Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 08:56 PM

188 posts, read 209,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
Actual question (ok, I don't remember the exact names and numbers, it's been a few years) my daughter was asked on homework one month into kindergarten in Glencoe: "If Bob is 68 inches tall and Jane is 5 inches shorter than Bob and Fred is 11 inches taller than Jane, how many inches are the three of them combined?" They were also reading The Boxcar Children at that point.

Now, this was the highest level of differentiation they had, only 3 of about 100 students were in this mini-class, and the three of them spent most of their time bored to tears in the regular class, so it wasn't perfect on a few levels. But it certainly was challenging for them.
Impressive! This could make me move to glencoe. There is NO differentiation in Wilmette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 08:30 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
Impressive! This could make me move to glencoe. There is NO differentiation in Wilmette.
Wow, that surprises me a little. How about middle school at least?

Old 10-04-2016, 09:07 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
But wait! Illinois is the greatest place on earth and Atlanta sucks ... maybe the schools in GA weren't so bad after all?
Atlanta does suck and wild horses couldn't drag me back to that hell hole. The suburban school district we were in back there was heavily Asian, which may account for the more advanced curriculum.

Regarding the people, atmosphere, culture, food, etc., Illinois is a much better place than Georgia!

Old 10-04-2016, 12:52 PM

33 posts, read 73,767 times
Quote:
Avoca offers differentiation and a gifted program (if you don't want to move too far!)

I don't know how long ago his child was in Kindergarten, but nothing like that currently exists in the Glencoe elementary schools (I can't speak for middle school). There is no gifted program and very little differentiation. My daughter is in 1st grade and they will not do anything for her despite the fact that she was identified as HG and is way ahead of her peers (ex: she's reading at 5th grade level). All the kids have to work at the same pace and level. They do have separate reading groups but since no other children are reading at the 5th grade level my daughter has been placed in the 2nd grade reading level group. I very nicely asked the school to give her more challenging work, give her more challenging books, even send home more challenging work if they couldn't manage the differentiation during the school day... anything they could do to keep her engaged I would be very grateful for...and they declined all of my requests. As a result, we plan to move to a school district that offers differentiation and a gifted program.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:57 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czem View Post
Avoca offers differentiation and a gifted program (if you don't want to move too far!)

I don't know how long ago his child was in Kindergarten, but nothing like that currently exists in the Glencoe elementary schools (I can't speak for middle school). There is no gifted program and very little differentiation. My daughter is in 1st grade and they will not do anything for her despite the fact that she was identified as HG and is way ahead of her peers (ex: she's reading at 5th grade level). All the kids have to work at the same pace and level. They do have separate reading groups but since no other children are reading at the 5th grade level my daughter has been placed in the 2nd grade reading level group. I very nicely asked the school to give her more challenging work, give her more challenging books, even send home more challenging work if they couldn't manage the differentiation during the school day... anything they could do to keep her engaged I would be very grateful for...and they declined all of my requests. As a result, we plan to move to a school district that offers differentiation and a gifted program.
Wow. I am shocked that D25, feeding into NT eventually, has nothing for her. Truly, the time for that school to seize the day and properly address her needs is NOW. Property taxes aren't exactly cheap there either(!)

Old 10-04-2016, 04:27 PM

33 posts, read 73,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Wow. I am shocked that D25, feeding into NT eventually, has nothing for her. Truly, the time for that school to seize the day and properly address her needs is NOW. Property taxes aren't exactly cheap there either(!)
Although D35 is a small district, I find it hard to believe our situation is unique which is why I was surprised at the resistance from the school. We are paying exorbitant property taxes for a school that probably has the resources to, but does not want to, address our child's needs. Many high-performing districts (for example, Deerfield, HP, Libertyville, Barrington to name a few) seem to offer differentiation and gifted programs and I wonder why NT feeder districts don't offer them (minus Avoca).

Old 10-04-2016, 09:29 PM

313 posts, read 596,603 times
Quote:
And then they fired the differentiation teacher at South (k-2) and didn't replace her. Really not sure what to do with school. Between my problems with Evanston/Kennilworth/Winnetka as a child (my parents kept moving us in search of the promised land of challenging public school) and our problems with our daughter's education, it seems like the only time everyone was happy was with New Trier math in junior high.
Quote:
I don't know how long ago his child was in Kindergarten, but nothing like that currently exists in the Glencoe elementary schools (I can't speak for middle school).
She's in third grade. Yeah, they just fired the differentiation teacher a couple of years ago. It's been very frustrating.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:51 PM

93 posts, read 90,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
And then they fired the differentiation teacher at South (k-2) and didn't replace her. Really not sure what to do with school. Between my problems with Evanston/Kennilworth/Winnetka as a child (my parents kept moving us in search of the promised land of challenging public school) and our problems with our daughter's education, it seems like the only time everyone was happy was with New Trier math in junior high.

She's in third grade. Yeah, they just fired the differentiation teacher a couple of years ago. It's been very frustrating.

Quote:
Although D35 is a small district, I find it hard to believe our situation is unique which is why I was surprised at the resistance from the school. We are paying exorbitant property taxes for a school that probably has the resources to, but does not want to, address our child's needs. Many high-performing districts (for example, Deerfield, HP, Libertyville, Barrington to name a few) seem to offer differentiation and gifted programs and I wonder why NT feeder districts don't offer them (minus Avoca).

I figured Glencoe would have the resources, and will, to accommodate kids who are way ahead. This is disappointing.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:22 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
Find out if your school has a Gifted & Talented pull-out program - not all districts have this, but the curriculum can be 2-4 grade levels ahead, depending on district. Then, research if/how your kids can be qualified for it. And be prepared to advocate strongly for them.

If this does not work, look into private schools.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 10-12-2016 at 07:34 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 07:56 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
Quote:
That is disappointing. We chose Barrington because of the gifted/advanced track and have been very happy with it. Overall, the high school doesn't rank at the levels of e.g. New Trier, but since I know what my kids have been doing in the gifted program, overall rankings don't matter much to me.

FWIW, before we moved to this district I pulled my son (2nd grade) out of his reading class (1st period) every day in order to partially homeschool him because the teacher was ineffective and he wasn't challenged. I have a flexible work schedule so could do this and, importantly, the Illinois school statutes support partial homeschooling and virtual schooling. By the end of the year, his reading scores had jumped significantly. He qualified for all gifted programs (reading/math) at the new school and has been on a fantastic path ever since - now looking at top colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs