U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-22-2008, 04:04 PM
 
3 posts, read 8,046 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I just accepted a job offer from a company in Hoffman Estates, and I need some direction on housing.

I've lived in Chicago previously, and absolutely loved living in the city. However, I hated the commute from my apartment out to Oakbrook, where my previous employer was. So, now I'm faced with a decision: do I chance living in the city again, and hope that the commute doesn't drive me nuts, or look for a place in the suburbs?

Were I to live in the city, I'd like to live in the Lakeview neighborhood, if that helps give you an idea of what I'm looking for. If I'm in the suburbs, something near I-90 would be nice. At the same time, I'd still like that urban feel, just without the commute.


A little about myself: age 23, born and raised in the Midwest, and work in technology. Like going to bars and watching movies.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2008, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Chicago's burbs
1,013 posts, read 3,347,696 times
Reputation: 896
If you don't want to deal with the long commute from the city to Hoffman Estates, you might want to check out Schaumburg. It has decent nightlife as far as suburbs go. (Obviously the city has much better nightlife.) Lots of restaurants and shopping as well, and an easy commute to Hoffman Estates. The city will be the most fun for someone your age, but will also be a rough commute. Sounds like you already know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2008, 05:46 PM
 
58 posts, read 176,797 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybiz View Post
I just accepted a job offer from a company in Hoffman Estates, and I need some direction on housing.

I've lived in Chicago previously, and absolutely loved living in the city. However, I hated the commute from my apartment out to Oakbrook, where my previous employer was. So, now I'm faced with a decision: do I chance living in the city again, and hope that the commute doesn't drive me nuts, or look for a place in the suburbs?

Were I to live in the city, I'd like to live in the Lakeview neighborhood, if that helps give you an idea of what I'm looking for. If I'm in the suburbs, something near I-90 would be nice. At the same time, I'd still like that urban feel, just without the commute.


A little about myself: age 23, born and raised in the Midwest, and work in technology. Like going to bars and watching movies.

Ideas?
In my opinion, if you have already lived in the city and loved it (for obvious reasons), I think you're going to regret it if you decide to live in the burbs this time, even if the commute isn't ideal. I would take full advantage of your age/work situation and live it up downtown. After all, nothing compares to the City...

OPSMAN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2008, 06:20 PM
 
4,501 posts, read 10,832,580 times
Reputation: 4032
Have to agree with opsman,,at your age, burbs aint going to cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2008, 08:15 PM
 
162 posts, read 568,450 times
Reputation: 77
Kids - burbs

None - city

Yes, it is that simple.

The commute may suck, but it won't suck as bad as being a single guy living in the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2008, 08:39 PM
 
3 posts, read 8,046 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Kids - burbs

None - city

Yes, it is that simple.

The commute may suck, but it won't suck as bad as being a single guy living in the burbs.
Well, 23, no kids. So, I guess it's back to the city for me. Can anyone give me a realistic idea of the commute from Wrigleyville to Hoffman Estates outbound in the morning and inbound in the afternoon? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2008, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,420 posts, read 5,153,683 times
Reputation: 1347
for what its worth...I disagree with everyone but I Get tired of saying it. Theres tons of young people in the suburbs, especially around hoffman estates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2008, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 15,075,425 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybiz View Post
Well, 23, no kids. So, I guess it's back to the city for me. Can anyone give me a realistic idea of the commute from Wrigleyville to Hoffman Estates outbound in the morning and inbound in the afternoon? Thanks!
Depends on the time and a variety of other factors. I would say anywhere between one hour to one and a half. Maybe 45 minutes if all streets and 90 is clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2008, 10:33 PM
 
2,141 posts, read 5,727,576 times
Reputation: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Have to agree with opsman,,at your age, burbs aint going to cut it.
I agree. If you loved the city, you'll be hard pressed to find a suburb that you'll be happy in. Schaumburg would be the best option for proximity to Hoffman Estates. Schaumburg is large and has a decent amount of entertainment options, but you'll be driving everywhere and it's very suburban...it's a suburb. Maybe take the job in Hoffman Estates, deal with the commute to the city for a year and then start looking for a new job in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top