Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:50 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperduck View Post
Hi!

I will be starting a new job in Glenview, IL in Feb 2017, and need your advice on where to live. I am a single 24 years old and enjoy the company of my peer group. For the past 18 months, I have been living in a small rural town in Ohio, so I would like to experience the city life again. However, traffic is a big concern of mine because I was raised up in Atlanta and from what I have heard, Chicago is worst. Right now, I would love it if my commute to work is 20 minutes and 20 minutes to Lincoln Park/ Wrigley Field/ Downtown Chicago. I have heard that going north in the morning and south in the afternoon aka reverse commute is not that bad. Is that true? As for price, the max that I am comfortable with paying for rent is 1100. If I missed anything, please do advise.

Thanks,
No way you will have a 20 minute commute either by car or public transportation for 20 minutes coming from Glenview to or from Lincoln Park and even moreso going to downtown (like Michigan ave & Chicago Ave area).

You might be able to do that living in Evanston which is city-like and you probably could find something in Evanston, but no farther south than that (toward the city).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 08:27 AM

12 posts, read 10,177 times
It is safe to say that I was naive to think that my travel time will be 20 minutes away from Glenview and Lincoln Park if I were to stay in the middle and apply the reverse commute theory. It seems like the best option for me is to stay in Evanston, but I am hesitant to live in a college town. Any other options? Thank you very much for your help!

Old 10-20-2016, 09:20 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,226 times
Quote:
It is safe to say that I was naive to think that my travel time will be 20 minutes away from Glenview and Lincoln Park if I were to stay in the middle and apply the reverse commute theory. It seems like the best option for me is to stay in Evanston, but I am hesitant to live in a college town. Any other options? Thank you very much for your help!
Evanston isn't really a college town. The downtown is very nice and there's a lot to do. Also easy access to Chicago via Metra and the L. There's a somewhat active thread on this ATM.

Are you working in the Glen or off Willow Road? If so, the North Glen Metra Station is within walking distance.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:51 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Evanston isn't really a college town. The downtown is very nice and there's a lot to do. Also easy access to Chicago via Metra and the L. There's a somewhat active thread on this ATM.

Are you working in the Glen or off Willow Road? If so, the North Glen Metra Station is within walking distance.
No, of course not in the literal sense, but compared to the surrounding suburbs it certainly is a 'college town'

The OP would be mostly priced out in Evanston though. The same $1100 goes further living outside of Evanston due to NU.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:12 PM

12 posts, read 10,177 times
I will be working on Harlem Avenue =]. Have you guys checked out a website call Apartments.com? There are plenty of apartments under 1100 in the Lincoln Park/ Lincoln Sq/ Evanston area.

If I want to go to Chicago/Lincoln Park/ Wrigley Field I should live near the Metra and the L? What is the L?

Old 10-20-2016, 02:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
ITW campus. That is a short walk from the Golf station on the Metra MD-N. The hip areas deep in the city would not be a short commute for you. It would be a long miserable commute on the Edens and Kennedy especially in the afternoon and the MD-N doesn't really go through any hip areas as well other than perhaps downtown. I'd probably recommend Evanston as your best bet. You could take either the CTA from there right into the heart of Chicago. Evanston also has some young people and hangouts. Skokie near one of the yellow line stations would also give you that option but Skokie itself is kind of meh. Roger's Park is a mixed bag and not in a good way.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 10-20-2016 at 02:27 PM..

Old 10-20-2016, 03:43 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Quote:
I will be working on Harlem Avenue =]. Have you guys checked out a website call Apartments.com? There are plenty of apartments under 1100 in the Lincoln Park/ Lincoln Sq/ Evanston area.

If I want to go to Chicago/Lincoln Park/ Wrigley Field I should live near the Metra and the L? What is the L?
The EL (L) stands for Elevated Train and is Chicago's transit system within the city limits. Think of it as the subway.

The Metra is the suburban train that spokes out from the city and gets people home out in the 'burbs. Some city dwellers still take the Metra because it has stops in the city before reaching the suburbs.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:27 PM

93 posts, read 90,747 times
Consider a roommate situation for 6 months, and then decide where you want to live. There's a young professional renting a room & bathroom of a condo in downtown Evanston. I'd want to confirm that it's a private bathroom, and talk to prior housemates. The building is in a great spot for Evanston--near bars, brew pubs and whatnot--and very convenient to the purple line & Metra.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:57 AM

186 posts, read 243,079 times
I would avoid the 'L' and stick with metra for going downtown. The 'L' can be gritty.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:01 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
I would avoid the 'L' and stick with metra for going downtown. The 'L' can be gritty.
WHAT??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thousands of people take the L downtown every single day. At any rate, you aren't answering the OP's question. OP is NOT going to be working downtown.

OP, someone mentioned east Rogers Park, i don't know if that would be a great location for you unless you can get dedicated parking. My sister lives right by a beach and loves it, but she takes the L to work. Parking can be a real hassle at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs