-250K], etc.

I honestly believe you will do better raising your range just a tad since those were previously 300K homes and likely had a basic update or two banged out already. The truth is, Chicago is generally expensive. 180K simply no longer goes far enough. YMMV.

Out of curiosity though- how *do* you know that you would necessarily be approved for more(?)

cheers
Approved for more than 250? Not 100% but I've been qualified in the past for 500 but I didn't buy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 07:18 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
Approved for more than 250? Not 100% but I've been qualified in the past for 500 but I didn't buy
What you were approved for in the past won't necessarily mean much now.
FWIW, my self-employed friend was approved pre-2008 for a massive loan
that would not fly so well today

Old 09-16-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
Hmm I see your points
So should I increase my range?
Focus on a smaller yet nicer home ?
What kind of homes lose the most value in a recession?
Do not buy a 2 bedroom SFH. Focus on either a 3/2 or 3/1 in a good school
district. Size not as important as overall condition.

Generally, the homes well above both yours and my price range suffer more
during a housing downturn. YMMV

Old 09-16-2016, 08:13 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Nonsense

Quote:
Do not buy a 2 bedroom SFH. Focus on either a 3/2 or 3/1 in a good school
district. Size not as important as overall condition.

Generally, the homes well above both yours and my price range suffer more
during a housing downturn. YMMV
The evidence from both the most recent housing downturn and many others is that PRICE is not a critical factor!

Some of the strongest price recovery was in quite high priced areas such as Hinsdale while many relatively low cost areas in the southern suburbs are flat if not declining.

Some moderately priced areas, notably in NW DuPage Co, with poor transit options and very car-centric development patterns have also lagged.

Some of the worst declines were in artificially inflated areas on the fringes...

For superior immunity to price declines, participation in upward price trends, and overall better housing value the keys remain LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

Old 09-18-2016, 10:16 AM

748 posts, read 832,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
There's a few around 200 that need work. There's some at 210 220 that are small but decent
Links please?

Old 09-18-2016, 02:55 PM

17 posts, read 12,709 times
You might look further south, like Frankfort, Mokena, Tinley Park, New Lenox. When we were looking to buy, we looked at LaGrange but we wanted more bang for our buck. Frankfort has high taxes, so be sure to check those out throughly before you buy. Good luck!

Old 09-19-2016, 07:27 AM

748 posts, read 832,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The evidence from both the most recent housing downturn and many others is that PRICE is not a critical factor!

Some of the strongest price recovery was in quite high priced areas such as Hinsdale while many relatively low cost areas in the southern suburbs are flat if not declining.

Some moderately priced areas, notably in NW DuPage Co, with poor transit options and very car-centric development patterns have also lagged.

Some of the worst declines were in artificially inflated areas on the fringes...

For superior immunity to price declines, participation in upward price trends, and overall better housing value the keys remain LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!
Chet, would you say that location is an important thing to consider in real estate?

Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 AM

Default An important factor???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Chet, would you say that location is an important thing to consider in real estate?
Probably THE MOST IMPORTANT factor!

Even when looking primarily in towns that are mostly quite desirable picking a location that is undesirable can mean risking hundreds of thousands in value -- homes adjacent to negative items can decline in value even as homes just a short distance away soar in value. I have seen this repeatedly when there is something like a gas station that lacks an adequate buffer to residential properties...

When comparing homes in different town to each other it often makes sense to get opinions from third parties who can be less emotional about how the home in the less desirable town probably won't retain value over the long haul. Often when a buyer sees a "just right" home in a less desirable area they'll mentally overlook the negatives that will likely cost them a fortune in the long haul / during downturns...

Old 09-19-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Probably THE MOST IMPORTANT factor!

Even when looking primarily in towns that are mostly quite desirable picking a location that is undesirable can mean risking hundreds of thousands in value -- homes adjacent to negative items can decline in value even as homes just a short distance away soar in value. I have seen this repeatedly when there is something like a gas station that lacks an adequate buffer to residential properties...

When comparing homes in different town to each other it often makes sense to get opinions from third parties who can be less emotional about how the home in the less desirable town probably won't retain value over the long haul. Often when a buyer sees a "just right" home in a less desirable area they'll mentally overlook the negatives that will likely cost them a fortune in the long haul / during downturns...
ROTFL Are all stop signs red, too?

Chet, I'm fairly certain the person you replied to was being facetious.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:37 AM

Default I don't doubt that but it still worth pointing out ...

Quote:
ROTFL Are all stop signs red, too?

Chet, I'm fairly certain the person you replied to was being facetious.
I am sure that folks that do their homework when it comes to real estate values probably get tired of hearing those of us that "get it" repeat the importance of location over and over but when I drive around and see brand new subdivisions being priced at levels that are not justified by the quality of schools, poor access to transit, and questionable longer term value it ought not be a surprise that the message needs reinforcing.

BTW --
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs