Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 04:47 PM

457 posts, read 975,991 times

Advertisements

Just moved to McHenry County from West Coast. I know most cable and internet customer service sucks. Trying to decide on Comcast cable internet or AT&T fiber optic?

Xfinity internet $19.99 up to 10 mbps/$49.99 after 12 mos

U-verse internet (fiber optic) $30.00 up to 6 mbps/$40.00 after 12 mos

If I go with the fiber optic, I can use the existing cable in every room for my Directv. If I use the
existing cable for the internet, I will have new Directv cable installed in 2 rooms.

Any thoughts on the lessor of two evils?

Last edited by chgodon; 11-13-2016 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 08:12 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,157,040 times
Default Double check options...

Right now ATT is running specials on Uverse triple package of 24 Mbs, TV, and VOIP phone for $60.

Xfinity has similar deals.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:11 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,224,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
Just moved to McHenry County from West Coast. I know most cable and internet customer service sucks. Trying to decide on Comcast cable internet or AT&T fiber optic?

If I go with the fiber optic, I can use the existing cable in every room for my Directv. If I use the
existing cable for the internet, I will have new Directv cable installed in 2 rooms.

Understand, quality/speeds can vary from location to location. My brother in law near San Francisco has FTTH (fiber to the home), which is not available where you currently live in IL. Xfinity DOCSIS 3 would be my choice if max speed was a priority. If the Directv wiring is more important to you, then perhaps go with ATT.

IMHO, discounted or not, sub 10Mbps speeds are ridiculous if you are near an urban area such as Chicago.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Right now ATT is running specials on Uverse triple package of 24 Mbs, TV, and VOIP phone for $60.

Xfinity has similar deals.
Most people won't actually receive the 24 as advertised by ATT unfortunately.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:43 AM

From what I understand ATT has upgraded the technology for its whole network, including each "node" to support speeds of up to 100Mbs -- AT&T's $14B Project VIP: breaking out the business service, U-verse numbers | FierceTelecom

AT&T U-verse Expands Speed Upgrade | Multichannel

There have been numerous lawsuits over ISPs failing to deliver advertised speeds I suspect that ATT is not so foolish at to promise speeds that are not possible, that would explain why they are promoting the 24Mbs service, they achieve 45 Mbs by "bonding" two 24Mbs channels...

Frontier to pay $150M to West Virginia to settle lawsuit over broadband speed | FierceTelecom

CenturyLink Accused Of Falsely Advertising Internet Speed - Law360

Old 11-14-2016, 09:55 AM

2,755 posts, read 4,397,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post

Note.... AT&T may fail to mention that they now "rent" their modems to you, adding another ?$7+ dollars per month. And Xfinity tries to sneak in many start up/installation costs (as does AT&T). AT&T is easier to get them to waive those start-up costs though.

They are both evil, but Comcast more so. Every area is individual, but I had more problems with Comcast customer service.

So now I re-negotiate with AT&T every year, when they try to increase my price. I always review the current Comcast offer, ask them to beat it and give me a loyalty discount.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
From what I understand ATT has upgraded the technology for its whole network, including each "node" to support speeds of up to 100Mbs -- AT&T's $14B Project VIP: breaking out the business service, U-verse numbers | FierceTelecom

AT&T U-verse Expands Speed Upgrade | Multichannel

There have been numerous lawsuits over ISPs failing to deliver advertised speeds I suspect that ATT is not so foolish at to promise speeds that are not possible, that would explain why they are promoting the 24Mbs service, they achieve 45 Mbs by "bonding" two 24Mbs channels...

Frontier to pay $150M to West Virginia to settle lawsuit over broadband speed | FierceTelecom

CenturyLink Accused Of Falsely Advertising Internet Speed - Law360
I will repeat, IL is not in the area of FTTH, so speeds won't be good for residential ATT UVERSE customers in the vast majority of areas. At least not for the near future. If you re-read the article you posted, it's mostly referring to their business customers and not focusing on residential. They only offer FTTH to new housing developments in areas that are less built out such as TN or NV. Those areas are also much less costly for ATT to roll out such services vs the expensive northern cities with 'old' infrastructre headaches to deal with.

Keep in mind even bonding two 24Mbs channels is still less desirable technology for residential locations than cable companies that are using DOCSIS 3.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:32 AM

Default The technology has changed ...

The service marketed as "uverse" is primarily supported by "fiber to the node". ATT had invested significant resources in the underlying technology of VDSL2 and their copper-to-the-home is essentially on par with Comcast infrastructure. The technical features of DOCIS 3 transmission standards are well known and suffer from limitations too...

Old 11-14-2016, 12:45 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,591,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I will repeat, IL is not in the area of FTTH, so speeds won't be good for residential ATT UVERSE customers in the vast majority of areas. At least not for the near future. If you re-read the article you posted, it's mostly referring to their business customers and not focusing on residential. They only offer FTTH to new housing developments in areas that are less built out such as TN or NV. Those areas are also much less costly for ATT to roll out such services vs the expensive northern cities with 'old' infrastructre headaches to deal with.

Keep in mind even bonding two 24Mbs channels is still less desirable technology for residential locations than cable companies that are using DOCSIS 3.

I will add to this, ATT has two types of UVERSE, the old copper based which is limited to 45 mbs at best. They also have fiber to the house which is usually on found in newer subdivisions which have fiber vs. copper. My subdivision is 1/3 of the way finished and ATT came in and put fiber to every house here.

It is based upon your little area not total geography overall.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
The service marketed as "uverse" is primarily supported by "fiber to the node". ATT had invested significant resources in the underlying technology of VDSL2 and their copper-to-the-home is essentially on par with Comcast infrastructure. The technical features of DOCIS 3 transmission standards are well known and suffer from limitations too...
Yes, but DOCSIS 3.1 is backwards compatible and will offer 1GBps speeds over the same HFC without the headaches of UVERSE upgrades that require a lot more digging to achieve. That's why ATT focuses on new developments in the southern and western US. They don't have to absorb as many infrastructure expenses there to gain additional revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs